Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Uk Easter meet in sheffield anyone?

Farmman · 241 · 23067

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Uk Easter meet in sheffield anyone?
Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 02:50:27 PM
Guys, I've been speaking to Farmman a bit behind the scenes and I'm going to be giving him a hand helping out where necessary. We were both thinking it would be nice to offer something a little different to the proceedings, especially if anyone wishes to be here longer than a day, and here's what we have on offer so far.

Food, beer, sharp and shiny things, good people, giggles ....

These all go without saying for the Easter meet  :D but I said it anyway  :P

There is the potential for other stuff too, and really it's up to everyone how much or how little we want to do besides the obvious stuff above. Here's some of the options we may have available:

Car Boot Sale
Mark's our resident Tony  :P and knows where and when the good boot sales are, so arranging that would not be a problem

Police and Fire Museum:
Originally one of the UK's first purpose built Police and Fire stations, but now apparently ...

The Museum is now the Worlds ONLY Fire & Police Museum's and it's Tower is the only still standing Fire Service Tower of it's type in the UK.

Exhibits include vehicles, equipment, reconstructions, history, and there's a crime section ... where I know there's knives  >:D
Open Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday 11:00 - 17:00
£4.00 entry

Weston Park Museum & Millenium Gallaries:
Open 11:00 - 16:00 - Free entry
May well be something of interest (Weston Park is a good museum - never been to the other) - but probably not much re knives and tools

Kelham Island Industrial Museum:
A history of manufacturing including the Sheffield steel industry, the 12,000 horsepower River Don Engine (big scary bugger), a Bessemer Converter and the invention of mass produced steel, Grand Slam "Dambusters" Bomb aka Earthquake Bomb (heaviest ever produced), loads of interesting hand tools including a few old exhibition knives and loads of other stuff including:

POTENTIAL EXCLUSIVES  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
The Year Knife is held there under lock and key and is not on general display - primarily I believe for security reasons, and I have been told that we may be able to view this by appointment. Stan Shaw, Sheffields last remaining Little Mester may possibly be in attendance too, and available for discussion and to view some of his work - both completed and in process. This again may be by appointment only and I am awaiting full details. Stan is a octagenarian who still commands a 4 year waiting list for any of his knives, and was one of the few guys who did the whole spectrum of knifemaking - from forging, grinding, treating, assembly and finishing. All his components, blades, scissors even corkscrews are produced purely by hand, and the only powered machinery he uses is a polisher!!!

Open Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday 11:00 - 17:00
£4.00 entry ... but awaiting confirmation on the potential "extras"

Shepherd Wheel:
A Ye Olde waterwheel driven cutlery workshop, historically producing scythes and other "large blades". Earliest records of this workshop is a sales transaction (the workshop was already a fully operational site at this point) way back in the 1400's !!! It has just undergone a full refurbishment and it is officially planned for reopening later in the year back in full working order

POTENTIAL EXCLUSIVE:  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
There is the potential of being granted an exclusive preview of the workshop in operation before being opened back up to the general public. There may not be blade forging being carried out, but there would almost certainly be the opportunity to see the waterwheel and the internal grinding areas in action - powered of course by the refurbished wheel. Details to be confirmed if there is any interest

No Working Factory Visit  :-[
Chances of visiting a working factory will be none, as obviously it is a Bank Holiday weekend and everyone will be closed.

I'm hoping to have a little more info tomorrow but that might just be revised contact details just in casewe do want to get a party together and follow up on any of these. I've got a couple of other ideas up my sleeve incase anybody wants to be "active".

Of course, if we all just want to sit around and chill - there's that option too  :D :D :D

Feel free to shout up on anything that is or isn't of interest so I can start digging and finding out whose ribs I need to poke  >:D or just closing the doors I've got my foot in  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 03:01:57 PM
By the way ... I meant THIS year knife ...

... as I believe THIS year knife ....

... may already be on display

The Norfolk Knife ...

... will not be available to view as that and several other pieces are in a seperate location we will not have access to over the Easter weekend.

Wenger Giant ... eat your heart out!!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 06:50:54 PM

I love the idea of meeting Stan!  :ahhh

Thanks for all the work you guys are putting in to this  :salute:

Everything’s adjustable

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 09:00:17 PM
car boot sales, museums, beer, good chat and multitools?  Sounds perfect to me. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 09:33:14 PM
It would help us if we knew when folks would be here as well as who's planning on coming. I know it's early days yet, but when you know what days you'll be around, if you could update days and interests/preferences to the list it would help us try and see if and when anything should be booked in advance

Cheers  :salute:

1. Gareth.
Museums / car boot / beer / tools
Days?

2. 50ft-trad   
Beer / tools / Kelham Island and a pint in the Fat Cat after  >:D
Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon (as required  :) )

3. Sparky415
Stan / car boot / beer / deforestation
Days?

4. badwolf
Preferences?
Days?

5. Neil
Preferences?
? / Saturday / ? / ?

6. Farmman   
Preferences?
Days? (it's your bloody house mate - when's it open? )

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 11:30:42 PM
I reckon I could be around from Friday night to Sunday evening at the least. :)

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 11:45:49 PM
I will fit in with everyone else. I of fancy kelham island. Car boots are on Sunday mornings and if you want the pick of stuff bloody early. As for when will the house be open well at the very least the side gate can be left open to access the back. More than likely if we split into groups keys can be sorted. I can trust you all right?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 11:49:29 PM
I will fit in with everyone else. I of fancy kelham island. Car boots are on Sunday mornings and if you want the pick of stuff bloody early. As for when will the house be open well at the very least the side gate can be left open to access the back. More than likely if we split into groups keys can be sorted. I can trust you all right?
:whistle:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 12:59:13 AM
:whistle:

:D

Fingers crossed I should be able to take a few bods anyway - still awaiting final confirmation but everything looks good so far  :D Splitting into groups won't be a problem - there's plenty of options mate :tu:

So that's ...

1. Gareth.
Fri Night / Sat / Sun

2. 50ft-trad   
Beer / tools / Kelham Island and a pint in the Fat Cat   
Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon (as required   )

3. Sparky415
Days?

4. badwolf
Preferences?
Days?

5. Neil
Preferences?
? / Saturday / ? / ?

6. Farmman   
Kelham Island / Car boot / beer / tools
Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon

Not much interest on Shepherd Wheel thus far so I might let that topic fade out slightly tomorrow and pursue options at Kelham Island. I've had confirmation that Cutlers Hall is a no go Mark (can't remember if I mentioned that before  :think: ) Shepherd Wheel is maybe a little out of the way anyway unless we start adding the Round Walk to the list  :ahhh :ahhh  :P

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 01:24:12 AM
I'd come up Friday night but would have to leave Sunday afternoon at the latest. Beer, tools and Kelham island sounds good. Is that BBQ getting fired up :think:

1. Gareth.
Days?

2. 50ft-trad   
Beer / tools / Kelham Island and a pint in the Fat Cat after 
Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon (as required   )

3. Sparky415
Days?

4. badwolf
Beer / tools / Kelham Island and a pint in the Fat Cat after 
Fri/Sat/Sun

5. Neil
Preferences?
? / Saturday / ? / ?

6. Farmman   
Preferences?
Days? (it's your bloody house mate - when's it open? )

Oh and no mention of any hookers >:D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:33:46 AM by badwolf »
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 01:38:24 AM
Oh and no mentions of any hookers >:D

We'll arrange a special trip down Attercliffe for you mate  :tu: It used to be brimming with steelworks, but there's a whole different industry down there these days  :P

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 03:40:36 AM
Just a little request, does anyone coming have these tools, Wingman or Sidekick, Crunch and an Octane :pok: would like to have a little look, I'll be bringing what I have :tu:
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 07:01:18 AM
I have a crunch. Used it last night.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 08:14:04 AM
and I have an Octane that I'll bring along. :)

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 08:26:40 AM
Quote from: badwolf link=topic=35612.msg575153#Is that BBQ getting fired up :think:
[img
http://img.tapatalk.com/5ad6819f-5e63-0d94.jpg[/img]
They will be available. I have 3 in the garden. I hosted a friends civil partnership & they where left.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 09:26:37 AM
Oh and no mentions of any hookers >:D

We'll arrange a special trip down Attercliffe for you mate  :tu: It used to be brimming with steelworks, but there's a whole different industry down there these days  :P

I don’t have much interest in Rugby so don’t arrange anything especially for me  :angel:

I’m going to ask for permission to come for the four days ( I’m sure she will let me out )
I am not bothered about the carboot either way if it gets in the way of other plans  :tu:

I will bring the bucket o Axes and some odds and ends, just ask if there’s anything you specifically want to see  :salute:

Everything’s adjustable

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: February 23, 2012, 01:31:54 PM
Just had a phone call from Kelham Island with a few little updates ...

They have managed to have a word with Stan Shaw about whether he'll be around. Stan wasn't sure and is going to have a word with his missus to see if they are going away Easter weekend. If not, Stan will be in on Easter Monday (only). I'll find out next week

The 2,000+ blade Year knife is currently part of The Hawley Collection, and they've spoken to Ken Hawley for me. They are having a cabinet made to display the knife, and it will then go on general display. Till then it is kept hidden away under lock and key. If Ken was around we could go and see it under his supervision, but he wouldn't be in until Tuesday/Wednesday so that's off the cards unless the cabinet appears, and then it will be visible behind glass rather than up close and personal.

Shepherd Wheel looks like it should be open by Easter anyway (they hope) so we can choose to do that or not at the time without any prior booking.

It's all looking like things will be there or they won't - no prebooking involved (phew) which means we can do whatever we want, if and when we want to which makes life much easier  :D I'll keep abreast of options nearer the time.

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #47 on: February 23, 2012, 01:56:34 PM
Cool fingers crossed on Stan. I only expected to see the knife through glass so fingers crossed for that too.
Thanks for the work you are putting into this Al.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: February 23, 2012, 02:47:33 PM
No probs, it's only a few phonecalls  :D

Current thoughts on options open to us:

Kelham Island looks like a goer - Monday if Stan's there, anytime if not

Shepherd Wheel could be nice as part of a fair weather walk. Hop on Round Sheffield Walk, past the Abbey through the woods down to Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet, up to the old roundhouse at Ringinglow then up to follow the Porter through Whitely Woods to Shepherd Wheel. Ancient woodland (keep an eye on Tony  :pok: ), a few historic sites, and plenty of watering holes on route too

Kelham Island, Police and Fire Museum, and Millenium Galleries could be combined, assuming we're going in a straight line after leaving the Fat Cat  :rofl:

Weston Park would prob be a trip on it's own if we did it

Magna is angled at families apparently ... I wouldn't bother with that for us

Castleton? Devils Arse? Car boot if anyone can be arsed getting up at the sparrows fart

There's tons of options to pick and choose from ... or we could just watch you slave over the BBQ and raid beers out of your fridge  >:D >:D >:D

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #49 on: February 23, 2012, 05:36:43 PM
Well the wife has struck with the 'pay back' side to hosting this event namely tidying up one of the boundaries to our property. However I have looked on it as a chance to play. Tony hopefully there will be some left for you.

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #50 on: February 23, 2012, 05:40:49 PM
or we could just watch you slave over the BBQ and raid beers out of your fridge  >:D >:D >:D
Ah yes the beer fridge. Unfortunately I fear it may be strangely empty when you all arrive, but that does give you all chance to fill it up.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: February 23, 2012, 05:41:45 PM
Well the wife has struck with the 'pay back' side to hosting this event namely tidying up one of the boundaries to our property. However I have looked on it as a chance to play. Tony hopefully there will be some left for you.
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

I can bring my reciprocating saw which is great for that sort on job Mate  :salute:
Yea I know its not an Ax but it can get in hard to reach places  ;)
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #52 on: February 23, 2012, 05:57:03 PM
Thanks mate. Tommorrow I get to play with my chainsaw. As much as anything just wanted to see if I could do it. Here is a pic of the full project.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: February 28, 2012, 11:42:44 PM
BTW I was just watching Mark William's "Industrial Revelations" and realised that this is the engine at Kelham

:tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: February 29, 2012, 12:04:38 AM
That's the big one of the two ... but that was it running very slowly!!! It thunders along when they get it going, over 70 rpm and reverses direction to 70 RPM in the other direction in about two or three seconds I think it is. Try this vid instead ... you might need to turn the sound down

As an aside I know I offered accommodation to a couple of people over Easter break, but I have to withdraw my offer (sorry). There's been developments in the last few hours which have kicked everything into turmoil this end for me. I'll still be at the meet - but I won't be living where I thought I would be  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:23:43 AM by 50ft-trad »

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: March 01, 2012, 12:23:09 PM
Sounds like my car :D  Even has the same break squeal ::) ;)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #56 on: March 03, 2012, 04:51:52 PM
Update on the wife's pay back project.  3/4 done now. Hopefully finish it next week.

Still left to go.

Tools used ( apart from an angle grinder, chainsaw and loppers).
Wife's Swisstool
Mora clipper
Hand axe.

Glad when it is finished now.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: March 03, 2012, 05:30:50 PM
looks tops mate. :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: March 08, 2012, 03:17:32 PM
Just received a phone call from Kelham Island ...

Stan Shaw keeps forgetting to ask his missus what they're up to Easter Weekend ... and I suspect that whatever the "official" answer is they'll do whatever they feel like when they get up that morning, and who can blame them. This means that if we go on the Monday there is a possibility of seeing Mr Shaw - but not definite, the possibility of seeing a special item or two which is not on display if Mr Hawley is in (and be able to question him specifically on multitools - if there's any knowledge on them or items to be seen - he's the man), again not definite. River Don Engine will be running and is well worth seeing in the flesh as it were

On the Sunday there is apparently a Living History Tour at Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet which is an 18th century development where scythes and were made by water power (forging and grinding). Looks like it might be a bit "family orientated" (a bit fluffy round the edges) but might mean the water wheels and tilt hammers etc get fired up. Don't expect to see any smelting taking place though - if we go you'll see why  :D :D

Shepherd Wheel will be open Sat/Sun/Mon

Nothing needs pre-booking so we can pick and choose as much or as little as we want at the time

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 01:18:39 AM
Thanks again for working on this for us chaps!  :salute:

Are we bringing stuff for trading again?

Anyone want me to bring specific stuff to play with?

Wants list here or in a new thread?

:D  :cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31