Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Survival Knives

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Survival Knives
Reply #90 on: March 30, 2012, 02:58:15 AM
Just got caught up on this thread.

Yes, I owned a 'molecular steel survival knife' in the 80's. Mine was camo. Don't ask for picks, it's long gone. It taught me a lot... mostly what the word 'tang' means when applied to knives... that the stupid thing on the back does NOT work as a saw, that the wire saw breaks when you unfold it the first time, that you don't make folding portions of sheaths out of plastic that is prone to splitting... probably the best $10 lesson i was ever given, really.

Next: I like bleu cheese. I like gorgonzola most of that type, I think.

As for 'get what you paid for'... I am constantly on the lookout for exceptionally good gear at good prices. You find such deals in really strange places. If I were more into outdoor stuff, I'd have a Mora.

I almost hate to bring it up, but ever since seeing it, I've been wondering about folks' opinion of the Cold Steel Bushman. At about $20, one-piece construction... any thoughts? Yes, dammit, I admit it, I think it's cool that you can use it as a spear point!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #91 on: March 30, 2012, 03:27:10 AM
I have had several Bushmans (Bushmen?) and they are great knives for the money.  The reason I have gone through so many is that every time I get someone someone sees it and wants it and I lose it.

It's not A Chris Reeve Aviator, but it is a pretty nice knife for $20.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #92 on: March 30, 2012, 04:21:42 AM
I once read a Aitor Jungle king review where the author brought up the issue of hollow handles vs full tang, and he made a compelling point. According to him he had read/seen/witnessed (going from memory) a poor amazonian indian peform a whole lot of daily tasks with his one 'knife' the broken off shard of a nameless machete.

His point was that the knife was a tool to make other tools and you really should be using it in a manner that breaks anyway... and if you do break it in a survival situation you aren't exactly 'without a knife' as the indian proved.

I'm still a fan of full tang regardless but it is food for thought. I do have an aitor china clone and i have to say as a blade i am impressed. i use it as a digging impliment mostly for roots etc. I bought it mainly for the little skinner and the actual sheath.

I've also been wanting the bushman for the sole purpose of a spearhead, i have been convincing myself its the saner option to the boar spear since postage to australia is really expensive. The reality though is i'm years away from the oppotunity of hunting with a spear and if armageddon does occur i think i could realistically fashion something from local materials. Maybe i should stop spending money so i'm a better financial position to spend money  :rofl:

But for argument sake... which would be the better bushman blade profile for a spear and can anyone find actual evidence on the net of someone using one sucessfully? A bit like when people saying the magnifying glass on swiss army knife will give you fire... i have yet to achieve it on the thinnest tissue paper!
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #93 on: March 30, 2012, 04:56:48 AM
Envirosponsible's youtube video of the Bushman as a spear. One of the things that made me think this might be useful...

There are additional videos by the same guy where he uses it for batoning, etc.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:01:35 AM by Lynn LeFey »

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #94 on: March 30, 2012, 06:03:18 AM

i both hate yound love you for posting that youtube video... i need to learn how to embed videos on this forum
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #95 on: March 30, 2012, 06:30:00 AM
I'd love to help you with my technical wizardry in how to embed videos, but I just pasted the URL in between the hyperlink tabs, and it did the magic all on its own.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #96 on: March 30, 2012, 07:34:06 AM
I'd love to help you with my technical wizardry in how to embed videos, but I just pasted the URL in between the hyperlink tabs, and it did the magic all on its own.

Yes, for youtube videos, I too, found by accident that they seem to embed themselves automatically.

for non youtube videos i have not managed to work it out.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #97 on: March 30, 2012, 10:56:21 AM
I made a handle for a stick chopper which was smooth like the bushman
I found that your hand gets tired after a while as you have to grip it tighter to stop it twisting in your hand  :(
So I think that its really a spear that you can use as a knife...... or maybe it needs a good wrap around the handle? :pommel:
Everything’s adjustable

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #98 on: March 30, 2012, 05:34:27 PM

Yes, for youtube videos, I too, found by accident that they seem to embed themselves automatically.

for non youtube videos i have not managed to work it out.

You used to have to put in Youtube tags, but now you just paste the link and it gets embedded automatically.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #99 on: March 30, 2012, 09:00:25 PM
I found that your hand gets tired after a while as you have to grip it tighter to stop it twisting in your hand  :(
So I think that its really a spear that you can use as a knife...... or maybe it needs a good wrap around the handle? :pommel:

i have the bowie and standard version of the bushman and you need to use a light ring grip on it like with a khukhri. Nice light knife, but first task in a survival situation (or where extensive woodcraft is required) would be to fashion a wooden extension for the handl to move the weight forward. I dug holes with it for tarp stakes at the last meet, and a quick flick with a steel and it was good to go again. A nice light back up blade for when you don't expect to need a big blade but want to be prepared anyway or feel you need a spare. Used within it's limits and with knowledge of how to get the most out of it, you'll struggle to find a stronger and more capable knife for the weight penalty

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #100 on: March 30, 2012, 10:15:40 PM
but which one makes the better spear??
Staight blade or bowie???
- Terry Pratchett

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #101 on: March 30, 2012, 10:19:34 PM

i have the bowie and standard version of the bushman and you need to use a light ring grip on it like with a khukhri. Nice light knife, but first task in a survival situation (or where extensive woodcraft is required) would be to fashion a wooden extension for the handl to move the weight forward. I dug holes with it for tarp stakes at the last meet, and a quick flick with a steel and it was good to go again. A nice light back up blade for when you don't expect to need a big blade but want to be prepared anyway or feel you need a spare. Used within it's limits and with knowledge of how to get the most out of it, you'll struggle to find a stronger and more capable knife for the weight penalty

Al,
I'm not bashing it just because its Cold Steel I actually like quite a lot of their stuff IE their Kukri  :drool:
Its just that as I get older I want my tools to fit in my hand better, I just feel like its lacking something  :think:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #102 on: March 31, 2012, 01:16:22 AM

Al,
I'm not bashing it just because its Cold Steel I actually like quite a lot of their stuff IE their Kukri  :drool:
Its just that as I get older I want my tools to fit in my hand better, I just feel like its lacking something  :think:

totally agree mate, it is lacking something ... A wooden handle extension :-D

i wouldn't call them a primary knife for any situation, but as a backup I think it's a good choice. I reckon the standard blade would make the better spear

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #103 on: March 31, 2012, 09:08:00 AM
Blackbird SK-5 as a spear.  :)

A more information How to Choose the Perfect Survival Knife: http://artofmanliness.com/2011/11/29/how-to-choose-the-perfect-survival-knife/
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:14:14 AM by Vadim »

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #104 on: March 31, 2012, 10:59:15 AM

totally agree mate, it is lacking something ... A wooden handle extension :-D

:salute: :D
Everything’s adjustable

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #105 on: March 31, 2012, 03:20:17 PM
Blackbird SK-5 as a spear.  :)

(Image removed from quote.)

A more information How to Choose the Perfect Survival Knife: http://artofmanliness.com/2011/11/29/how-to-choose-the-perfect-survival-knife/

In general attaching a knife on the end of a stick as a spear is not really a good idea.
Because if you stick into an animal and said animal runs off into the wilderness with your spear, you have no knife. It also possible that you macho thrusting movements hit rock and other hard option... no good for edges or tips. much better to simply sharpen the stick so its nice and pointy, harden it in afire, use bone or scrap metal as an alternative. If it breaks after killing the animal so be it... make another one

Times when attaching a knife to a stick is a good idea
- cut folage and vines out of reach
- To harvest fruit/nuts/etc out of reach
- To steal honeycombs (saw david canterbury do that
- To finish off a 'trapped' critter, you may have successfully snared a pig/weasel/kangaroo/large-lizard but adding a bit of reach to your mercy kill is a good idea... even small animal wounds can turn septic and get infected (argubly a sharp stick would work here too...)

Having a dedicated knife only for spear work like the CS bushman is a different matter. That more of a dedicated spear head than a knife (Although for now i am going to be
stronga and save up for an actual  CS boar spear)

Today i went round neard the nature strip and fashioned a gaff/harpoon spear from bamboo with nothing but a CS shovel  :tu:
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: March 31, 2012, 07:51:36 PM

Because if you stick into an animal and said animal runs off into the wilderness with your spear, you have no knife.:tu:

Thats why I have two Blackbirds SK-5 knives   :tu: :D ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:56:55 PM by Vadim »

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: March 31, 2012, 08:40:58 PM
I find the Condor bushcraft knives very appealing.  While more expensive than a Mora, I like that they have thicker blades and come with a very nice leather sheath, and are available in several different sizes.  The Rodan and Varan are the two I like best. 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #108 on: March 31, 2012, 10:59:58 PM
I feel there are many great options out there for "Survival Knives" but I really like what Charles Karwan always said on the subgect myself..

I admit to having a Buckmaster..My Youngest decided after aquiring it during my "Paring Down of the Blades"he liked his Gerber BMF better..I have used it out and about and have found it to be rather sturdy..Would it be my first choice? I doubt it,but I beleive there are a few good Hollow Handled Knives available..

I believe and look at the hollow handle as holding a last ditch "OMG I have lost everything Except the Clothes on my Back and my Buckmaster Kit"...

Just my two cents
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #109 on: April 01, 2012, 12:39:23 AM
I wonder if Condor is like Tramotina. I don't own any tramotina simply because i found you can buy them cheaper internationally than locally in brazil. (At least in rio de janeiro, if you made a special trip into the city you may find it cheaper)
- Terry Pratchett

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #110 on: April 02, 2012, 07:31:29 PM
There are just so many variables , seasons , areas . Leaving electronics out of it for the moment ( not being a total fool I would use if available ) , something like a Spirit or a Farmer plus my GB hatchet would be my choice , if possible I would try to stash a redundant or two in my pack .

In an Urban scenario , a stout folder, and a SAK or multi would be my choice .

Just too many variables to make any hard and fast rules .

Chris

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #111 on: April 08, 2012, 02:35:35 AM
Of all the "survival" knives(fived blade) I've ecountered.  The best, for its price, is the Cold Steel Bushman series!! :tu:

Those things are CRAZY SHARPE!!!!!
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #112 on: April 08, 2012, 03:01:08 AM
I know a lot of folks don't like Cold Steel, and I know the Bushman is really not a premium model, but dollar for dollar I think you would be very hard pressed to come up with a better knife than the Bushman.

Def

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: April 08, 2012, 04:11:24 AM
I know a lot of folks don't like Cold Steel, and I know the Bushman is really not a premium model, but dollar for dollar I think you would be very hard pressed to come up with a better knife than the Bushman.

Def
It's worth every penny!! :tu:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #114 on: April 08, 2012, 05:19:06 AM
The bushman is tempered very soft so it wouldn't break when used as spear, CS does have a couple other models around the same price, though I don't know if they are any harder.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #115 on: April 08, 2012, 08:09:50 AM
The bushman is tempered very soft so it wouldn't break when used as spear, CS does have a couple other models around the same price, though I don't know if they are any harder.

Why would you need it harder? what task requires it to be so ridgid???  ???
- Terry Pratchett

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #116 on: April 08, 2012, 10:47:45 AM

Softer steels dull faster.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: April 08, 2012, 01:19:19 PM

Softer steels dull faster.

But easier to resharpen!!

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #118 on: April 08, 2012, 03:03:43 PM
A friend of mine who is heavily involved in Scouting purchased a few a ways back as utility knifes for Camp outs and Such..He has nothing but praise for them starting with cost!

Myself, I also look at my Estwing Hunter's Hatchet as a "Survival Knife"..I keep it hair shaving sharp and have found out with a bit of patience and care it will substitute nicely especially if paired with a decent SAK or Folder for the really detailed work..Just last week I peeled a bunch of Potatoes with the Estwing...It was not pretty but it got done
and I guess that is all that really matters if things have suddenly gone south

Dtrain

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #119 on: April 08, 2012, 04:27:09 PM
 :think: :think:

I guess thats why i'm in the machete camp in the axe-vs-machete armchair wars. Knife tasks are little more 'plausible'
i did had a rabbit trap setters hatchet when i was young that i found in the old shed of house we bought. Loved it. Sleek little blade profile, light and had a hammer/pry on the reverse. Wouldn't mind pimping one out if i found one for penuts.
Truth is though i much prefer my twelve inch 'Facão' (downsized from eighteen, sounds dirty doesn't it) The reality though is if i'm stuck somewhere i will more likely have my CS Shovel. Been quite happy with its capabilities
- Terry Pratchett

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD