Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Midnite MiniChamp do I have to worry about water since it has battery/LED

sg Offline demonoflust

Hi,

Usually I won't think twice about rain or washing a regular SAK. I have a Midnite MiniChamp coming and I am now thinking do I have to worry about water contact/rain that might damage the circuitry etc?

Any comment?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
A bit of rain, no but generally yes; it has no water resistance, which means that you can not wash it or stick it in a dishwasher..  :D also remember it has a pen that may not appreciate getting wet.

Realistically:
I would guess that if you get it wet and then dry it quickly then you should get away with it, but I would not try it with mine.
I have washed USB sticks and phones, accidentally, in the washing machine and as long as I took them apart immediately, rinsed them and stuck them out in the sun they came out fine.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
I wash my cybertool lites, midnite minichamps and spartan lites. I just take out the battery before and then let it dry, then put the battery back in. There really is literary a LED and battery, that is it.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
On the red LED 58mm models and the 91mm Lites,  I wouldn't worry too much about washing them if they need it :tu:

The 58mm white models have voltage boosting circuitry but I can't remember if that's encapsulated or not :think:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Wow, I didn't know that. It must have an inverter in there. It takes DC and converts it to AC steps it up and rectifies back to DC to light the LED.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
You got it :tu:

I've taken a couple apart but it was quite a while ago when they first hit the shelves and I can't remember if the circuitry was encapsulated :(  Don't think I took photos either ... Neil is bad  :twak:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline Chain Gang

I wouldn't wash it my myself but if you take the battery out you should be ok.Put it in a container of raw rice and it will suck out every bit of moisture.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
I have seen the batteries and battery contacts rust a bit when left wet! A little cleaning takes care of it usually. :salute:

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
I took my red LED midnite manager apart. All I see is a LED, a battery and a switch. The red part is a switch. It is like the above pictures. It must be different than the white ones.

sg Offline demonoflust

I wrote to Victorinox, this is what they answered me:

"The electronics in your tool are not waterproof. If liquids seep into the housing, remove the batteries and let the housing dry thoroughly. Because the contacts have a protective lacquer coating, the electronics will not be damaged."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%