Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I've sold out and ordered an Iphone 4S...

AHB · 156 · 13766

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Re: I've sold out and ordered an Iphone 4S...
Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 08:06:45 PM

iPhone is not a consideration for me.  I don't want to pay tomorrow's prices for yesterdays technology.

Huh?

How do you get to that conclusion?

iPhone got these technologies after BlackBerrry and other had had them for years.

Light
Video capabilities
Multitasking
Turn by turn GPS navigation
Group messaging

iPhone still does not have these features that are now common on other phones

4G
Removable  battery
Bigger Display
HDMI output
Adobe Flash Capability
Swipe
Physical keyboard
Micro SD or other memory card capability
Micro USB port
Notification LED
Widgets

Apple has done a good job of giving their phones a "cool" image and making their phone fun to use, but they don't live up to their reputation of being at the forefront of mobile phone technology.
MM, no offense intended, but all these points you make are misinformed or deliberate distortions about the iPhone from competing handset makers. 

The iPhone does support the 4G protocol, but their implementation only works with AT&T's version of 4G.  Further, no N. American cell carrier supports genuine 4G, so saying that Apple doesn't support while other phone companies do is a false argument, because even though other phones may have a wider range of 4G protocols, they still can't be used.

With respect to the utility of a removable battery, I've never known even one single person who carried a spare battery with them for their phone, even when it was a standard feature on phones to have removable batteries.  I've read posts here from 1 or 2 members who do, but people like that are an incredibly small minority.  Battery life on most devices these days is good enough that unless you're going to be using your phone constantly for several hours away from an outlet, it's a non-issue.

Display size on Android based phones is physically larger, but yet still has a lower pixel density than the iPhone.  There isn't a smartphone on the market that has the same pixel density; if you want to match it, you have to lug around a 7" tablet, and even most of those don't have the same pixel density as the 4S.

Flash compatibility?  If you want to subject yourself to all the malware and security holes that Flash is filled with, be my guest.  If you want to let the inefficiency and processor rape that Flash commits on a device, again, be my guest.  Flash is why people insist on being able to have a replaceable battery, because Flash drops your battery life by as much as 75% in some cases.

Swipe?  Have you actually ever used an iPhone?

Physical keyboard?  Hm.  Why would I want to have a device that's more than twice as thick and twice the weight to have a physical keyboard (slider style phones)?  And in the process, reduce the amount of space in the device for the battery, thus shortening the battery life even further, thus being another reason why you "need" a replaceable battery?  Why have another physical component that can fail?  Why have a physical keyboard when doing so is going to cut into the space of your screen if you don't use a slider design?  And how do you end up with both a larger screen AND a physical keyboard in one device?  Hm. I guess if you want to lug an old Kindle around... but then you're talking about a tablet, and you're comparing Apples and oranges.  (No pun intended.)

Memory card capability?  The highest capacity 4S has 64GB for the same price as the highest capacity Droid based phone, which is only 32, then you've got to out and spend more money to bring your Droid based phone up to the same memory capacity?  That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Notification LED?  Why bother?  Why isn't an audible alert sufficient, or activating the display with a pop-up?  And if you don't notice it, more battery drain and yet another false reason to insist on removable batteries.

Widgets?  Um... yeah.  They're called "apps".  Pretty much ALL software that runs on any smartphone these days is basically just a widget with more stuff thrown in.  And if you really want to clutter up your phone with single use apps, be my guest.  Yet another straw-man.

Sorry, but I just don't agree with any of these things you think are criticisms of the iPhone.  There is a definite logic to how the iPhone is designed, and it's not based just on looks or being cool.  The reason the iPhone outsold all other Android devices from all makers combined last quarter is because it works, and it works well.  All of these things you're complaining about it not having just add complexity to it and makes a device harder to use.  And that's why the iPhone is so successful; because Apple is merciless about dropping outmoded ways of doing things and promoting newer and more efficient ways instead.  Otherwise, we'd all still be using 8.5" floppy disks and doing everything with a command line interface.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 11:17:25 PM
iphone vs. android, 3, 2, 1, fight!  :D

I like my rooted android running custom software, and I can return it to bone stock in 5 minutes if ever necessary, try that on your iphone.  >:D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 11:45:31 PM
Rule Number One:

Apple is King.

Rule Number Two:

If you don't like Apple, you are wrong.  Read rule number one.

::)

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 11:55:18 PM
I wouldn't use an apple product if it was free... but that's me.  It's good to have choice and free will though! 

It starts to feel like religion when people aren't happy to just choose for themselves, and they want to not only pick what they want, but call people out for not being of the same tech religion.  If a product that is super popular and doesn't suit you, it probably means you aren't a typical user, or an average person.. so that's a good thing in my book. :D 

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #34 on: February 25, 2012, 12:07:02 AM
Looks like this topic could develope into a high-tech version of Rusty Leathermans vs. Slippery Vic drivers, so we'll just keep an eye on this discussion..  ;) :police:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #35 on: February 25, 2012, 12:11:33 AM
Oldie but goodie
apple android blackberry.jpg
* apple android blackberry.jpg (Filesize: 601.29 KB)

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: February 25, 2012, 12:15:02 AM

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #37 on: February 25, 2012, 01:00:00 AM
You can try to dismiss those features based on your personal preferences, but the market overall is asking for them and other manufacturers are providing them. 

The items that you edited from my list are more of a concern though.  4G is one of the hottest things going in the mobile market right now, but Apple didn't see fit to include it on the iPhone 4s.   Why?  It's not a mystery.   They introduce model with a few features that is fun to use, but is missing a couple key features that the mobile market wants, ie. 4G.  Then they follow with a new model that has that feature and all the iPhone fans rush out to buy it at a high price and rejoice.  Like I said earlier,  yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices. 

Removable battery is another feature that mobile users have been asking Apple  to include on their phones.  Apples reply?  They don't want you to have it. 

Tick Magnet

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #38 on: February 25, 2012, 02:08:07 AM
To be fair, if you could milk your product user base like apple with with its applings, you would too.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #39 on: February 25, 2012, 02:19:15 AM
MP3's can literally be dragged on dropped on itunes, albeit a rubbish bit of software.

Spotify is the way to go on an iPhone. But if you have mp3's you want on the phone you don't need iTunes since you have iCloud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #40 on: February 25, 2012, 02:54:32 AM
To be fair, if you could milk your product user base like apple with with its applings, you would too.

More importantly I won't allow myself to be 'milked", so I won't be buying an iPhone.  But thanks for supporting my point jzmtl.
Tick Magnet

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #41 on: February 25, 2012, 03:28:28 AM
We all get milked one way or another even if you don't realize it. Flashlight is the worst, new emitter coming out every 2 month, and yours is now outdated and you have to pay a premium for another light that's otherwise identical to the five or six you already have. One of the reasons I got out of that hobby.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: February 25, 2012, 03:44:43 AM
I'm sure glad multitools makers aren't like that :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline SMK76

Reply #43 on: February 25, 2012, 07:03:21 AM
Hmm, the entire mobile market has been milking customers for decades. It just depends how you use the technology to suit your lifestyle.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #44 on: February 25, 2012, 09:20:47 AM
I'd much rather have a bigger longer life non removable battery then a smaller sized fixed one.

Steve Jobs Rant Against Google, Android and 7 Inch Tablets

;)
I

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #45 on: February 25, 2012, 09:27:03 AM
Just like you have Allan I've just dragged myself up to date and got myself and kids new phones .I got an iphone 4 16gb , my eldest an HTC Radar running somekind of Windows software and a Blackberry 9100 for my youngest .
 The reason I went with Apple all started Christmas 2010 when we got my daughter the ipod 4th Gen , I had some problems creating an itunes account without linking a credit card to it so I phoned the Apple helpline . Their customer service was on par with Vics and LMs .A short while later a friend of mine had a fault with his iphone and he took it to the store and they just replaced it with a new one there and then . No humming and harring or sending it away .All my dealings with Apple customer services have been 100% good and that was one of the deal breakers for me .Around the same time another friend who had an HTC had a fault with his , it was sent away for a week , came back and developed the same problem , sent away again came back and still the same problem . It was finally replaced the third time and around a month later .
  I've had my iphone 4 since November and I don't regret it at all .Theres so many apps to choose from and theres something for everyone .I'm not saying it better then Blackberry or HTC or the Android system but it is better for me . Amazon , Ebay , Facebook , paypal , Photobucket , BBC News are but some of my most used and all work without fault .I can photograph and list an item on Ebay via my iphone quicker then I can on a PC  :o

My only drawback is the poor battery life  :( The iphone has a lot of location services and features and by turning off the ones you don't need you can greatly improve the battery .

The area I live in has very poor mobile reception and Vodafone although still poor is the best of the lot .I get a signal if I stand near an upstairs window  ::)  Vodafone offers a Suresignal box that plugs into your Broadband and then once you have registered your 3G phone number ( you can register around 30 numbers ) you get full 3G signal all round the house  :D This is such an improvement for my family and you can imagine how my girls love it  ::)

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #46 on: February 25, 2012, 09:49:08 AM
Battery life is aways an issue with the phones today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: February 25, 2012, 02:10:23 PM
I agree- battery life is terrible, although I suppose given how much power the dual core procs on modern smartphones pull it's a wonder they work at all.

Still, I suppose that's an argument for the replaceable battery that "no one wants" simply because it's upgradeable too.  The only reason I haven't upgraded to a bigger battery for my phone is that the Otterbox Defender won't fit it anymore and I don't believe there's a decent case available for the phone with the extended battery on it.

Still, I have an extra case (bought a cheap one on eBay so I could get a yellow silicone jacket for it!  :D) so I suppose I could try modding one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #48 on: February 25, 2012, 02:43:54 PM
The processor doesn't use much power actually, mine's probably idling at 100 mhz or deep sleep most of the time (unless I play games and blew through the battery in 2 hours).

What really use the power is the screen, mine easily use over half of the total power consumption. But then again when we all had a bar/flip phone, who stares at it with screen on for two or three hours a day?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #49 on: February 25, 2012, 02:57:24 PM
Yes the screens are the power sucker for sure, especially the newer brighter higher pixel count ones.  If you went back to low res monochrome battery life would rock.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: February 25, 2012, 03:41:49 PM
Yes well, sadly Apple or Android both suffer from needing the screen to operate properly- the one common flaw across all smartphones.

Def

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #51 on: February 25, 2012, 04:04:50 PM
Yes well, sadly Apple or Android both suffer from needing the screen to operate properly- the one common flaw across all smartphones.

Def

Actually for the blind the screen doesnt need to be on.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: February 25, 2012, 08:26:08 PM

Def

Actually for the blind the screen doesnt need to be on.

Blind people are SO lucky  >:(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: February 27, 2012, 08:32:18 PM
Quick update..
Iphone 4s was delivered today, but my new phonecompany will not have access to my number before monday, but since I'm using it with wifi I can already tell we'll be soo happy together.. :dd:  :D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #54 on: February 27, 2012, 08:43:11 PM
Be sure to get Pocket CPR app , will keep you entertained  ;)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #55 on: February 27, 2012, 08:55:37 PM
Oh yes and of course ......

:worthless:

is it Black or white and how many gb is it ? and don't forget to ask SIRI how many woodchucks does a wood chucker chuck if a wood chucker can chuck wood .Also ask her to marry you , the meaning of life .and tell her you are really sleepy and if she askes if your driving say yes  :rofl: she will freak out  :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #56 on: February 28, 2012, 03:44:32 PM
DON'T download Tiny Towers - I just lost half a night to it! :ahhh
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: February 28, 2012, 08:47:25 PM
No pics (yet) Dunc, but it's the black one and 16GB..   ;)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #58 on: February 28, 2012, 08:55:18 PM
plant vs zombies...

Not sure if you can get world of goo on iphone, but gotta try that too.  :D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #59 on: March 02, 2012, 08:12:56 AM
So how are you getting on with it Allan  :pok:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24