Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I've sold out and ordered an Iphone 4S...

AHB · 156 · 13770

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
on: February 22, 2012, 10:50:41 PM
And dang I look forward to get it..  :mail:  :D
When it gets here my wife's getting my HTC Desire to try out a real Android instead of her Sony Xperia and my oldest girl is getting a Galaxy Y for her birthday next month.. Seems like we'll be properly updated all of us..  :D I also spent a "few" ( ::)) pounds on fleabay.UK buying covers, screen protectors, carholder for my wife ect. Never go down on equipment.. ;) :D

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Re: I've sold out and ordered an Iphone 4S...
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 11:24:33 PM
phone covers and cases are annoyingly expensive, i think you should get a good one with a phone if your paying £££'s for it
I

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:37:41 PM
I'm not convinced that the high end phones need screen protectors these days.  The glass they use seems harder than anything you're likely to have in your pocket.

Unless you spend too much time at the beach I suppose :)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 11:55:55 PM
I outfitted my iPhone 4 with 'ghost armor' on the screen and the otter box 'commuter'. The otter box I am really pleased with. It's saved my phone from dust, water and falls countless times. I agree the super glass screens are not likely necessary but for a $700 phone I can't imagine not protecting it. The ghost armor only cost $25 and only costs $5 to replace which I haven't had to do yet. The important thing for me was to find a place that sells AND installs for you. They do it perfectly so you can't even tell its there. I went through several screen protectors trying to apply them myself. It's so frustrating to get it in place and see a hair underneath it. There are many products similar to the ghost armor. It's the same 3M stuff they've been putting on cars lately. Kind of rubbery. The edges haven't peeled and I don't see one scratch on it. My phone goes everywhere with me on construction sites and the like so I can recommend this combination as its seen some abuse. Sorry to be so long winded Alan, congrats on the new phone! I hope you like it as much as I do!

Stay multi my friends

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 12:29:21 AM
When applying a screen protector, take a shower first.  The condensation will get rid of almost all of the dust and other wonderful things floating around.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 01:11:40 AM
I'm straying a little off topic here, but after years of being a hardcore Crackberry addict, I recently transitioned to Android (Samsung Skyrocket).

Its killer.  I don't know why I waited so long, and am beginning to understand why Blackberry seems to be going the way of the Palm Pilot.  From the apps to the "real" internet experience, its about 5 quantum steps in the right direction.

The Skyrocket is a dang big phone (4.5" screen and 5.1" tall), and I wish I had purchased something just a little smaller.  But it continues to impress.  I even got rid of my vehicle's GPS, as the Google Maps navigator is superb.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 01:18:10 AM
I've had several GPS units and they always seem to be perpetually out of date.  Google maps is updated constantly, so it works much better in my mind.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 02:22:33 AM
You do need constant internet connection though, so that's a down side. I recently downloaded Sygic navigation so I'll have offline map just in case.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 02:25:09 AM
Yes, I did have an issue with that when I was in Las Vegas last month.  For some reason I was unable to connect to any US networks and it was a pain in the arse.

Def

Offline SMK76

Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 05:46:12 AM
You can't go wrong with an Otterbox on your phone. Saying that Griffin do a mean case with their Survivor series too!

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 07:57:48 AM
I'm a hardcore blackberry person. I might need to get up to date but I'm pretty happy with this new bb I just got. :tu:

Sent from Ash forum mobile

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 08:49:16 AM
I've had my HTC for nearly two years and I'm actually still pretty satisfied with it, but I got a pretty good deal on the Iphone.  :) Lots of things have happened (and will happen) on the smartphone market, but I've tried out a buddys 4S and read plenty of reviews, so I'm sure it'll be enough Smartphone for me at least the next two years.. ;) 

I've bought two covers for it, both hardback, and the price on 'bay is 1/5 of what I can get them for on any danish site.  ::) I'll give them a try and probably go for a Otterbox, preferably the Livestrong version they made with Radioshack, if I can't get along with them.., :)

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 01:45:04 PM
I've been a loyal BlackBerry user for over four years, but when its time for me to upgrade in July I will probably go with an Android.  That Motorola Droid 4 looks very tempting.   RIM is going the way of the dinosaur because they not only dropped the ball, they left the playing field.   The company the pioneered the smartphone decided to not keep up with market demands.

iPhone is not a consideration for me.  I don't want to pay tomorrow's prices for yesterdays technology.  And don't get me started on iTunes.

For phone protection I have used an Otterbox Defender on my last two phones.  After two years of hard use on each phone I pulled them out of their Defenders and sold them for a higher than average price because they were in such good condition. 
Tick Magnet

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 02:15:30 PM
Since I primarely use a smartphone to surf, talk, text, mail, apps like Endomondo ect, I'm not concerned about any Itunes issues. I'm sure I'll figure out how to get a few pieces of music on it, but I always a mp3 player when I'm running. A Samsung Galaxy II is just as expensive as the deal I got on the Iphone, but I like the size of the 4S much better.  :)

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 03:45:36 PM
I'm with you Buddy , the only current smartphone I actually like .

Chris

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 05:34:06 PM
Enjoy Allan, it's a great piece of kit :tu:

MP3's can literally be dragged on dropped on itunes, albeit a rubbish bit of software.

I'm a very happy Otterbox Defender user myself - makes it chunky but I know it's less likely to be killed by my fumblings :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 08:03:09 PM
Defender case here too.  I love it.

Def

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 08:58:30 PM

Def

Well of course you have to use a Defender case, Grant, it was one of your earlier handles on here. :p :tu:

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 09:03:18 PM

iPhone is not a consideration for me.  I don't want to pay tomorrow's prices for yesterdays technology.

Huh?

How do you get to that conclusion?
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 09:47:43 PM
Just got an email saying the phone is on the way and during the day I've recieved several from 'bay, so the next days/week will be like X-mas all over again..  :ahhh :mail: :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 12:04:55 AM

Def

Well of course you have to use a Defender case, Grant, it was one of your earlier handles on here. :p :tu:

I have no idea what you are talking about... :D

Def

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 12:38:57 AM
Think I might give the google nexus a go, logically I should get an iPhone but I have no urged for one!
I

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 03:07:21 AM

iPhone is not a consideration for me.  I don't want to pay tomorrow's prices for yesterdays technology.

Huh?

How do you get to that conclusion?

iPhone got these technologies after BlackBerrry and other had had them for years.

Light
Video capabilities
Multitasking
Turn by turn GPS navigation
Group messaging

iPhone still does not have these features that are now common on other phones

4G
Removable  battery
Bigger Display
HDMI output
Adobe Flash Capability
Swipe
Physical keyboard
Micro SD or other memory card capability
Micro USB port
Notification LED
Widgets

Apple has done a good job of giving their phones a "cool" image and making their phone fun to use, but they don't live up to their reputation of being at the forefront of mobile phone technology.

Tick Magnet

Offline SMK76

Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 11:28:45 AM
I think Apple have been real clever in creating a simple to use Eco-System. Their apps are curated and you can customize your phone to suit your lifestyle. Their is a huge market in 'App'-cessories now and Apple have jumped on it with a range of apps made for some cool accessories.

There are apps that can control vehicles (Parrot AR Drone), turn your device into a universal remote (Griffin) and measure and track your lifestyle fitness and sleep patterns (Jawbone Up).

Android OS has a similar capability too however as the apps aren't curated the software is poor and sometimes not tested to full capability. You can have all the peripherals in a handset that you can fit, but in my experience most people don't use all of them. You just have to figure out what is more important for you. For me the possibilities are endless on Apple IOS.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 01:01:14 PM
It is very easy to find useful, effective and reliable apps for Android and BlackBerry.  Go to their respective app stores, do a search, read descriptions and reviews, try the app, done.

In the app development community there is currently a debate about the belief that curated app stores undermine  developers, so curating may turn out not to be much if an advantage.

My though on apps.  Choosing a phone based on the number of available apps is like choosing a care based on the number of cup holders its has.  Sure its nice to have a lot of them, but how many do you really use?  The BlackBerry OS does not have nearly the number of apps available as compared to Android or Apple, but I have no problem finding the ones that I need.  One of the apps that I use daily, Endomondo, was  available for Zymbian, Android and BlackBerry before it was available for iPhone.
Tick Magnet

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 01:43:33 PM
Rest assured that I'll let you all know how I get along with it..  ;) :D

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 02:04:42 PM
My though on apps.  Choosing a phone based on the number of available apps is like choosing a care based on the number of cup holders its has.  Sure its nice to have a lot of them, but how many do you really use?  The BlackBerry OS does not have nearly the number of apps available as compared to Android or Apple, but I have no problem finding the ones that I need.  One of the apps that I use daily, Endomondo, was  available for Zymbian, Android and BlackBerry before it was available for iPhone.

This is the very argument Mac users have been making against Windows users for 20 years, and have always been shot down.

However, even if only 1% of the apps on the Apple store are any good, there's still 10 times as many of them as there are TOTAL apps for android.
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 02:25:17 PM

I'm sure you will be happy with it.

Somehow your thread got derailed and I am partly to blame.    Sorry about that. :salute:
Tick Magnet

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 02:40:43 PM

I'm sure you will be happy with it.

Somehow your thread got derailed and I am partly to blame.    Sorry about that. :salute:
Never mind, if it wasn't for discussion/sharing POWs we wouldn't be here, would we.?  :salute: :D

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 06:15:23 PM
HDMI output
Adobe Flash Capability
Swipe
Physical keyboard
Micro SD or other memory card capability
Micro USB port
Notification LED
Widgets

Apple has done a good job of giving their phones a "cool" image and making their phone fun to use, but they don't live up to their reputation of being at the forefront of mobile phone techn

Not sure I agree with everything here.

You an hook your iPhone Up with a hdmi lead if you buy the adaptor.

Abode flash forefront of technology? Even adobe have said they will soon stop supporting it in favour of HTML 5

Not sure what you mean by "swipe".

Physical keyboard? That will just make the phone bigger I don't see the need for a physical keypad with one as intuitive as apples.

Do you need more memory with a 64 gb phone?

Why would you need a micro USB port with the 30 pin connector port? More pros make a phone bigger and bulkier.

Notifications led is a point though, but I think a notification pops up on the screen.

Again widgets? Everything there's a widget for is no more then a tap away!
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD