Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Test material (safety glass, safety belts), or close equivalents, source?

mzil · 11 · 4090

um Offline mzil

Like many here, I buy, make, and test rescue tools. But the biggest problem is finding cheap test material to gauge their effectiveness. If a rescue tool slices through 550 paracord or cracks a glass beer/wine bottle, does that really prove what it can do in a real emergency with a real car window (a different kind of glass) or a car safety belt? I don't think so. Sure, it is better than nothing I guess, but has anyone here thought of a good, inexpensive source, maybe on the web,  for these two, needed test materials or good substitutes?

[I don't live near any junkyards that have any abandoned old cars, by the way.]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:14:45 AM by mzil »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
This is a question I had recently and I spoke to my good buddy (and forum Mod) Duncan about it, as he used to work in a glass factory.  Hopefully he won't mind me sharing the info he gave me in a PM.  If he does I'll send him a bottle of rum and he won't remember this in the morning...   :whistle:

Yes I did work in a glass factory .But we didn't do Auto Glass . Most cars have laminated windscreens which is two pieces of glass with a clear plastic sheet between them . It will crack and split but still stay in place and is what you see featured in the Victorinox video for the Rescue tool . Side and rear windows are made from toughened glass which is normal or "float" glass which is heated too around 700c then rapidly cooled with air being blown onto it . The temperature does change depending on the thickness .Normal float glass is the kind that smashes into large sharp pieces and can crack and run . Toughened is as its name suggests a lot tougher and also can be quite flexible , you would be surprised how much a 3 metre length can bend , this is the kind that when it breaks it bursts into tiny peices.Ive seen house bricks bounce off car side windows without breaking . What you need is a sharp point to impact in the corner where there isn't so much shock absorbed but You probably already know that .

If you wanted to do some tool tests and keep costs down I would say you could use 6.4mm laminated glass as a substitute for the windscreen and 4mm toughened glass for the side windows .

I have heard that newer vehicles are using laminated glass in the side windows but it will probably be around 8 years time before I actually own one to find out  :rofl:

What about going to a breakers yard and asking them about costs involved in popping a few windows .

Hope this helps 

There you go- you won't likely find a good substitute for a windshield, but it's possible you'll find a good substitute for side windows.  I'd suggest a building supply shop like Home Depot or a local glass contractor to see if you can find something suitable.  My plan was to then cut the glass (assuming I buy a relatively large sheet) into roughly 8x8 inch panels, or have the supplier do it for me.  If a glass breaker takes out an 8x8 inch panel cleanly I figure it's safe to assume that a slightly larger car window isn't likely to fare any better.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Oh yeah, and seatbelt material can be sourced at a lot of places.  Fabric stores usually have it, as do a lot of outdoors supply/outfitters shops, or you can buy it quite cheaply online.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

um Offline mzil

Some great leads there, Grant. Thanks!
Let us know how the 8x8 glass test squares work out. 

I think most of the "glass" I see at Home Depot is acrylic, but I'll check more closley next time I'm there.

I found this for belt material, as just an example. Not too pricey. I wonder if my local fabric stores (e.g. Jo Anne's) has it?:

http://www.strapworks.com/Polyester_Webbing_p/sbw2.htm

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
This is what I buy locally:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Climbing/SlingsWebbing/PRD~0407-049/web-source-248mm-seatbelt-webbing.jsp

I don't know if that helps any, but it should be easy to get from REI, Cabelas, Bass Pro LL Bean or any other place like that.

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
This is a question I had recently and I spoke to my good buddy (and forum Mod) Duncan about it, as he used to work in a glass factory.  Hopefully he won't mind me sharing the info he gave me in a PM.  If he does I'll send him a bottle of rum and he won't remember this in the morning...   :whistle:

Def

HHHmmmmmm RUM  :drool:  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
See what I mean?  :D

Def

us Offline bushidomosquito

If you're testing the glass breaker for auto glass then you want tempered glass to test on. It's much harder than plain float glass or anything you could cut. Tempered glass cannot be cut without shattering. All auto side windows are tempered and the front and rear windshields are laminated with plastic so they may break but you won't get through them without a serious saw.

I can't imagine a scenario where you'd want to go in or out through a windshield when a side window will put up much less of a fight. I've seen saws like on the Victorinox rescue tool for cutting through shattered laminated glass but I don't get it. I'd think a rescue crew would just bash a Halligan into it and pull the whole thing out. Maybe the best bet is to go to glass shops and ask around. They get orders for tempered sheets that people never pick up all the time and they sell them at huge discounts or may just them away to free up shop space. When you can bust a 1/2" tempered table top you know it can handle a side window. 
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
You can watch as you are driving for Tie Down Straps that have come loose from Flatbeds Ect...If your Tool will rip through some of them A Seatbelt in my Opinion would be no problems at all
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Yes and no- tie downs, especially once they have a few miles on them actually become quite rigid and that makes them easier to cut.  Seatbelts tend to be a lot softer and more flexible making them (sometimes) more resistant to cutting.

Def

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Yes and no- tie downs, especially once they have a few miles on them actually become quite rigid and that makes them easier to cut.  Seatbelts tend to be a lot softer and more flexible making them (sometimes) more resistant to cutting.

Def

I'll give ya that one...now and again I have had to slice through a few brand new ones..So far my Rescuetool has done well..My Rajah II/III,and Spartan hace done really well..I will give the overall Safety Factor to the Vic especially if one is cutting someone else out...
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD