Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Survival Knives

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Survival Knives
Reply #120 on: April 11, 2012, 12:11:45 AM
:think: :think:

I guess thats why i'm in the machete camp in the axe-vs-machete armchair wars. Knife tasks are little more 'plausible'
i did had a rabbit trap setters hatchet when i was young that i found in the old shed of house we bought. Loved it. Sleek little blade profile, light and had a hammer/pry on the reverse. Wouldn't mind pimping one out if i found one for penuts.
Truth is though i much prefer my twelve inch 'Facão' (downsized from eighteen, sounds dirty doesn't it) The reality though is if i'm stuck somewhere i will more likely have my CS Shovel. Been quite happy with its capabilities

I've been having a similar debate with myself for a while, and took a few different options to the UK meet to play with. The Cold Steel Shovel does throw well and stick in logs quite deep, but you need to carry round a Scottish forum moderator to throw it for you. As regards other functions I didn't like using it as an axe as whilst it bit deep it also announced its work quite loudly and stuck in the wood on every swing.

I have been an axe fan for a while now and could use a Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet for many knife tasks. I also took a Vaughan Mini Hatchet which provoked great swathes of laughter and earned itself the nickname of "Baby's First Axe". As a knife it's an ulu on a stick, and reasonably capable for light tasks. It'll handle making tent pegs quite comfortably, but you'd certainly want something heavier duty to process an evenings firewood ideally. With knowledge, care and attention it is capable of heavier tasks though, and googling "old jimbo" will eventually lead you to a HUGE trunk of knotty hemlock he split with one ... just for the sake of it I think. I've had the Wildlife Hatchet and Vaughan Mini for a while now and like them both

The Chris Caine Survival Tool was VERY impressive, and worked BETTER than the Wildlife Hatchet for splitting and chopping. It was very good for cross cut battoning too, which makes splitting easier afterwards. The downside is that your hands and forearms do feel it after a bit of use, and I gave it quite a bit of hammer. Extended use with an axe would be less draining on the hand and arm ... but might take longer too. For carving etc it was large but reasonably well balanced, though it could do with the edge refining a little (or maybe just more practice) and the potential was certainly there for using as a drawknife and even a skinning knife, even though I was only debarking wood to get that appreciation. The back edge would do great if you needed a blunt instrument for smashing something (though I refrained on the ostrich egg as it would have gotten VERY messy). Would I carry it as a primary survival tool? Not unless I was expecting to NEED a super dooper fandango parang type knife. It's a GREAT tool, and it will get lots of work wood processing, but for firewood at the boat or when heavy brutal "gardening" tasks are needed. It's a tool for being static with rather than mobile, unless you're traversing a jungle or such like in my opinion.

The Anton De Plessis Warthog, also by Scorpion Knives was (to me) a far better knife for when mobile. Very ergonomic and durable, and a very good "compromise" between weight size and functionality. There's been a lot of thought gone into that item and it was very well made (as was the CC Survival Tool in my opinion)

A traditional Leuku was less impressive. Saami knives have been used for centuries in Scandinavia, and are proven tools for doing ... well, whatever needs doing really. It didn't fail at anything, and I found it very comfortable (but others didn't share my thoughts on that) however it didn't perform as well as the two Sheffield made knives - at least on the tasks I was attempting. It is actually a "piggyback" combo set with a smaller Puukko, but I felt that the Warthog was a perfect alternative to that pairing ... plus smaller and at not much more cost

I also decided it was time to get my Muela stag handled Jabali 17A dirty which I've had for a number of years. It's been sat nicely in it's sheath, inside the box, glittering when the urge to ogle arises ... but it was time to get vicious with it. With all the adverse comments you get about 400 series stainlesses from today's premium steel fans, I wasn't expecting too much from it, but what a bloody great knife! It chopped (though not heavily due to the modest blade length) and I crosscut battonned it through some pretty chunky and hard material, and the blade was still perfectly sharp enough for tent peg tasks after. When you remember that today's 400 series steels (depending on the steel mill and subsequent treatments) are WAY superior to the steels our ancestors were using, we really didn't ought to whine about them at all. If for any reason they do fail, I'd say 9/10 times it's the operator that failed to use the knife in line with sensible expectations rather than a failure of the tool.

Cold Steel Bushman ... took two but didn't use them as I've used them plenty before. Good backup tools - not for primary knife selection though. They'll do everything the others will but slower and with compromised comfort. If you're going to only take one big knife into whatever arena you're considering, the Bushman is probably not the one to take unless weight is a major restriction. If you're thinking of taking a second knife as back up, then I'd suggest that one of the Bushman (standard or Bowie) will do very nicely if you know how to glean the rewards from using it and work through the compromises. Great secondary tool.

None of these tools could be replaced by a SAK or multitool, but would be very well complimented by one. I'd still want my Bahco Laplander on me too if I was expecting to do any form of wood processing. Any of the knives and axes I've mentioned here would be excellent survival tools in the right hands, accompanied by the right knowledge. They'd only fill that role if you had them when you needed them though.

If I expected to be mobile and need wood processing I'd probably go for the Anton De Plessis Warthog or Wildlife Hatchet combined with a Laplander saw and multitool. If I was on a long hike and didn't expect to be doing processing unless the SHTF, I might take the Cold Steel Shovel. The Chris Caine Tool is a superb yard, wood stove, heavy landscaping, jungle tool ... but if I was at the boat and things went wrong, or even at home and things went wrong I might be very happy to have that with me. The Muela is still a bit too pretty to be primary but would work perfectly well (surprisingly well truth be told), and I'd also be happy with a Bushman in reserve. The biggest disappointment for me was the Leuku, which has been a mainstay primary tool for tribesmen and nomadic families for many many years. It wasn't that the Leuku was bad in any way whatsoever, but the others outperformed it on the day with the tasks undertaken

All the premium steel fanboys can keep their overpriced tripe. Give me a decent simple easy to sharpen blade any day. The ingredients, compositions and structure of the blade are far less important that the ingredients, composition and structure of the mind of the user anyway. I'll probably redo this write up with piccies on a separate thread at some point, but hopefully there's some useful info for folks in there as it is for now.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:26:13 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: April 11, 2012, 12:38:56 AM
Remember, the Leuku isn't designed for chopping trees. In the core area of the Leuku, a big tree is still lower than yourself. :)

A Leuku is for the reindeer guys, people living in or near the Taiga and similar forests use a Puukko or a tollekniv combined with an axe instead.

Oh, and I just have to add my standard rant: Premium steel today usually means “highly abrasion resistant, and brittle as hell”, which really isn't what I'm personally looking for in a survival-ish knife. The hard use knives I own which I trust are made in A8-mod.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:43:54 AM by Steinar »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #122 on: April 11, 2012, 12:50:28 AM
Forgot to mention the MOD knife too (mine, not the one from the passaround, that's still MIA  ::) ) and I can see why that's issued to UK squaddies. It will cut, dig, hammer, smash, chop, pry and baton. It's ugly, rough, brutal, and brilliant.

Chrissy had a lovely little ESSE knife at the meet, and I wasn't going to ask to give that the same abuse I gave the others. That said from the grief I gave those knives this weekend I would be just as happy to be sporting one of the local creations as another guy over the pond would be with some of the "bigger" named items. I might have had to dig deep to get the tools I did - but worth every penny as far as I'm concerned

Going back to the original point of a SAK or multitool being favourable over a big knife/axe in a survival situation, I think I'd definitely want both. Fire, flood, earthquake, riot or lost "outdoors", I can see real potential for these large brutal tools beyond their ability to cut. I am still a fan of the axe and hatchet, but this weekend I decided that the sharpened prybar certainly his a role to play too

Remember, the Leuku isn't designed for chopping trees. In the core area of the Leuku, a big tree is still lower than yourself. :)

A Leuku is for the reindeer guys, people living in or near the Taiga and similar forests use a Puukko or a tollekniv combined with an axe instead.

Oh, and I just have to add my standard rant: Premium steel today usually means “highly abrasion resistant, and brittle as hell”, which really isn't what I'm personally looking for in a survival-ish knife. The hard use knives I own which I trust are made in A8-mod.

I wasn't felling a mighty oak  ;) though I will of course confess that it wasn't in it's "natural habitat"  :D Like I said, it worked - but from what I saw the other options would have been strong doing Leuku tasks too which I would imagive is chopping through bone, skinning, harvesting natural materials etc.

I'm with you 100% on the brittle factor  :tu:

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #123 on: April 11, 2012, 03:39:13 AM
I've been having a similar debate with myself for a while, and took a few different options to the UK meet to play with. The Cold Steel Shovel does throw well and stick in logs quite deep, but you need to carry round a Scottish forum moderator to throw it for you. As regards other functions I didn't like using it as an axe as whilst it bit deep it also announced its work quite loudly and stuck in the wood on every swing.
I laughed hard and then thought 'you dont need to carry him... just put him on a leash and use him to carry your items' (or learn to throw, i dont want to risk breaking my handle as post is expensive part)
i think you may just need to adjust your angle wider and use less force with the swing.  It also makes a difference if you have curve up or down with swing... i always have shovel curved down never had it 'stuck'
Recently i went round to the nature reserve with my kabar becker bk11, baton through 4 cm thick bamboo and fashioned a 'Gaff' spear. it was crude but it worked. Sharpened the tips nicely. Several days later i took the CS shovel to attack the other bamboo. With one light and effortless samurai guided swing it parted cleaner than any axe could. It also removed all the nubs and leaves with ease. The sharpening of the points was tricky.
I have yet to use it as a shovel (or a oar/paddle)

I have travelled a bit with a machete. its a pain that in most areas the extra effort of concealing it in a pack, getting in the way of trying to fish things out without exposing the machete. Even in regions that locals have them freely exposed i don't 'wear 'mine as i know i'm a foreigner and how it looks. Bad to the police and 'trying to fit in as rambo' to the locals.
Thats why i'm infatuated with the CS shovel. I can walk around with it and no one thinks 'OMG!  :ahhh OMG!!!!  :ahhh'  Latest one was when  i went rock climbing at site near a local beach. It involved a 400m+ trek along sand, rocks and scrub to the rockface. The beach carpark and shops is full of families enjoying the beach. Its an area of the 'affluent' who think things like the actual knife laws themselves keep them safe from harm.

It is amazing how many 'survival knives' designed by professionals. No two quite alike. Unsuprising since everyone of them come from different field, enviroments and topography. What i have noticed is that in most cases people who actually live in infrastructureless remote jungles, deserts and misc. rural regions use the knife they got. Usually the equivalent cheap carbon steel kitchen knife made by the prominent cutlery supplier of that region.

Also why is the scenario always 'you only got your knife'   The only time i can see that actually happening to me is in a commercial airplain crash (rare) in which case i wont have it! In any of instance i'd probably entering have at a minimum a SAK and light fixed blade (becker bk11) to supplement my CS Shovel/12"machete.

Another way of looking at it is why must i have a thick heavy 9" plus blade to do ALL-THE-TASKS-ADEQUATELY when i can have the same weight on a single SECURE sheath with several small items that will peform each task superbly.

Ah but what if you can only hold one thing and the rest of your gear sweeps away!?!?!?!? Thats just plain retarded, if you a drowning in a river, falling over a cliff edge, fleeing gunfire in the streets etc etc you will be using BOTH your hands as the urgency overides the 'hey, hold on to this cause you will need it later' I have at times dumped small bare bladed knives into cargo & back pockets for a short period of time... not doing that with the run of the mill crocodile dundee bowie.  Plus a sak on a carebiner clipped to my pants is more likely to be unobstructibly there than the clanking gladius swinging off my hip/belt/shoulderstrap.
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #124 on: April 11, 2012, 10:12:21 AM
I laughed hard and then thought 'you dont need to carry him... just put him on a leash and use him to carry your items' (or learn to throw, i dont want to risk breaking my handle as post is expensive part)

:rofl: I'll let you suggest that idea to him  :P

I tried the shovel all ways round, and again same result. It would get you out of a fix, but it wouldn't be first choice if I knew wood processing was needed. I pretty much agree with the rest though  :tu:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #125 on: April 11, 2012, 10:19:13 AM
I really liked your Chris Cane tool Al and thanks for letting us play with it  :salute:

I would sleep with it under my pillow  :dd:
Everything’s adjustable

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #126 on: April 11, 2012, 10:38:55 AM
The bushman is tempered very soft so it wouldn't break when used as spear, CS does have a couple other models around the same price, though I don't know if they are any harder.

Why would you need it harder? what task requires it to be so ridgid???  ???

Softer steels dull faster.

But easier to resharpen!!

To a point, bushman is on the too soft side. I tried chop a gatoraid bottle with one, bottle went flying and edge rolled from hitting plastic just once.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #127 on: April 11, 2012, 12:26:38 PM

:rofl: I'll let you suggest that idea to him  :P

I tried the shovel all ways round, and again same result. It would get you out of a fix, but it wouldn't be first choice if I knew wood processing was needed. I pretty much agree with the rest though  :tu:
Ahem.  I am reading this thread you know. >:( 
 ;)

I also recall that you got an excellent throw and stick just after I did. :pok:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #128 on: April 11, 2012, 12:51:34 PM

Ahem.  I am reading this thread you know. >:( 

No respect nowadays mate....  :facepalm:
respect-my-authority.jpg
* respect-my-authority.jpg (Filesize: 58.22 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #129 on: April 11, 2012, 02:12:49 PM
 :oops: :D :D :D

I ought to just point out for anyone going  ::) ::) the throwing was (of course) just for a bit of a giggle, and no I wouldn't advocate throwing ANY tools for any reason in a real scenario  ;)

I think out of the tools I used that day (and I'll include the Bushman from previous experience), here's how I'd rank them for chopping/splitting and general versatility:

• Chris Caine Survival Tool
  • Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet
  • Anton De Plessis Warthog
  • J Adams MOD Survival Knife
  • Muela Jabali 17A
  • Traditional Leuku
  • Cold Steel Shovel
  • Cold Steel Bushman
  • Vaughan Mini

The list is VERY subjective (to the events and impressions of the day) so shouldn't be taken as a literal performance guide for all scenarios. Also, if I was out on a hike in the outdoors there's more chance of me having the CS shovel on me due to the less threatening nature, or the Bushman due to capability/weight ratio. I'd like to add the Warthog or MOD knife, but the weight would probably put me off them unless I knew I'd be woods camping ... in which case I'd almost certainly have a Bahco Laplander over ANY chopping tool. I wouldn't want anything heavier than an MOD knife without a VERY good reason

... and yes, I'd probably have a SAK or even pliers based multitool too ... but I certainly wouldn't want to be reliant on the included saws. OK for canes in the garden or little "project" work, but I certainly wouldn't want to try and survive with one any more than I'd want to do the same with just a 4" drop point blade. Anything is better than nothing when you need it though

:whistle:

After experiencing the performance of ALL these knives/tools, I personally (and yes, I know I will buck the trend here) am not tempted for any of the premium steels or prestigious names like Fallkniven. I'd just be frightened of breaking/losing it or being unable to maintain it when things get ugly. ESSE's gear does look very good though I must say (well designed, well made and using sensible materials) ... it's just I'm not sure their gear would do anything better than my existing options, or better enough to buy one over here :-\

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #130 on: April 11, 2012, 02:38:29 PM
The bushman is tempered very soft so it wouldn't break when used as spear, CS does have a couple other models around the same price, though I don't know if they are any harder.

Why would you need it harder? what task requires it to be so ridgid???  ???

Softer steels dull faster.

But easier to resharpen!!

To a point, bushman is on the too soft side. I tried chop a gatoraid bottle with one, bottle went flying and edge rolled from hitting plastic just once.

Usually I just twist off the cap.   :pok:

It's great to see what everyone thinks about survival knives and survival in general.  Some good points have been brought up and I'm really enjoying reading everyone's thoughts so far!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #131 on: April 11, 2012, 03:51:08 PM
Wood processing is a new concept to me. I always strive to gather branches and logs on the ground. If they are to big to lift than they aren't worth the effort. Usualy one or two long logs is enough for me and as the night wears i push them in further and further. If its wrist thick than its worth havesting from a dead tree. Much bigger than that i ain't touching it. I have always found wood to be abundant if you look.  Maybe this would change if i did any extensive outdoor stuff in significantly colder climates.

I also shy away from wonderknives, i just don't see the appeal of falkniven etc I will say i still am a production snob though as i prefer almost anything of a china steel USA. The ESEE, Busse etc neck knives are the exception but thats more a case of size, shape and function.

I am confused about the the gatorade bottle test. Wouldn't you just hold it and slice it? I think the tensile strength in the plastic and the elasticity don't reflect wood or meat very well. Could it also be your blade or have you had the opportunity to test others. A lot of review comment the factory edge is good and holds up to many task.
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #132 on: April 11, 2012, 05:04:39 PM
Wood processing is a new concept to me. I always strive to gather branches and logs on the ground. If they are to big to lift than they aren't worth the effort. Usualy one or two long logs is enough for me and as the night wears i push them in further and further. If its wrist thick than its worth havesting from a dead tree. Much bigger than that i ain't touching it. I have always found wood to be abundant if you look.  Maybe this would change if i did any extensive outdoor stuff in significantly colder climates.

I also shy away from wonderknives, i just don't see the appeal of falkniven etc I will say i still am a production snob though as i prefer almost anything of a china steel USA. The ESEE, Busse etc neck knives are the exception but thats more a case of size, shape and function.

I am confused about the the gatorade bottle test. Wouldn't you just hold it and slice it? I think the tensile strength in the plastic and the elasticity don't reflect wood or meat very well. Could it also be your blade or have you had the opportunity to test others. A lot of review comment the factory edge is good and holds up to many task.

It ain't the cold ... it's the wet

I tried doing the star fire (feed big log in) technique on my stove but couldn't get the door shut  :P I have actually done that though. There were a few of us in a bothy on an uninhabited island on the Outer Hebrides in Scotland. There's no trees there, so the only fuel supply was driftwood and we just had bushcraft type knives  :-\

We managed to get enough processed wood together to get a fire going, but then had to feed in what looked like an old sailing mast we'd found as we had no axes and saws, and dropping boulders on it had failed to smash it into bite sized pieces. We'd have been in for a long cold night otherwise

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #133 on: April 11, 2012, 05:14:13 PM
It ain't the cold ... it's the wet

That sums it it nicely.  Certainly here in Scotland the chances of finding 100% dry, easy to burn wood is not to be relied on.  Being able to split wood means you are far more likely to be able to produce an easily maintained, bright, hot fire at any time of the year and in almost any weather conditions.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #134 on: April 11, 2012, 06:12:10 PM
I've always fancied these, http://www.knifecenter.com/item/SWEDFNBA1/fallkniven-ba1-swedish-a1-survival-knife

I want to make a few up with orange textured G10 scales and titanium bolsters in a nice orange Kydex sheath for the ultimate bushcraft knife.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #135 on: April 11, 2012, 07:44:31 PM
Also why is the scenario always 'you only got your knife'   The only time i can see that actually happening to me is in a commercial airplain crash (rare) in which case i wont have it! In any of instance i'd probably entering have at a minimum a SAK and light fixed blade (becker bk11) to supplement my CS Shovel/12"machete.

Not always, Ray Mears, one of the very few sane survival guys on TV IMHO, uses the scenario “only what you got on your person”, not “only your knife”, which is why he always stresses one should always carry a knife and a way to light a fire on your person. This to cover the kind of scenario you mention, where e.g. a boat capsizes and the rest of the gear is swept away with the boat. Which means most of the people here should use the scenario “you only got your multitool, three knives, four flashlights, a signal flare, a bic, a fire steel, a knife sharpener, an emergency transmitter, a water purifying kit, a first aid kit, a magnesium bar, a mobile phone (of course in a water proof bag or box), a survival blanket and a chocolate”.  ::)

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #136 on: April 11, 2012, 07:46:29 PM
It also depends on what's available and where you are.

In the Sierras in California, in places where you can gather dead and downed wood, and/or in  places that are heavily trafficked, there's often little if any small stuff easily available.  That necessitates chopping and splitting.  In fact, simply by bringing my axe and saw, I can make use of stuff that few other people can. 

I've used a 21" Sven Saw for the past several years, but it's finally giving up the ghost... even with a new blade it's fatigued enough that it's just too flexy and it's hard to cut a straight kerf with.  This summer I'll be getting a new Trailblazer take-down buck saw.   :D  I'm really looking forward to it.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #137 on: April 11, 2012, 09:00:16 PM

In the Sierras in California...

I remember the last time I went camping in the Sierras. It was a Memorial Day weekend, and we were up from Sonora, I think it was near Stanislaus National Forest. We went to sleep in 60 degree weather in the rain, and woke up the next morning covered with 8 inches of snow.
It got so cold that the dog crawled into the sleeping bag between me and the wife :)  By the time we got packed up and down by Sonora, it was 80 degrees again. Had a nice breakfast in a little place off of 49. Really good food  :tu:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

• No Life Club
Reply #138 on: April 12, 2012, 12:30:32 AM

In the Sierras in California...

I remember the last time I went camping in the Sierras. It was a Memorial Day weekend, and we were up from Sonora, I think it was near Stanislaus National Forest. We went to sleep in 60 degree weather in the rain, and woke up the next morning covered with 8 inches of snow.
It got so cold that the dog crawled into the sleeping bag between me and the wife :)  By the time we got packed up and down by Sonora, it was 80 degrees again. Had a nice breakfast in a little place off of 49. Really good food  :tu:
Can't think of any place I've ever been as beautiful as the Sierras.  The Durango area in CO comes close, but the forests there aren't as thick and nice as in CA.  If I had to pick one place to live the rest of my life, and I couldn't ever move anywhere else, I'd choose somewhere in the central to northern Sierras...  somewhere north of Yosemite, and south of Lassen.  I sure wouldn't mind Lassen... a whole lot less crowded than Yosemite, that's for certain!
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #139 on: April 12, 2012, 02:31:25 AM
I sure wouldn't mind Lassen... a whole lot less crowded than Yosemite, that's for certain!

I'm a state/national park/forest junkie. We try to visit one every time we travel, and the only one that ever disappointed me was Yosemite, at least the main visitor part. I mean with the roads going right through the narrow valley, it was so disappointing to hike along and hear car after car going by. Yep, there is nothing like bumper to bumper traffic to take the majesty out a place.

Never got up to Lassen, looks beautiful, maybe someday... :dd:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

• No Life Club
Reply #140 on: April 13, 2012, 04:04:27 PM
I sure wouldn't mind Lassen... a whole lot less crowded than Yosemite, that's for certain!

I'm a state/national park/forest junkie. We try to visit one every time we travel, and the only one that ever disappointed me was Yosemite, at least the main visitor part. I mean with the roads going right through the narrow valley, it was so disappointing to hike along and hear car after car going by. Yep, there is nothing like bumper to bumper traffic to take the majesty out a place.

Never got up to Lassen, looks beautiful, maybe someday... :dd:
Yosemite in the summer $ucks major a$$...  I've seen people wait in line at a shuttle stop longer than it would take them to make the walk!  Particularly something short like Curry Village to the Visitor Center, or to Happy Isles.  Lazy smurf-tards!   :rant:  Like you said, add to that the traffic, noise, etc. (they're getting SMOG in the valley in the summers sometimes now!) it's just not worth it.  We never go any time between April and Sept. anymore.  Now it's only in late fall through early spring we even set foot in the place anymore. 

Lassen is, in a word, awesome.  It's not as tall as Shasta, but it's got a lot more trails, nicer camp grounds, and is a more family friendly place.  That's important to my wife and I since we've got two kids.  She and I have also done a day hike all the way up to the caldera and back... it's mind blowing... Lassen isn't actually extinct, it's just dormant, so there are actual hot springs and mineral pools there.  You can't go in them, but it's still really cool to hike around them and check them out.  Shasta gets croweded in the summer, which is another suckage issue, and why we prefer Lassen. 

If you ever get the chance, you should check out Lava Beds National Monument too.  It's a bit of a drive from where we live in the Bay Area, as it's just a stone's throw from the OR border, but it's an awesome place.  Fantastic stargazing there.  We did our first caving there last summer, and now I can't wait to go back.  I'm interested in doing more caving now too because of it.  Also a very cool place to be because even in the middle of summer there's not a lot of crowds there.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #141 on: April 13, 2012, 04:42:22 PM
I haven't gone to a ton of national parks, but one I loved and almost never hear mentioned is Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan. awesome sandstone cliffs, white (singing) sand beaches, and water like pics you see in the tropics. Except colder. We did a week-long hike, and since we were swimming every day, it was the only hiking trip where everyone didn't smell rather gamey. If you go and intend to swim, go in late summer. Lake Superior doesn't warm up quickly. I hear it's a particularly good trip if you're kayaking.

sg Offline demonoflust

Reply #142 on: April 13, 2012, 09:47:57 PM
Let me introduce something that the legendary jungle special force use and it's reasonable price with exceptional quality material.

Introducing the:
http://nepalkhukurihouse.com/Products/?showmaster=category&CatID=18
http://nepalkhukurihouse.com/1/Nepal-Army-Service-Kukri.php
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:50:52 PM by demonoflust »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #143 on: April 13, 2012, 09:57:52 PM
Kukris are cool, but I've never heard gurkhas mentioned as jungle special forces before. I didn't think there was a lot of jungle in Nepal, more, well, mountains?

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #144 on: April 13, 2012, 10:06:04 PM
And lets not forget the venerable Marine Corps Ka-Bar!!!
Proven since WWII. :salute:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #145 on: April 13, 2012, 10:21:37 PM
 :worthless:

;)

My tourist Kuk with an anglicized handle

My K-Bar

Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #146 on: April 13, 2012, 11:05:15 PM
Your K-Bar looks suspiciously like a SOG.

Wait... am I looking at the wrong thing? :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #147 on: April 13, 2012, 11:11:04 PM
I hope to be able to get more piccies up when I move.
All the stuff I mentioned above is on the list  :)

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #148 on: April 13, 2012, 11:14:30 PM
Lynn  :D

From top left to bottom right
Sidewinder light
K-Bar USMC knife
Adjusted BAK (British Army Knife)
My only SOG multitool

:salute:

@Al,
Looking forward to it   :tu:

Everything’s adjustable

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #149 on: April 13, 2012, 11:55:09 PM
The Ka-Bar is a great knife, massive but beautifully balanced.  Here's mine with an example of what it would have faced in the Pacific-the Japanese Type 30 sword bayonet.  This fit both standard Japanese rifles of the time, the Type 38 6.5mm and the Type 99 7.7mm .  This particular one has a hooked "blade breaker" quillion, which isn't the most common variant.  It was brought home by my grandfather, who was a Marine.

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%