Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2008 SHOT Show

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
2008 SHOT Show
on: January 27, 2008, 04:08:00 PM
As if the Section title, Forum title and Forum description wasn't enough, this forum is for discussing topics about the '08 SHOT Show!

For any who haven't heard, I will be attending this year's SHOT Show along with Felinevet Tim and Bob (J-Sews).  I'm hoping to meet any other members that are going, so please let me know if you'll be there.

In addition, I plan to harass many of the manufacturers like Columbia River Knife and Tool, Leatherman, SOG, Wenger, Victorinox and many more!  Bob and I will be attending the show every day and attempting to post pictures, news and any other info in the evenings so everyone will have the most up to date show stuff here!

I personally can't wait to get there and look around!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Re: 2008 SHOT Show
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 04:17:29 PM
Try to get them to come here more often. I would love to get some info straight from the hourses mouth.

S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 04:22:17 PM
Try to get them to come here more often. I would love to get some info straight from the hourses mouth.

We certainly plan on talking with industry insiders. The hope is that they realize a closer relationship with this site is a win-win situation for both parties. We've got several meets already arranged.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 04:24:53 PM
If you get them here I will be nice to the Gerber guy!!!

And I hope you all got lots of memory cards cards stored to take a ton of pics!!!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 04:31:51 PM by hawkchucker »
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 04:36:22 PM

He'll love that new signature of yours I'm sure ::) :D

Seriously though, the other point of reporting direct from the Show is to get members here the latest information on new introductions for 2008. All of the major tool manufacturers will be there with their latest models. Buck, CRKT, Gerber, Leatherman, SOG, Victorinox, Wenger and others all have display booths. So do all of the major knife manufacturers, flashlight manufacturers, etc. If this year is anything like last year, there will be plenty of new innovations in all of those fields.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 04:44:49 PM

And I hope you all got lots of memory cards cards stored to take a ton of pics!!!!

This is off topic, but I want to point out that this site is independent of the manufacturers, and it's supposed to be that way.  If you don't like a tool or manufacturer, SAY IT!  This is actually more valuable to them than sucking up to them.  Plus, you'll be helping out the next guy who comes along and is considering buying a tool.  For example, look at the Charge/Wave/Surge models- great tools and highly recommended by most, but maybe not the best choice for a lefty.  Leatherman's site will never tell you that.  This site is here to help folks make informed decisions on multitool selection and purpose, be they crazy collectors (or compilers for those of you still in denial! :P) or be they someone who just wants to get the right tool for their intended uses.

And, if the manufacturers want us to say only good things about their tools and blow smoke and sunshine in certain areas, they have my address, and I am certain they have the means to obtain a dump truck and oodles of liquid fundage!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 04:52:43 PM
Thanks Def. Now I feel better on voicing Neg stuff.But on the shot show. Tell me are all the manufactures going to be there? I have never gone to one  and most likely never will :cry:.

I would really like to see some reps from Spyderco, CRKT, and Palladin check in here. It would be nice to get some info to the other than the big 4.
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 05:00:21 PM
2008 SHOT Show Exhibitor List

As you can see, it's a hefty list, but I'll be primarily interested in tool manufacturers, followed by the flashlight and knife manufacturers.

I am actually going specifically for Wenger's big new announcement but I'm taking the time to see and do as much as I possibly can. 

Def

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 05:30:28 PM
     I did not see Paladin on the list but they cater to a more specific group in the communications industry.  I did get a chance to meet and talk to people from Paladin but it was at a communications convention.  All of the major manufacturers for that group were there.  I was even fortunate enough to talk to one of the designers of the tools they make(sog makes) and some of the cool new goodies to be coming out (this was Jan 06 so most of them are out already)  Some of the tools they have are only useful to those in the trade such as myself.  They good thing is just like the sog tools you can disassemble them and change things around.  I really do not thing Paladin has a problem with this because they like sog offer replacement tool parts for their tools. I have bought several things from Paladin through their distributors not just multitools and have been pleased with them.

Offline toytoy

Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 06:09:54 PM
http://www.shotshow.com/app/homepage.cfm?appname=100300&moduleID=2641&LinkID=23949
"The SHOT Show is for the trade only and is not open to the general public."

Well, I guess the show is not for everyone.

That means, YOU GUYS PLEASE TAKE SOME GOOD PICTURES AND WRITE SOME NICE REPORTS OR YOU JUST STAY THERE AND DON'T COME BACK!

Offline toytoy

Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 06:27:39 PM
Leatherman
http://www.shotshow.com/app/homepage.cfm?moduleid=4386&appname=100300&Exid=576166
5% Discount off best pricing on one time order. 25th Anniversary Tools. Wave and Charge.
Screamin' deal; Micra: $10.49, C301: $10.49, Kick/Micra Combo Pack: $20.99.

Wenger
http://www.shotshow.com/app/homepage.cfm?moduleid=4386&appname=100300&Exid=575477
Introducing new products in the Evogrip Line (an extension to the famed Evolution line of ergonomically shaped Swiss Army Knives that features inlayed rubber handles to greatly improve grip), Ranger Series (4" blade models with ergonomic handles and convenient one-handed opening in popular tool configurations) and the Heritage Series (a very special Limited Edition knife that's been called "a must-have for the serious knife collector"). Also, the newest entrant into the Guinness Book of World Records, The Giant Swiss Army Knife.

Gerber, Victorinox, CRKT, SOG, Kershaw, Spyderco
Nothing special

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 07:31:09 PM
I won't be there (If I was in Las Vegas, I'd be doing something else anyway!), but I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 07:40:05 PM

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 08:55:13 PM
Def , will Victorinox's reps be from the US or Switzerland . If I was to attend it would be nice to speak to the organ grinder if you know what I mean  ;)

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 12:09:56 AM
I think Victorinox will be represented by their US offices only, but the good new is that Rick Taggart, head of US Operations is going to be there.  Wenger on the other hand will have the US bigwigs present in addition to Peter Hug, current CEO of Wenger in Delemont, Switzerland.

Def

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 01:13:47 AM
The show does look great guys.  I would love to go to something like that over here  :cry:.
I'm back!!

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 01:23:28 AM
I think Victorinox will be represented by their US offices only, but the good new is that Rick Taggart, head of US Operations is going to be there.  Wenger on the other hand will have the US bigwigs present in addition to Peter Hug, current CEO of Wenger in Delemont, Switzerland.

Def
Correcto. The purpose of the show is to preview new products, sign up new dealers and increase dealer sales. I will be meeting with my Victorinox rep at a formal appointment time to get new catalogs, see what's new, share my concerns and designs, thoughts and needs for my business, etc. My meeting with Wenger will be less formal but along the same lines. The place is HUGE! you can walk around for days (I have) and not see everything to the degree you want. The city will be a zoo during the weekend because of the Super Bowl. There will be a zillion people there. I will be looking for new dealership opportunities with some of the other manufacturers as well.
T

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 03:13:23 AM
I cant wait for all the reports/stories/pics you guys' get!

I've got a feeling there will be an influx of new members here as people search for SHOT show info.
[

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 06:57:14 AM
You guys are so lucky. I look forward to seeing your pics and hearing your stories. Stay out of trouble. It is Las Vegas after all.
"

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 10:31:15 AM
The show does look great guys.  I would love to go to something like that over here  :cry:.
There is, just on a vastly smaller scale ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 10:36:53 AM

What's that then mate?
I'm back!!

Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 10:40:41 AM

What's that then mate?
I think (and don't qoute me) it's the Bssc show, it's basically a hunting and sporting gun venue, with a few knives and tools thrown in as an after thought :D

Lot's and lot's of hoorah henry type's acording to my uncle ::)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 10:42:48 AM

What's that then mate?
I think (and don't qoute me) it's the Bssc show, it's basically a hunting and sporting gun venue, with a few knives and tools thrown in as an after thought :D

Lot's and lot's of hoorah henry type's acording to my uncle ::)

So is it worth going to?  Fancy a little trip one day? :D
I'm back!!

Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 10:47:16 AM
Well I can't remember where or when it is, other than it's in summer, Dunc will know and he's got closer tie's to BB to find out :)

Or you could have a sneaky look in gunmart, and see if there are any adds for one.

There is a big custom knife show in the UK, I don't know if there is one this year, but the one a couple of years back, had knives ranging from about a £100 to £2500  :o

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 10:59:51 AM
I'll have a little look mate and see what I can find.  ;)
I'm back!!

Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 11:01:16 AM
I'll have a little look mate and see what I can find.  ;)
I'll shoot Dunc a pm, maybe we could do a meet there if it's not to far :D

Any back on topic :police: :D

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 08:31:58 PM
I was offered an invite by a friend to attend the SHOT show about two years ago but I could not get the time off.  That really sucked bad. 

As for the Big Wenger announcment, what do you think they are up to?  Hopefully they will get some new cool stuff. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 09:46:35 PM
They are announcing the release of a limited number of knives constructed on the plans for the original 1893 military issue knife.  It's all here in the SOSAKOnline BLOG:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=280&Itemid=0

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008, 01:08:09 AM
I'm for sure looking forward to seeing the new-old Wengers at the show. Along with everything else of course.

What other hints have we heard about new stuff for 2008?

Leatherman has shown teaser pics of their 25th Anniversary tools.
CRKT has several new tools mentioned in a PDF file on their website.
Maybe Gerber will have a Flik on display, and maybe SOG will have a PowerAssist. I hope so!!

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 02:06:37 AM
Just FYI, the show alternates between Orlando Florida and Las Vegas each year so nest year, Orlando.
T

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD