Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Brands.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Brands.
on: January 27, 2008, 03:44:59 AM
I don't know jack about knives, especially USA ones.

Anything I should know about USA brand knives? (Gerber, SOG, Case, Buck, the various names Taylor Brands owns, whatever else comes out of that area)
History, quality, pricing, reputations, famous models or styles, etc.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Re: Brands.
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 03:51:07 AM
I know if you are  Looking for a great company download this cataloge and drool Especially over the gold class. However even the Black class are still better than most companies higher pricesd pieces. The thing that is very cool about benchmade is that if ya like the style they most likely have several blade steels to choose from, and a tom of blade styles.

http://www.benchmade.com/
S

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 04:02:03 AM
Spyderco is another good US company. They have a storied and successful history, very interesting designs and a very communicative staff that interacts with the end user frequently over message forums and email.

www.spyderco.com

Buck is mainly marketed to outdoorsman and hunters. The company has quite a following for it's 110 model folder and has recently branched out into the Law Enforcement and Military markets with knives designed for use in those two areas.

www.buckknives.com

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 04:13:05 AM
And not to Mention Bucks CS is second to none.

I wrote paul Mason from buck and email about losing the clip on a buck. He sent out  3 diff and the screws because there were 3 diff made. By the way it came in the mail 24 hrs overnight!!!!
S

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 04:44:56 AM
I like all brands really! But, Kershaw is another amazing brand. Awhile back I used to EDC a Kershaw Whirlwind which is an amazing knife! I also like their rainbow Leek and Chive!
B

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 04:56:06 AM
Zero tolerance.

Serious Mission Knives.

Oh, well not for me then. My missions are usually a bit of a joke.
Do you have a knife with snakes that jump out, maybe a water squirter or hand buzzer?

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 05:00:29 AM
Think they are serious check out dork ops. Oh I mean Dark Ops. They even talk about how grippy their knives get when your hands are covered in enemys blood. OOOOOOOOOOOOH
S

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 05:01:24 AM
Think they are serious check out dork ops. Oh I mean Dark Ops. They even talk about how grippy their knives get when your hands are covered in enemys blood. OOOOOOOOOOOOH

I could probably use that - though in my case it's generally my own blood.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 05:04:21 AM

I could probably use that - though in my case it's generally my own blood.
:ahhh

:ahhh :ahhh  Hey honey where ya put the bandaids?? :ahhh :ahhh
S

Offline TWBryan

Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 03:11:34 PM
                  I like some of the Benchmade knives,and the Spydercos. The Cold Steel stuff varies(sometimes wildly) in quality,and construction.
T

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 04:11:34 PM
Actually Cold steel has some really nice users If ya can find the older stuff. I have the complete series of Voyagers in Plain edge from the early 00's and they are great knives. I also have some of the twistmasters. Which I see as some of the finest Opinal knockoffs out there. They use a great steel and really fixed everything wrong withthe opies. If ya call the shortcoming a shortcoming. Plus dont get me started on the SRK. I feel that the SRK is a very underated fixed blade and have had mine since they came out. Unfortunatly CS has gone the way of the Dodo, They now seem just to be knocking stuff out to get them on the market. I mean really who in the hell would ever need an assault sharpie :ahhh
I however plan on trading off eventually all my Cold Steels since I found my perfect folder.
S

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 05:40:56 PM
     I have a couple of really cool Cold Steel knives from years ago packed away but I cannot remember the names of them.  they opened by flicking the knurling on the back of the blade like the wheel on a lighter.  They even had a clip but they have long since been discontinued which is why they are still put up in their original boxes and not used. 

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 06:43:44 PM
Nomad, folders or fixed blades?
Benchmade, Spyderco, Buck are very popular folders that have good warranties and reviews.
as for fixed, I'd start with Busse/SwampRat/ScrapYard for tough and great lifetime warranties.

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 07:40:05 PM
I've always been a little suspicious of Cold Steel.

Anyone who sells that huge a variety of stuff can't be very good at any of it.

Folders Dubya-Dawg, I only carry a fixed when I go a'piratin'!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 08:29:02 PM
nomad ya got to put away the Lynn Thompson marketing. Look at some of the stuff they got from a diff angle. I will never be doing a pullup with a lockblade, Or attempting to cleave a pig in half with a sword. However the company does have some neat stuff that can and does work, But they also have junk.

S

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 08:31:13 PM
Or attempting to cleave a pig in half with a sword.

You know... if I ever was attacked by a pig, I'd want to make sure the blade I used to defend myself would handle the job...  So it's Cold Steel for me :D
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 08:34:56 PM
nomad ya got to put away the Lynn Thompson marketing. Look at some of the stuff they got from a diff angle. I will never be doing a pullup with a lockblade, Or attempting to cleave a pig in half with a sword. However the company does have some neat stuff that can and does work, But they also have junk.

I have no idea who Lynn Thompson is.

Oh, I'm sure they have some good stuff, with that many options, at least one has to work! - I just don't want to spend a fortune trialling and erroring my way through their product line.

Offline TWBryan

Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 12:06:03 AM
           Just can't take that "combat-Sarong" seriously.
T

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 02:43:49 AM
Ok, I like some of the cold steel knives.  Now, having said that I dont like a lot of their stuff.  I like my TI Lite.  I hate my Recon 1.  It is a poorly made knockoff of the benchmade axis lock and it does not perform nearly as smoothly as the real deal.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 10:44:46 PM
Not to mention stay away from anything serrated from them. The pattern really sucks. You will really break teeth off of them.
S

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 02:31:02 AM
I personally love the Cold Steel serrations. I like them a lot better than on my Spyderco's. I bought the Rescue knife from them for work and it is a fantastic performer!
B

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 06:43:28 PM
I have not used any of their serrated knives.  So, I cannot really comment on their performance.  I have heard that they break teeth a lot.  Then again, the guy that breaks teeth might have tried some of the experiments on the cold steel videos.  From what I have read, the teeth will break on the pop can stabbing experiment.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 10:39:40 PM
CQC7 the teeth will break if you sneeze with the knife in your pocket. I really think that the serr. pattern on them is ment only for rope or fabric. I cannot cut anything harder than that. I used to keep a Voyager on hte boat in case of need. However after beaching it on a nice little spot on sebago We decided to start a little fire and just hang. Well just cutting pine branches for kindling broke about 8 teeth off the blade. Other than that they do have some cool stuff but just stray away from the serrations.
S

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD