Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Survival Knives

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Re: Survival Knives
Reply #60 on: March 02, 2012, 06:57:52 PM
So my meet-up shopping list consists of a jar of Marmite for Neil and a big block of stilton for you?  Will do. :salute:
:rofl:

Pictures, there must be pictures!

:rofl:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #61 on: March 02, 2012, 06:58:57 PM
I am not big on blue cheese but Broccoli and Stilton soup was one of of my favourites  :drool: in the UK... I am really annoyed I can not find it here....
Absolutely one of my favourite soups as well. :drool:  They've even now started doing instant 'cup-a-soup' in broccoli and stilton, obviously not as nice as home made stuff but not bad either.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: March 03, 2012, 11:43:51 PM
Mmm!  Bleu cheese!  Yum!!!   :drool:

When I was a kid, the first time I saw my mom buying Swiss cheese in the store I complained that we were getting ripped off because we had to pay for all those holes!   
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #63 on: March 04, 2012, 12:49:21 AM
The holes are the best part!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: March 04, 2012, 10:36:04 PM
Back on topic, I've been thinking about getting a dedicated 'bushcraft' knife, and for now I think I'll reclaim my old Gerber Pro Guide from our camping kitchen gear.  I'll pick up an Opie to replace it for the time being. 

I really like some of the Condor bushcraft knives but no sense in spending money right now when I've already got something that will do the job.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #65 on: March 04, 2012, 10:55:04 PM
That makes perfect sense- having a knife that is designed for a specific purpose is fine.  Unless of course you are buying a bushcraft knife so in case you accidentally find yourself camping you'll be able to construct shelters and peel bark for fire starting without ever having done any of it before...  :pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: March 11, 2012, 03:08:19 PM
I was watching a marathon of " Dual Survival " with Cody and Dave, so my curiosity got the best of me.I got on amazon to see Cody's books and low and behold there was his Mora 2 for $ 8.10 ! I think i would be a little leary of going into the woods with an 8 dollar knife IMHO. :-\

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #67 on: March 11, 2012, 03:19:41 PM
Why not?  It's a tried and tested design that thousands of people use every year in the great outdoors. :tu:  These are great examples of the fact that cheap absolutely does not have to mean bad. :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #68 on: March 11, 2012, 03:25:25 PM
Yup- Mora is one of the great deals in the knife industry.  Much of the cost involved in knives is paying the engineers and designers to come up with new ways of making a blade/handle/lock seem new all the time.  For Mora the design has pretty well been unchanged for 1,000 or so years so there's no design costs, and manufacturing has been streamlined over so many years that it's also pretty negligible. 

As for new design cost, two guys in the factory arguing about putting a little more red dye in the plastic mix to create a new color doesn't cost much either.  :P

Def

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: March 11, 2012, 04:03:31 PM
I should have done some research before i said anything, its just that comparing other knives its just what i have found. Also , I am in the mindset of you get what you pay for. I am going to have to change my thinking. :twak:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #70 on: March 11, 2012, 04:23:56 PM
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:27:07 PM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #71 on: March 11, 2012, 05:12:01 PM
I used to be the same way about the Mora, first when I read Cody's book, and also when I would see all the praise for the knife from knife users (notice I said "users", not enthusiasts). I would think to myself "Why would I want a smurfy little knife in the woods?" I had bought into the "bigger is better", and "expensive must be better" fallacies throughout my life.

Two things changed my mind. First was that for all the knives that I had owned, I realized that all the time I had spent in the woods, the knife I used 99% of the time was an SAK. The second was when I finally bought a Mora, and held it in my hand, I came to understand that 1000 years of research and development in the hands of people who actually use a knife had produced a tool that while simplistic and inexpensive, nonetheless was one of the most usable knives I had ever owned.

It is something that is hard to explain until you have used one, there is almost a "Zen" quality to it, which is not totally surprising with the history it holds.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #72 on: March 11, 2012, 06:34:23 PM
I used to be the same way about the Mora, first when I read Cody's book, and also when I would see all the praise for the knife from knife users (notice I said "users", not enthusiasts). I would think to myself "Why would I want a smurfy little knife in the woods?" I had bought into the "bigger is better", and "expensive must be better" fallacies throughout my life.

Two things changed my mind. First was that for all the knives that I had owned, I realized that all the time I had spent in the woods, the knife I used 99% of the time was an SAK. The second was when I finally bought a Mora, and held it in my hand, I came to understand that 1000 years of research and development in the hands of people who actually use a knife had produced a tool that while simplistic and inexpensive, nonetheless was one of the most usable knives I had ever owned.

It is something that is hard to explain until you have used one, there is almost a "Zen" quality to it, which is not totally surprising with the history it holds.

+1 here. Mora's, SAK's ...... great values and excellent tools.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: March 11, 2012, 08:36:19 PM
I recently picked up the new clipper replacement the companion in SS and its a mazing value for money, i also have the old mora #1 and its a very nice nice, again highly recomended,  :tu:

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: March 11, 2012, 11:44:41 PM
OK , I am going to buy the book AND the knife. I will put it to the test.Its not the case where bigger is better but in my experience less expensive things are not as quality as higher priced items ie. rolex-timex,bmw-hyundai. Please do not take this as a snobish post. :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #75 on: March 12, 2012, 01:11:31 AM
For the most part I agree, but there are always exceptions to the rule.  In this case I believe that Moras and Opinels are great knives that are available at amazing prices.

Def

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: March 28, 2012, 06:05:34 AM
My best survival and all purpose knife:Blackbird SK-5 and amazing sheath! :)
http://blackbirdknives.com/

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:24:40 AM by Vadim »

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: March 28, 2012, 06:45:10 AM
My best survival and all purpose knife:Blackbird SK-5 and amazing sheath! :)
http://blackbirdknives.com/

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
Wow!  Those are both beauties!  Where'd you get the sheath?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #78 on: March 28, 2012, 08:03:25 AM
...and does it still look that new? :D  Very nice bit of kit BTW. :tu:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: March 28, 2012, 01:18:13 PM
...and does it still look that new? :D  Very nice bit of kit BTW. :tu:

Yep that's very nice Vladim  :drool:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #80 on: March 28, 2012, 03:29:12 PM
Very nice Vadim. :tu:
I was loving that handmade sheath until I saw that it was almost three times the price of the knife :ahhh

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: March 28, 2012, 05:58:48 PM
date=1332909910]

Wow!  Those are both beauties!  Where'd you get the sheath?

Thank you Heinz Doofenshmirtz !
The knife and sheath I got from the Hedgehog guys: http://www.hedgehogleatherworks.com/default.asp
Paul Scheiter Owner of Hedgehog Leatherworks design this knife and make a sheath for this knife.
The knife itself is so COMFORTABLE!The sheath is AMAZING LEATHERWORK!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:07:30 PM by Vadim »

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: March 28, 2012, 06:06:21 PM
I was loving that handmade sheath until I saw that it was almost three times the price of the knife :ahhh

Thank you turnsouth!
Yeah,you right :) the sheath is so expensive but it worth every penny.

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: March 28, 2012, 07:14:35 PM

Thank you turnsouth!
Ouch!  Just a bit out of my price range right now!

us Offline S.Gossman

Reply #84 on: March 28, 2012, 08:54:37 PM
I'm a fulltime knifemaker and make knives for the wilderness survival community, hunters and military. I think any knife, tool or folder can serve as a "survival" knife. Every survival situation is going to be different so to label a particular knife as a survival knife just doesn't work.
As far as camping, IMO, in the winter time the axe is king. I like to use big blades but it's more out of fun then necessity.
Scott

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: March 28, 2012, 10:39:20 PM

@ S.Gossman

:pok: Pictures of your knives please

:D

Thank you turnsouth!

:ahhh No one would be mad enough to spend more on a sheath than on the knife

:whistle:

:facepalm:
Everything’s adjustable

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #86 on: March 29, 2012, 04:34:56 PM
i was just about to start a topic on the issue of Sawbacks... but i think it best to just put it in here.

I blame the WWII pilot knifes. They actually work for metal, nails and random stuff you may need to deal with. The AK bayonets are also more of a early 'serrated edge' for rope and still cutting when 'blunt'

But somewhere along the line (i think it was Rambo) someone got the sawback as a woodsaw. I can honestly say i have never seen a woodsaw work properly ever. You can get them to work but exert way more effort than should be necessary for such a simple little thing.
 Mostly they are on the back of too thick knives and/or have really sucky lengths that are measure in mere inches.  Thats assuming the teeth are actually sharp and are (whats the word for it?) Offset??

A good example is this

WTF!? a curved saw? with a D-guard? "But, we've added another great feature in the sawback serrations which allows users to make extremely accurate cuts for survival shelter building and other meticulous chores"  :twak: :twak: :twak:

Has anyone here honestly used a sawback regularly with success??
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #87 on: March 29, 2012, 04:42:54 PM
I'm with you on the sawbacks.

A saw should be slender as to remove the minimum amount of material, and ideally the teeth should be "set" (or at least the tooth be wider than the blade behind to prevent binding. The handle should also be comfortable oriented that way (and not have a knuckle guard in the way  ::)

That said I have been tempted to try a gerber gator Jr with sawback ... just to see )

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #88 on: March 29, 2012, 06:30:58 PM
If it is good enough for CROCODILE DUNDEE!!!!! Who can argue??

....and some more knives, for fun that can all be used for survival and some probably have.

from chinese Bowie to sword Bayonet...
IMG_8676.JPG
* IMG_8676.JPG (Filesize: 339 KB)
IMG_8678.JPG
* IMG_8678.JPG (Filesize: 232.47 KB)
IMG_5038.JPG
* IMG_5038.JPG (Filesize: 114.2 KB)
IMG_0832.JPG
* IMG_0832.JPG (Filesize: 131.13 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #89 on: March 30, 2012, 01:53:28 AM
it should be noted that the idea of a sawback blade is nothing new, in the 19th they were common enough as issue to Engineers/Pioneers and were generally know as 'Pioneer's swords'.

can't say how well they worked though. :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%