Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I've sold out and ordered an Iphone 4S...

AHB · 156 · 13767

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Re: I've sold out and ordered an Iphone 4S...
Reply #60 on: March 04, 2012, 12:45:14 PM
So how are you getting on with it Allan  :pok:
Sorry for the late reply but I'm still very pleased with it..  8) My phonenumber is activated at the new company tomorrow, so I look forward to actual call someone..  :D I've been using it with Wi-Fi, so it's all setup and ready. I bought Tapatalk to use with forums and the app works much better for me on the Iphone instead of the HTC version.  :)
I bought a cheap'ish backcover for it until I recieve the Livestrong Otterbox Ari is picking up for me in U.S.
Now here's a few pics as promised..

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #61 on: March 04, 2012, 02:48:59 PM
Good to see you are having a good time with it, only it looks like you've gotten some kind of virus that turned all the names and titles into gobbledegook.  Heck, some of those aren't even real letters!

:pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #62 on: March 04, 2012, 03:11:43 PM
it looks like you've gotten some kind of virus that turned all the names and titles into gobbledegook.  Heck, some of those aren't even real letters!

My God! I must have the same virus on my iPad!  :ahhh :ahhh
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: March 04, 2012, 03:58:30 PM
Its spreading!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: March 10, 2012, 08:22:23 AM
As I said before I'm not gonna comment on the whole Iphone vs. Android discussion, but until now I haven't found any flaws to point my finger at..  :)
I know I'm comparing it to a two year old my HTC Desire, but the sound is soo much better and the GPS works from inside the house too, where I had to be outside with the HTC to get a connection. I can see why some people have issues with Itunes but I've had just as much trouble with Windows media player in the past.  ::) I only need a few albums on the phone for when I'm running so it's not really a problem.. :)

I ordered this armband for running and hopefully it'll be here one of the next days...  :mail:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 12:43:15 PM by AHB »

Offline SMK76

Reply #65 on: March 10, 2012, 12:35:15 PM
Nifty little key pocket on the arm band there too! Very handy while you're running.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #66 on: March 10, 2012, 03:40:15 PM
Let us know how you like the armband.  I won't be wearing a jacket after the weather warms up, so I won't have pockets to carry my phone in.
Tick Magnet

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: March 10, 2012, 03:59:45 PM
Let us know how you like the armband.  I won't be wearing a jacket after the weather warms up, so I won't have pockets to carry my phone in.
Will do.. :tu:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: March 14, 2012, 04:17:14 AM
You can try to dismiss those features based on your personal preferences, but the market overall is asking for them and other manufacturers are providing them. 

The items that you edited from my list are more of a concern though.  4G is one of the hottest things going in the mobile market right now, but Apple didn't see fit to include it on the iPhone 4s.   Why?  It's not a mystery.   They introduce model with a few features that is fun to use, but is missing a couple key features that the mobile market wants, ie. 4G.  Then they follow with a new model that has that feature and all the iPhone fans rush out to buy it at a high price and rejoice.  Like I said earlier,  yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices. 

Removable battery is another feature that mobile users have been asking Apple  to include on their phones.  Apples reply?  They don't want you to have it.

Did you actually read my post?  It doesn't seem like it, because I didn't edit anything out.  I addressed every single point you made.

Let me reiterate; 4G: there isn't a single cell carrier that has a true 4G implementation yet.  And, Apple DOES support 4G, but only on AT&T's network right now.  And as for that "not being 4G", that's bull too, because so far every single cell carrier has chosen a different implementation of it, so saying that you can buy one Droid based phone and take to another carrier and have it work is also BS because each carrier has to have their own version to work with their own version of 4G.  So again, your stating that it's "yesterday's tech at tomorrow's prices" is flat out false.  If you don't believe me, look it up; there are plenty of sites on cell protocol tech that document exactly what I'm saying here.

As for the removable battery, again, did you actually read my post? 

And Def; I'm not saying that "Apple is best", see line one, etc.  Not at all.  As before, I am simply refuting what I know to be factually erroneous claims about Apple's products, nothing more.  If you don't like Apple's products that's fine.  But as I've mentioned before, don't bash them based on hearsay and false claims, or for not being what you don't want them to be. 

Again, if Apple's phones are such pieces of $hit, then why did Apple outsell all other Android devices combined in the last quarter?  Obviously they're making products that people want and like.  And again, if anyone doesn't like them, just say so, and simply state that it's your opinion.  But don't claim their products are crap because they are the leader in the personal technology field, and that you don't like how they're pushing the envelope on product development to be what the great majority of people want and find useful.  How many of you still use floppy disks?  How many of you still use dial-up modems?  How many of you still use a command line interface?  This is the same argument about "upgradeability" in PC's.  That's a bygone era.  If you don't want to deal with the future, that's fine, but expect to be rapidly left behind and with incompatible software and hardware.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #69 on: March 14, 2012, 05:35:42 AM
You know, saying you are not an Apple fanboy then going on at length to defend Apple by telling people that what they want is irrelevant kind of negates the whole "not a fanboy" part of the statement.

Still, it is user preference. You obviously prefer Apple and that's fine.  I prefer Android, and I'm pretty certain that is allowed too, although admittedly not in all circles.  All I know is, I am going to appreciate my extended battery when it arrives next week, and the external charger that comes with it, but apparently I'm in the minority.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #70 on: March 14, 2012, 09:43:12 AM
Whats the point of paying for 4G when you can't use it . I think i'll buy tomorrows technology tomorrow when theres a structure in place to support it .

I think we will see less and less removable batteries. My Daughters HTC Radar has an enclosed battery.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #71 on: March 14, 2012, 11:27:23 AM
Are cell phone topics going to be off limits soon?  :D

I'm an Apple guy.  I like my 4s.  I've got too much money tied up in apps and accessories to switch to Android.  (that, and the fact I don't want to switch). It amazes me how people get tied up into which one is better... There are droid guys at work that take every opportunity they get to bash anything Apple... Yet they complain endlessly about their own phones at the same time :P
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline SMK76

Reply #72 on: March 14, 2012, 11:52:42 AM
Hmm, I wonder how Nokia will go this year with Windows?

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #73 on: March 14, 2012, 12:41:14 PM
Whoa, hold on there Heinz.  My reply was directed to ryan1835's post. Not yours.

HDMI output
Adobe Flash Capability
Swipe
Physical keyboard
Micro SD or other memory card capability
Micro USB port
Notification LED
Widgets

Apple has done a good job of giving their phones a "cool" image and making their phone fun to use, but they don't live up to their reputation of being at the forefront of mobile phone techn

Not sure I agree with everything here.

You an hook your iPhone Up with a hdmi lead if you buy the adaptor.

Abode flash forefront of technology? Even adobe have said they will soon stop supporting it in favour of HTML 5

Not sure what you mean by "swipe".

Physical keyboard? That will just make the phone bigger I don't see the need for a physical keypad with one as intuitive as apples.

Do you need more memory with a 64 gb phone?

Why would you need a micro USB port with the 30 pin connector port? More pros make a phone bigger and bulkier.

Notifications led is a point though, but I think a notification pops up on the screen.

Again widgets? Everything there's a widget for is no more then a tap away!

In a previous reply to one of my replies  you started out with "No offense MM, but...".  No offense taken Heinz.  I look forward to reading your posts because you expand on your thoughts provide useful information.  I'm not saying that I agree with you on the iPhone v Android discussion because I don't.  I've decided not to continue in the debate because as AHB said "Looks like this topic could develope into a high-tech version of Rusty Leathermans vs. Slippery Vic drivers" .  We could go on picking apart each others posts, but in the end neither of us is going to change the other's mind.   As you can see from the replies here there are members that are firmly on each side of the issue.  These are intelligent, informed people, so I guess all we can say is that neither the Android or iPhone is right for everyone.

I hope all is well between you and I Heinz because I plan to ask you for some advice on a light soon.     
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:44:51 PM by MeadMaker »
Tick Magnet

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #74 on: March 14, 2012, 12:57:28 PM

I'm an Apple guy.  I like my 4s.  I've got too much money tied up in apps and accessories to switch to Android.  (that, and the fact I don't want to switch). It amazes me how people get tied up into which one is better... There are droid guys at work that take every opportunity they get to bash anything Apple... Yet they complain endlessly about their own phones at the same time :P

I know how you feel re. Apps :)

Most of the guys at work have android phones. They have a dig at me with my 4S at each and every opportunity. Then they complain that something doesn't work right, and I point out that mine works just fine...

I like to be pragmatic about things, and use the right tool for the right job. Android just doesn't do the right job for me. There's compromises on both sides, but I can live better with the iPhone's compromises.
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #75 on: March 14, 2012, 01:01:17 PM

Most of the guys at work have android phones. They have a dig at me with my 4S at each and every opportunity. Then they complain that something doesn't work right, and I point out that mine works just fine...

I like to be pragmatic about things, and use the right tool for the right job. Android just doesn't do the right job for me. There's compromises on both sides, but I can live better with the iPhone's compromises.

Most of the time when someone at work gives me a hard time about my iphone, I take it out and ask Siri "Where can I hide a dead body?"  After "she" responds, I like to ask them if their phone can do that.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #76 on: March 14, 2012, 01:33:21 PM
I agree with you on the apps.  I am definitely switching away from BlackBerries soon which means that I will lose some of my apps.  I don't use very many, but I do use a few frequently.  Having to pay for them again will irritate me. 

On the upside, I do look forward to getting some apps that are not available for BlackBerries.  CardMunch is a great tool for sales people and my wife and many friends play Words With Friends.  Those will probably be my first new app acquisitions.

http://www.cardmunch.com/
Tick Magnet

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #77 on: March 14, 2012, 08:13:43 PM
Do we have a stir the pot smilie? :D

uploadfromtaptalk1331752395536.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1331752395536.jpg (Filesize: 16.13 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1331752414108.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1331752414108.jpg (Filesize: 10.45 KB)

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #78 on: March 14, 2012, 09:13:38 PM
Do we have a stir the pot smilie? :D

I'm sure if Mr Jobs wanted to allow uber nerds to overclock their phones (and I'm skeptical of the benefits, having owned, overclocked and thrown away a number of android phones) he would have let them. It's not that the hardware is incapable of it.
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #79 on: March 14, 2012, 09:35:57 PM
I'm sure it could, consider it's made by Samsung.  :pok:

But of course Mr. Jobs wanted too much control over his little applings to let them do that.  :pok:

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #80 on: March 14, 2012, 10:24:20 PM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #81 on: March 15, 2012, 01:17:28 AM

Most of the time when someone at work gives me a hard time about my iphone, I take it out and ask Siri "Where can I hide a dead body?"  After "she" responds, I like to ask them if their phone can do that.

I don't need Siri for that.  One of my clients operates an industrial burn pit.   :whistle:

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #82 on: March 15, 2012, 08:44:01 AM
Apple have just released a new software update . ios 5.1 now replaces ios 5.01 . Among other things it claims better battery life  :tu:

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #83 on: March 17, 2012, 09:17:44 AM
Think I'm going to give in and buy a 4s later today  :ahhh
I

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #84 on: March 17, 2012, 09:36:46 AM

Go on you know you want to  :pok:  White or Black ?

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: March 17, 2012, 11:18:32 AM

Go on you know you want to  :pok:  White or Black ?
Excellent idea. :pok: :pok:

:D :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #86 on: March 17, 2012, 12:19:13 PM
Since you already use a Mac you might as well.  Apple's big strength is the ability for all of it's products to operate seamlessly with eachother.  If you have one, you might as well get them all to enjoy the benefits. 

Def

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: March 17, 2012, 02:03:21 PM
Ha ha... I'm almost ready to do the same myself.  Although the Driod Razr Maxx is now looking very good to me.  If the new Razr Maxx fits in my cellphone pockets I think I will get it.

.... BUT.... I just got my first Apple computer in 30 years or more 3rd Generation iPad

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:35:58 PM by ICanFixThat »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #88 on: March 17, 2012, 02:34:16 PM
And you thought Multitool.org was bad for assimilating people.... Resistance is futile when dealing with Apple!  :assimilate:

Def

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: March 17, 2012, 03:45:06 PM
Ya it does not help that the other players are stund like the deer in the headlights and just can't execute the big picture. Now Apple is even competitive on price.  They better wake up, because even without Jobs Apple just may be able to assimilate enough people that the remaining gene pool is too small.

Now that I have the iPad the iPhone 4S does look very tempting... But maybe iPhone 5 is worth waiting for. It will have important updates on battery, cellular, and who knows what else. The only thing is I hope that it does not increase in size too much.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:52:58 PM by ICanFixThat »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD