Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Survival Knives

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Survival Knives
Reply #150 on: April 14, 2012, 12:05:25 AM
It was brought home by my grandfather, who was a Marine.

A bit of a sobering thought.

Sparky, I hope you understand, I do indeed know what a K-Bar is, and what it looks like. My brother was a Marine, and LOVED the K-Bar. I was a programmer in the Air Force and LOVE my keychain MTs. I think that sums up the difference in our philosophies pretty well. He needs to be able to be lethal and survive in the wilds. I needed to be able to swap a failed hard drive. :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #151 on: April 14, 2012, 12:36:00 AM
I really like the Kabar too, though I must confess I do not own one.

The Kabar as I understand it is predominantly a fighting knife, much like our Fairburn Sykes knives. I think our MOD knife is more of a "tool" and more versatile (please correct me if I'm wrong), and that's the kind of knives I go for. Obviously ANY knife is useful in a survival situation, but I hope you see what I mean.

The Muela Jabali of mine is also bowie style, but the stag handle and brass bolsters make it feel more of a general knife than a fighting instrument to me

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #152 on: April 14, 2012, 12:39:19 AM
If you want a US equivalent to Fairbairn-Sykes, you would look at the Applegate-Fairbairn (yes, it was the same Fairbairn in the two knives). The ka-bar was a hunting knife chosen for military use after evaluating a number of civilian knives, since no military design existed. The ka-bar has to do everything from fighting to digging to, well, stabbing, where the FS and AF are only weapons.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #153 on: April 14, 2012, 01:02:50 AM
Take a read of this article from "facebook friend" Thomas"Tomahawk" Moore.
http://tomahawksadventuretravel.blogspot.com/2012/04/ol-butch-my-faithful-blade.html
 :whistle:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #154 on: April 14, 2012, 01:11:06 AM
http://tomahawksadventuretravel.blogspot.com/2012/04/ol-butch-my-faithful-blade.html

:D :D :D I like that  :tu:

sg Offline demonoflust

Reply #155 on: April 14, 2012, 02:52:01 AM
Kukris are cool, but I've never heard gurkhas mentioned as jungle special forces before. I didn't think there was a lot of jungle in Nepal, more, well, mountains?

Steinar, you are right. Gurkhas were not known for their Jungle warefare, it was in this part of the world South East Asia the Gurkhas was deployed as elite to fight jungle warefare against the Malayan communist party. That was why they were seens as elite of jungle warefare here, they were deploy in Borneo too: http://www.historicaleye.com/sukarno.html

There are probably better known Jungle warefare elite than the Gurkhas though :)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #156 on: April 14, 2012, 03:18:58 AM
Ah, that clears it up. Thanks.  :tu:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #157 on: April 14, 2012, 08:51:40 AM

:D :D :D I like that  :tu:

+ 1   :D

@Al,
Mine was in my toy box at the meet, I can't remember who got to see it

@Lynn
I guessed you were joking, to be polite I though I should label them anyway (and I'm sure you could remove a hard drive using the K-Bar  >:D  )

Everything’s adjustable

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #158 on: April 14, 2012, 12:12:40 PM
@Al,
Mine was in my toy box at the meet, I can't remember who got to see it

Yeah, I saw it mate, that's why I said I like 'em  :D

It just struck me as more of a stabby thingy, than a choppy, bashy, diggy, whacky, pry-y thingy  :rofl:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #159 on: April 14, 2012, 02:28:10 PM
I guessed you were joking, to be polite I though I should label them anyway (and I'm sure you could remove a hard drive using the K-Bar  >:D  )

Yeah, I guess I should have been more clear in my first post. It sucks that humor comes across so flat via text sometimes. The labels saved me coming back to ask what the folding blade one was, so yes, very helpful.

As for using a K-Bar to remove a hard drive... well, yes, you could, and honestly, it wouldn't be the dumbest thing I've seen done with computer hardware by a fair shot. :D

Big-Target: Nice read, and amusing.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #160 on: April 14, 2012, 03:02:09 PM

Got me all sentimental as my very first 'sheath knife' was a very similar 'seaman's' knife. :dd:  Sadly long disappeared now after being lent to a friend when we were still kids. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #161 on: April 14, 2012, 03:55:21 PM

Yeah, I guess I should have been more clear in my first post. It sucks that humor comes across so flat via text sometimes. The labels saved me coming back to ask what the folding blade one was, so yes, very helpful.

As for using a K-Bar to remove a hard drive... well, yes, you could, and honestly, it wouldn't be the dumbest thing I've seen done with computer hardware by a fair shot. :D

Big-Target: Nice read, and amusing.

There's a bit about it here when you get a spare min  :tu:
And My photo was from an attempt at showing an 'Army Style' EDC

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,28303.msg492249.html#msg492249
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #162 on: April 14, 2012, 08:28:00 PM

Very nice, sir. You do beautiful work.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #163 on: April 14, 2012, 09:21:27 PM

Very nice, sir. You do beautiful work.

Thanks Lynn  :salute:
I'm more than happy with it but I still need to work on my pin peaning (and my camera takes some good pictures  ;) )
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Survival Knives
Reply #164 on: April 21, 2012, 06:01:34 PM
Did you guys ever see the thread on YouTube, I think by Urban Prepper? He built a neat little kit that he actually does carry all around. Sine of the items were floss, Immodium AD, Tylenol. Things we are actually likely to need in the REAL world.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #165 on: April 22, 2012, 02:34:16 AM
It is suprising what One can do with Dental Floss and a Needle!
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #166 on: April 22, 2012, 02:51:11 AM
Did you guys ever see the thread on YouTube, I think by Urban Prepper? He built a neat little kit that he actually does carry all around. Sine of the items were floss, Immodium AD, Tylenol. Things we are actually likely to need in the REAL world.

Dumb question.  Tried looking for that thread, you got the link?? :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #167 on: April 23, 2012, 06:05:08 AM
I think he means this video.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #168 on: April 27, 2012, 12:22:43 PM
Well i think ive now got my GK survival knife setup sorted, added a lanyard hole (all ashleys fault lol)

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #169 on: May 31, 2012, 11:25:26 PM
After having to bushwhack through several miles of poison oak infested trail this last weekend, and other types of flora, I decided I need a good machete that I can carry on my backpack.  After much research I've ordered a Condor Tool & Knife "Golok". 

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/CN41014HCS/Condor-Tool-and-Knife-Golok-Machete-14-inch-Black-Carbon-Steel-Blade-Walnut-Handles-Leather-Sheath

I figure it'll double as a general purpose survival knife as well, as it's large enough to use for wood processing. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:40:28 PM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #170 on: June 01, 2012, 01:10:38 AM
I'd be interested in hearing what you think about the Golok mate, they certainly seem to be getting good reviews. :)

• No Life Club
Reply #171 on: June 01, 2012, 01:30:48 AM
I'd be interested in hearing what you think about the Golok mate, they certainly seem to be getting good reviews. :)

I'll keep you posted... It won't be here until next week, most likely, and we don't have another camping trip scheduled until July, when we're going to Sequoia / King's Canyon.  Not sure about the trails there, but after my Tuolumne experience, I don't want to go without it!

I'll take it up into the open space preserved behind my house after I get it, and test it on some of the poison oak we have here...   >:D

Edit: I have to admit I'm having second thoughts now, and thinking I should've gotten the Parang instead...  each has features I like.  The Golok's blade tapers from 1/4" thick at the handle, to 1/8" at the tip, so it should work well on brush, and its sheath doesn't require opening any snaps.  The Parang, on the other hand, has a bit better reach and is more designed for brush and weeds than the Golok.  However, it doesn't have the tapered blade, or the snap-less sheath, or the nice ball-end on the handle... 

Agh!  It never ends!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 03:52:46 AM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #172 on: June 01, 2012, 08:10:32 AM
Just been comparing the specs on them and I can see your dilemma. :-\  On balance I think I would have chosen the Golok myself.

• No Life Club
Reply #173 on: June 02, 2012, 09:13:57 PM
Just been comparing the specs on them and I can see your dilemma. :-\  On balance I think I would have chosen the Golok myself.
Yeah, I think the Golok is the better of the two as an overall multipurpose utility tool...  the blade should be better for wood processing than the Parang.  The shorter length and the snap-less sheath are really what made me go for the Golok, as I think that'll make the Golok more pack-friendly.  My hiking pack is a Mountainsmith Approach 3.0, which has side slots for cross country skis.  There's a compression strap at the top of the slot, so I'm going to try running it through the belt loop of the sheath for carrying the Golok.

Our back yard is pretty overgrown right now, and my wife has been on me for a while about getting it dealt with...  I can't rent a weed eater until Monday, but even so, there are some pretty nasty clumps of thistles out there that I'm going to save for testing the Golok.  My wife said she'd even take pics for me to post here for a review of the tool.  With any luck I'll get it early next week, and I'll be able to post a review a day or two after I get it.  I'm really looking forward to getting this tool... partly because after enduring a week of poison oak rash on my side and face, I'm out for revenge!!!   >:D

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #174 on: June 04, 2012, 05:47:07 PM
I keep thinking about a Woodsman's Pal myself

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #175 on: June 04, 2012, 06:49:23 PM
Kukris are cool, but I've never heard gurkhas mentioned as jungle special forces before. I didn't think there was a lot of jungle in Nepal, more, well, mountains?

Steinar, you are right. Gurkhas were not known for their Jungle warefare, it was in this part of the world South East Asia the Gurkhas was deployed as elite to fight jungle warefare against the Malayan communist party. That was why they were seens as elite of jungle warefare here, they were deploy in Borneo too: http://www.historicaleye.com/sukarno.html

There are probably better known Jungle warefare elite than the Gurkhas though :)

I hadnt had a Kukri for over 20 years untill picking these 2 up recently, they defiantly would make a grea jungle survival knife  :tu:

00 Offline Dtrain

Reply #176 on: June 06, 2012, 12:49:55 AM
I have been poking around the Yard and on Hikes with one of thse as an EDC survival knife of a light weight sort...my Rajah II in the Jack Pack and either my Spartan or Rajah III in my Pocket or Vice Versa depending on my Mood of course backed up by an SAK or Two...
http://www.coldsteel.com/rajahseries.html

Dtrain

PS...The Rajah II is awsome for cutting starps and such

• No Life Club
Reply #177 on: June 06, 2012, 10:35:27 PM
The shipping on my Golok from Knifecenter is taking forever...   :facepalm:   :whistle:  I ordered it a week ago today, and it won't be here for two more days yet...  :rant:

I am really looking forward to getting it.  I'll check the edge and finish it up if necessary, then I'm going to put it through its paces... 

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #178 on: June 07, 2012, 12:55:10 AM
I'm still a HUGE fan of the Puukko style for dealing with the vast majority of tasks, but many people expect something bigger for a "survival" knife. I've not got many, but the ones I have got are very dependable and very capable

I posted them in another thread recently, but they belong here too. From the top:

Chris Caine Survival Tool - a real brute of a tool, but capable of lighter work too
Scandi Puukko - not the best chopping knife but a very capable knife all the same
J Adams MOD Survival knife - British Army Issue sharpened prybar
Muela Jabali 17A - full tang bowie with stag and brass for surviving in style  :D
Scorpion Knives Warthog - SUPERB knife and actually beats a Puukko for me. LOVE IT!!!

• No Life Club
Reply #179 on: June 07, 2012, 11:23:56 PM
The thing that bugs me about puukko style knives is they don't have any kind of finger groove, guard, choil, etc. to keep the hand from slipping down onto the blade.

I've been looking a lot at the Condor Tavian... looks like a great small utility knife.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%