Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Survival Knives

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Survival Knives
Reply #180 on: June 08, 2012, 12:44:18 AM
I got this from Neil after the last meet-up.

TBH I've never had an issue with the lack of any kind of finger guard on this style of knife and I've got to say the grip in very comfortable.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #181 on: June 08, 2012, 12:50:46 AM
I got this from Neil after the last meet-up.

(Image removed from quote.)

TBH I've never had an issue with the lack of any kind of finger guard on this style of knife and I've got to say the grip in very comfortable.
Nice knife, Gareth!  I'd say it's *pretty*  :D

Thanks for the info.  Nothing personal against the style, I've just always felt more secure when there's a guard or place for my fingers.

And the wait for my Golok is killing me!!!   :rant:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #182 on: June 08, 2012, 01:03:21 AM
'Pretty' is probably not all that unfair. :D  It's a J.Marttiini (a Finnish knife brand) and has "Joulumaa, Santa Claus Land" stamped on the sheath.  A nice knife anyway and seems to have taken a good edge.  Not actually done much of anything with it yet, other than sharpen it, so I can't say how good it is but I can't see any issues ATM.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #183 on: June 08, 2012, 01:12:47 AM
'Pretty' is probably not all that unfair. :D  It's a J.Marttiini (a Finnish knife brand) and has "Joulumaa, Santa Claus Land" stamped on the sheath.(Image removed from quote.)  A nice knife anyway and seems to have taken a good edge.  Not actually done much of anything with it yet, other than sharpen it, so I can't say how good it is but I can't see any issues ATM.
Either way, it's a beauty, for sure.  :)  Have fun!

Tell you what, you post more pics of your new Martini, and I'll post some pics of my Golok when it comes... if it ever does...   :rant:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #184 on: February 27, 2018, 10:43:48 PM
Thread necro!

This was a fun thread and I thought I'd bring it back up to see if anyone has anything to add.  If not, it's a good read at least!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #185 on: February 27, 2018, 11:38:29 PM
I enjoy these sorts of threads because of the diversity of discussion they generate.

I also don't think there is any 'one' ideal survival knife. The reality is--as others already stated in this thread--the best survival knife is the one you have with you when the Smurf's hit the Mosh Pit. And different circumstances will suggest different survival 'knives'. A good machete will be the tool of choice in tropical environments, a good axe in more boreal climates.

As a basic survival tool, I think it's hard to beat a Vic Farmer or Leatherman Wave. The "Survivorman" series highlights how different tools can all serve a survival role.

I've been run through a few military survival courses and have come to the conclusion that one's mentality is more significant than one's tool set. Still, it's always nice to be equipped with a handy tools set.

I usually deployed with a Vic Farmer and a multitool, Wave or Charge. In addition, I carried a fixed blade. Initially I carried a Camilus USAF Pilot's knife, but then I got Scott Gossman to make me the knife pictured below. I asked him to make me a 5.5" knife I could use to cut my way out of a downed helicopter. Here's what he came up with:

Off the leash:

I absolutely love this knife, simple as it is. And yet, I almost never carry it now. When I go off on an adventure or road trip, this isn't the knife I carry.

Why?

Because this knife is now special to me and I don't want to risk it being damaged or lost. How is that for backward, smurfed thinking?

But, also, I'm not sure that any old knife won't also serve as a 'survival knife' in a crisis. How often will you really need anything more than a Vic Farmer in a tight spot?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #186 on: February 27, 2018, 11:44:33 PM
I enjoy these sorts of threads because of the diversity of discussion they generate.

I also don't think there is any 'one' ideal survival knife. The reality is--as others already stated in this thread--the best survival knife is the one you have with you when the Smurf's hit the Mosh Pit. And different circumstances will suggest different survival 'knives'. A good machete will be the tool of choice in tropical environments, a good axe in more boreal climates.

As a basic survival tool, I think it's hard to beat a Vic Farmer or Leatherman Wave. The "Survivorman" series highlights how different tools can all serve a survival role.

I've been run through a few military survival courses and have come to the conclusion that one's mentality is more significant than one's tool set. Still, it's always nice to be equipped with a handy tools set.

I usually deployed with a Vic Farmer and a multitool, Wave or Charge. In addition, I carried a fixed blade. Initially I carried a Camilus USAF Pilot's knife, but then I got Scott Gossman to make me the knife pictured below. I asked him to make me a 5.5" knife I could use to cut my way out of a downed helicopter. Here's what he came up with:

Off the leash:

I absolutely love this knife, simple as it is. And yet, I almost never carry it now. When I go off on an adventure or road trip, this isn't the knife I carry.

Why?

Because this knife is now special to me and I don't want to risk it being damaged or lost. How is that for backward, smurfed thinking?

But, also, I'm not sure that any old knife won't also serve as a 'survival knife' in a crisis. How often will you really need anything more than a Vic Farmer in a tight spot?

That's one beautiful knife you have there mate  :drool:.

I wouldn't use it either, but then again, I only really use stuff that I own doubles from (or triples  ::)).

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #187 on: February 28, 2018, 12:29:43 AM
Thanks, 24.

I feel badly about not using this knife more, but, then, how often do you need to cut your way out of a helicopter?  Scott makes a great knife, and if this one had a more conventional sheath, I'd probably carry it more regularly.

:cheers:

hr Offline styx

Reply #188 on: February 28, 2018, 09:24:54 AM
reminds me a bit of a smaller Tusker that Gossman makes
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #189 on: February 28, 2018, 01:00:01 PM
That is a beautiful knife.   :tu:

If you want a good knife that can cut you out of a helicopter (and clean fish, strip bark or pretty well anything else you want to do) plus has a normal looking traditional leather sheath, check out Grohmann knives.  Specifically the #1 which was issued to the Canadian Paratrooper Corps (the Red Arrows) in the late 60's or my latest go to knife, the #4 if you want something bigger.  They are both a lot more knife than folks give  them credit for.  :D

I recently picked up a book in a discount store called The Ultimate Survival Manual- Canadian Edition.  It features 333 Survival Skills, and I'm not sure how I managed to live on this planet for 43 years (so far) without the knowledge contained within.  It has interesting articles like "How to survive a lion attack" which doesn't strike me as an overly common issue in Canada that I need to prepare for, you know, as we don't have lions in Canada.

Yes, some of you will point out that we have mountain lions, but the article is about African Lions, which are very differently behaved than our mountain lions, rendering the article useless..

There's another section on how to deal with a broken bone.  At one point it says don't try to reset the bone if it is protruding the skin, just splint it as is.  Then nothing.  So, I guess once you splint it, it'll be ok, and you can just leave it that way?   :facepalm:

It does say in the beginning though, that survival is more of a mindset than any gear, which I think is something we all can agree on.

Def
Survival Book.jpg
* Survival Book.jpg (Filesize: 108.5 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #190 on: February 28, 2018, 02:37:04 PM

Why?

that's a lovely knife down to basics. No complicated blade shape, complex grind, fancy scales material, no weird screws or unnecessary add-ons...truly a utilitarian and straightforward working blade.
I like that it screams simplicity, but also versatility and usefulness..

a nice piece as usual   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #191 on: February 28, 2018, 03:01:49 PM
I've got a Grohmann #1 belt knife which I picked up in Nova Scotia at the factory. Mine has a flat grind, and makes a great slicer. I was so pleased with it that I got a couple more to give to family as gifts.

I think the #3 is the famous Army 'Jump knife'. The #4 looks like a beast of a survival knife and would be a solid choice for anyone. I'm surprised more makers haven't copied the ergonomic design Grohmann pioneered.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #192 on: February 28, 2018, 10:04:05 PM
Thanks, 24.

I feel badly about not using this knife more, but, then, how often do you need to cut your way out of a helicopter?  Scott makes a great knife, and if this one had a more conventional sheath, I'd probably carry it more regularly.

It's a good thing you know someone who does nice leather work  ;)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #193 on: February 28, 2018, 10:15:52 PM
 :facepalm:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #194 on: March 02, 2018, 01:34:31 PM

Off the leash:

Why?

Beautiful knife Nix.
I just saw this topic and read the last page, I'll take the time to read it from the start soon

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #195 on: March 02, 2018, 06:44:20 PM
Here's a pic of my Grohmann (Stamped #KI, but I'm fairly sure it's a FFG #1.)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #196 on: March 02, 2018, 07:32:41 PM
I don't like survival knives.  I never even liked knives with larger than 4 inch blades.  I couldn't figure out why people wanted to carry a huge, heavy knife, that to me was hard to work with. I still prefer to carry a machete for chopping and a smaller knife for knife jobs.  Then it dawned on me that all the YouTube proponents of big heavy survival knives were from up north in the pine and deciduous forests.  They're all axe guys used to chopping hard and sappy trees and they really don't do well with machetes. They would never go camping without a hatchet or camp axe, so a big heavy knife is an easy transition.  Why? because a big knife is not a substitute for a machete but it is a substitute for a hatchet and if I was in an area of hardwoods where a hatchet might come in handy then I suppose I would find a big heavy knife more universally useful than a hatchet if that was all I had with me for some silly reason.  I don't think I've had only one knife on me in years so I don't think I have to worry about it.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #197 on: March 03, 2018, 05:51:10 PM
This was my first fixed blade purchase after I developed a knife addiction about 10 - 11 years ago. The Chris Reeve Mountaineer II.

I bought it used on the bay of E for a pretty good price, I think around $150. I carried and used it on camping and hiking trips until another fixed blade arrived, and then another and another and so on ::)  I really like the hollow handle design and carried a variety of useful items in it when it was actively used. Even now that I pull it out after 5 years of hiding there were matches and a striker inside. It is a pretty cool knife and I'm tempted to carry it again but now that these are discontinued and the prices asked are over the top, I may just keep this as one of the few collector pieces I own.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #198 on: March 03, 2018, 09:28:44 PM
The whole survival thing is pretty unlikely for me personally (I don't go camping anymore, less it be in a hotel room), as per OP. Having water in my car on a hot summer day, and have my mobile charged helps me survive better then a carrying a survival knife.  Still, you never know what may happen. Earthquakes, Zombies, Alien invasions etc. So having something that may help out in such a situation is not a bad thing. Hence I have a few items that besides chopping up a supermarket bought chicken or some ice blocks, are very rarely used, and are sitting in the bottom drawer of my bed side table. (burglars, be warned)
My SOG Tech Bowie, and Fast Hawk.

Maybe not the best survival tools out there, but I cut some trees with both and they seem to work as advertised, and I like the way they look.

Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #199 on: March 04, 2018, 04:05:24 PM
The whole survival thing is pretty unlikely for me personally (I don't go camping anymore, less it be in a hotel room), as per OP. Having water in my car on a hot summer day, and have my mobile charged helps me survive better then a carrying a survival knife.  Still, you never know what may happen. Earthquakes, Zombies, Alien invasions etc. So having something that may help out in such a situation is not a bad thing. Hence I have a few items that besides chopping up a supermarket bought chicken or some ice blocks, are very rarely used, and are sitting in the bottom drawer of my bed side table. (burglars, be warned)
Maybe not the best survival tools out there, but I cut some trees with both and they seem to work as advertised, and I like the way they look.

good tools  :like: and true that here we don't have many "disaster scenarios" threatening to pop up where we live,
but in Spain you'd better not take those out of home... :rant: :(

even in the outdoors you're sure to meet the authorities sooner or later if you're seen with them   :P
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #200 on: March 04, 2018, 04:55:10 PM

good tools  :like: and true that here we don't have many "disaster scenarios" threatening to pop up where we live,

even in the outdoors you're sure to meet the authorities sooner or later if you're seen with them   :P

Thanks! On my own property, it is perfectly fine to have, but out in the streets, anything with a blade over 11 cm is illegal in Spain.
I suppose when the SHTF, it's a different story.
BTW: My toy slingshot is illegal to.

I would face jail time if they would catch me with that.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:02:03 PM by microbe »
@blackdiamonds_42

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #201 on: March 05, 2018, 01:36:36 PM

Thanks! On my own property, it is perfectly fine to have, but out in the streets, anything with a blade over 11 cm is illegal in Spain.

kewl!  8)
I have one from The Slingshot Channel and two old metal bodied ones,
and yes we'd be in trouble with those in almost any context in this country   :D
My toys:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #202 on: March 05, 2018, 04:34:04 PM

kewl!  8)
I have one from The Slingshot Channel and two old metal bodied ones,
and yes we'd be in trouble with those in almost any context in this country   :D

I need to change the illegal hollow tube rubber band with a flat band, that would legally make it a toy again.
The funny thing is that some flat bands are even more powerful then the hollow tube ones.
The law sometimes does not make any sense....
@blackdiamonds_42

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #203 on: March 05, 2018, 04:49:53 PM
I started making a sheath for an all-purpose-probably-even-survival knife. I think the sheath will be more survival-like than the knife...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #204 on: March 05, 2018, 04:55:26 PM
I started making a sheath for an all-purpose-probably-even-survival knife. I think the sheath will be more survival-like than the knife...

:popcorn:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #205 on: March 05, 2018, 04:56:35 PM

:popcorn:

I'll get some pics of it. Still working on the carry method attachments.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #206 on: December 19, 2018, 08:23:34 PM
I've really enjoyed reading this old thread. tom.  :like:
Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceòl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #207 on: January 06, 2019, 02:28:48 PM
I hang out so much in the Swiss Army Knights, I forgot how many other great topics there are.
Here's my #4 Grohman, bought around 1980/81.
And like Nix said it's a beast, a real chopper that could replace a hatchet

20190106_091359-1.jpg
* 20190106_091359-1.jpg (Filesize: 66.2 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #208 on: January 07, 2019, 04:10:35 AM
That Grohman is awesome :dd: :drool: :like:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #209 on: January 07, 2019, 07:40:41 AM
I think my latest is a survival knife too.
Ready to tackle just about anything.

A Mora Garberg.
As with some others here, it'll most likely be on stand-by for most of the time, but with the first valid excuse to take it on a hike, I will :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%