Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cruxspension

J-sews · 42 · 6917

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Cruxspension
on: January 26, 2008, 10:30:14 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the Suspension has been Gerber's biggest seller since hitting the marketplace a couple years ago. Those things are in every big-box department store I visit! Quality is "good enough" for a lot of people, and the price and styling must catch people's fancy. Like it or not, the Suspension is a popular tool.

So just like what happens with a blockbuster movie, Gerber decided to bring out sequels this year, aka Suspension II's, also known as the Crux, Method, Resolve, and Tread.

Here are a few comparison pics between the Suspension and the new Crux. Look very closely - it takes a discerning eye - and you just might catch a hint of similarity between the two models... ::)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Re: Cruxspension
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 10:43:42 PM
I think you might have to highlight the similarities between them a bit better i'm having a hard time finding them... :D
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 10:47:03 PM
I still think the Suspension is a spawn of the devil. I absolutely Hate this tool and wish it and all its children to dissapear from this planet never to return. I honestly feel that this tool has not one place in todays society, and furthermore I also feel that this tool will ruin many lives.

With my predjudices put on the table the Crux is a good color for a tool, but it is just a Suspension in disguise.

Useless Phillips
Blade far to short for anything usefull.
Blade when used with both scales closed too far away to cut anything larger than a toothpick
Jaws when needing to be opened make the handles so far apart making it nessicary to use two hands
steel for blade is a joke
Can opener will give you a hernia just trying to get the first bite into a can
Bottle opener is really just going to slip out,

Other than the few things I have noticed about it the one good thing I can say is maybee it will introduce people into finding something way better.

Wow this is my tool like Def has his extract.

S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 10:54:17 PM
I still think the Suspension is a spawn of the devil. I absolutely Hate this tool and wish it and all its children to dissapear from this planet never to return. I honestly feel that this tool has not one place in todays society, and furthermore I also feel that this tool will ruin many lives.

Best not to keep these feelings pent up inside Hawkchucker. Go ahead, just lay back and let it all out, you've got another seven minutes yet. ;) :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 10:58:59 PM
Ya know I sometimes feel that I really just did not give the suspension a fair try. Yesterday I was putting the final touches to a prop I was building and decided I needed some coathanger wire for a hanger. So I went onto the bench(Where it sits in a coffecan of parts ::)) and took the suspension and tried to cut some wire. It did cut it but I heard a ping on the floor and found that the Rivit that holds the blade in had the head sheared off of it. Come on that should have not broken and it just reminded me that the tool bugs me. The pin is still there but the head just came off.
S

Offline damota

Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 11:50:56 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the Suspension has been Gerber's biggest seller since hitting the marketplace a couple years ago. Those things are in every big-box department store I visit! Quality is "good enough" for a lot of people, and the price and styling must catch people's fancy. Like it or not, the Suspension is a popular tool.

So just like what happens with a blockbuster movie, Gerber decided to bring out sequels this year, aka Suspension II's, also known as the Crux, Method, Resolve, and Tread.

An internet site owner told me that the Suspension outsold all the other multis (including LM) on his site and I said about the new Gerbers apart from the Flik (where the hell has that gone?) were just Suspension in different clothes when they apeared on the Shot site.
I just wish Gerber would go back to the slider action and do something good with that and actually put it on sale.
Has LM brought that knife/plier tool out yet, the one that had a pierced frame and they changed the name of. I can not remember either of the names to do a search.

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 11:58:43 PM
Dave, are you meaning the Skeletool? (Called the Freestyle a year ago at the Shot Show) Yes, Tom Munch just got his yesterday.

I'm hoping the Flik is available soon as well.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 12:05:21 AM

I'll put you down for two then?

I had wondered about these tools at the Gerber site - Why were there so many, and was the "wide load" handle an absolute pain-in-the-arse.

They look like they may have been very impression during a Slide-show at the design table, but from a Tool-user perspective, they seem to have missed the mark (and that is based on what I can see, I've never used one)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 12:52:51 AM
The impliments and overall handle shape look like those of cheap knockoff multitools.
[

Offline damota

Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 01:25:37 AM
Dave, are you meaning the Skeletool? (Called the Freestyle a year ago at the Shot Show) Yes, Tom Munch just got his yesterday.

I'm hoping the Flik is available soon as well.

Yes that was it Bob, had a search  round the web and kind of falling in love with it again just depends how useful that blade is. I read it is big, just hope it is near the 3" magic number.  ;)

Dave

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 01:57:09 AM
Yes that was it Bob, had a search  round the web and kind of falling in love with it again just depends how useful that blade is. I read it is big, just hope it is near the 3" magic number.  Wink

Dave

Our man Mr Munch has one and is in the process of mercilessly tearing it apart (in literature!)  for our voyeuristic pleasures.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,3550.msg51990/

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 01:59:57 AM
I have the Tread and I can safely say- IT SUCKS!
B

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 02:03:46 AM
Sucks? Examples?

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 03:03:38 AM
yup Yup Yup. Ya got to give examples of why. ya just cant drop the bomb!!! :ahhh
S

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 03:06:21 AM
LOL, the LED light incorp. in it is really weak. Similar to those found on the Vic Spartan Lite! The philips is a waste of time! And lastly, it has a combo blade and I am not a fan of those! Three strikes and its out!
B

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 03:13:50 AM
I actually blame this china trade. I mean look at Schrade. When they tried to boost sales they flooded the market and hardware stores with shoddy stuff the chinese made. I think that they just let them pump out as much as possible and damn the QC.

I mean if ya really look at the new Gerbers they are all the same crap with diff handles.
S

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 03:28:37 AM
I never saw the appeal of torch inna tool, especially a foldout one in the handle - as as often as not I'll be wanting to use the two at the same time.

The next question LM123, is why did you buy it in the first place?

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 03:31:24 AM
Ehhh, I guess it was an impulse thing!
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 03:40:54 AM
Well if you ever get an impulse to sell it, give me a holler.

I still nead a Tread to complete my set  ::) :P

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 04:22:40 AM
If I still had it I would! I traded it for a Benchmade Mini Grip! The funny part is he thinks he ripped ME off!
B

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 05:18:26 AM
It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the Suspension has been Gerber's biggest seller since hitting the marketplace a couple years ago....Like it or not, the Suspension is a popular tool.

After using it extensively over months I've owned one, I still love my Gerber Suspension!

Things about Suspension I like:

-One hand opening blades
-Outside opening tools
-Locking system is positive and easy to use
-Wharncliffe plain edge blade
-Sheepsfoot serrated blade
-Very decent scissors
-Spring loaded pliers - love using them
-Wide, grippy, comfortable ergonomics
-Cool looking, titanium coated handles
-Unusual styling
-Less than 30 bucks at Lowes!

I use my Suspension almost exclusively around the house for small repairs and yardwork, applications for which it works well.  Great for small electrical type repairs.  I like the pliers enough so that I often use them in preference to dedicated needle nose pliers.

I don't consider Suspension to be a heavy duty tool - I bought a SOG Powerlock for the heavy duty stuff - but I greatly appreciate its ease of use and improved ergonomics compared to my SOG and Leatherman tools.

N

Offline damota

Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 11:16:53 AM
If I still had it I would! I traded it for a Benchmade Mini Grip! The funny part is he thinks he ripped ME off!

So it is crap in your eyes but not his? I guess he could be a member of the brigade that might have bought a Suspension if he had not been able to ?dump? his Mini Grip on you. Have you not thought he may have needed pliers more than a knife so any make would have been better for him. Personally as I often worked up ladders I dislike butterfly openers of any kind and the Suspension is just one of those. I do not like the way Gerber are casting the sliders to one side. I would like to see the carbon cutters fitted to all the sliding head models and for them to develop a slider with a new all metal sliding mechanism that did not rattle just to kill one of the gripes many people have against the design, I realize it would have to have a ball race or something so would probably cost a small fortune but that price difference would quiet that criticism. If they wanted one that did not rattle they could buy it or settle for a normal one, their choice. As long as it was a true one hand opener that does not try to jump out of your hand every time you open it.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:35:56 AM by damota »

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 08:09:31 AM
The suspension does look good, thou I don't care for the new versions. I almost fell for it too, but I ended up with a wave.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 07:56:35 PM
The suspension does look good, thou I don't care for the new versions. I almost fell for it too, but I ended up with a wave.

Ya did a heck of a lot better!!!!
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 01:16:54 AM
Here's a link to the Gerber page at the Multitool Encyclopedia: https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Gerber

I just added the pages for the Crux, Method, and Suspension.

The encyclopedia is supposed to be just the facts, just the details. Sometimes its hard to keep the "opinions" from showing through. ::) :D

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 01:25:13 AM
Well I still dont like it, but I did decide I will give it one last try. I will only carry it for one week. I will carry no other blade or tool and I will see what happens.

Other than that great write ups.
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 01:34:51 AM
Well I still dont like it, but I did decide I will give it one last try. I will only carry it for one week. I will carry no other blade or tool and I will see what happens.

Other than that great write ups.

Well I will say that is damn fair-minded of you Hawkchucker. :D

Question for you while we're on the subject: how well do those anvil-type wire cutters work? Most wire I have cut previously with multitools having bypass-type cutting edges. The Suspension and kin have anvils that come together and almost touch. Do they work for you?

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 01:47:59 AM
Actually I got to say That is the one thing that they did right on them. I like anvil cutters better. Ya see if you overload the tool they dont lock up like the bypass do. You can actually "walk" your way through a cut better. At least that is my 2 cents for what its worth.

However this is my second suspension. The first one was brought back to wallyworld. I broke the rivit that holds the plier pivot joint together. It just popped while trying to cut coathanger wire. It actually was either a pot metal or aluminum.
S

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 11:42:13 AM
However this is my second suspension. The first one was brought back to wallyworld. I broke the rivit that holds the plier pivot joint together. It just popped while trying to cut coathanger wire. It actually was either a pot metal or aluminum.

Which rather defeats any advantages anvilcutters might have eh.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 12:29:30 PM

Which rather defeats any advantages anvilcutters might have eh.

Indeed. :P

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%