Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

*****Stamp Collectors Thread / Stamp Picture Thread*****

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Does anyone in here ever collect stamps? You might be a past collector, or you may have a very active and recent collection? I would like to hear from you, and possibly to post a few photographs of stamps or collections that you may have.

Well here are a few very brief collection photos of my defunct International stamp collection. My mother started me off very young. I was around 7 years old when she got me interested in International stamps, thinking it was a great way to expand my education about the world. Little did she know that soon, she got the stamp collecting bug, and for many years right up to the late 80s or early 90s, we both collected together.

Some of you probably think I am a sentimental fool, and if so, this thread won't dissuade you of that thought. Some of my fondest moments with my mother were centered around our stamp collecting hobby. It was something we both had in common. Regardless, this stamp collection was important in my early formative years, and I strongly suspect it played an impotent part in my subsequent interest in Geography. What i can say with any certainty, stamps are beautiful windows into a country's culture. One can learn so much about other countries based on what they publish stamp wise, that it is truly one of the great educational activities you can do with your children. So much history and art are wrapped up into each stamp.

Well...I inherited my mother's huge stamp collection. I may not collect anymore, but I haven't given or sold any of it away either. I guess it is that sentimental part that comes into it. As for my father, he actively encouraged our collecting. He always strongly regretted giving away his stamp collection to a girlfriend. The stamp collection morphed into coins for a while, and eventually, I stopped collecting both when I moved over into Canada First Day Covers, which I still collect to this day.

The following photos are just random shots taken this morning of my one International stamp album. I have a nice assortment of old and well...up to the late 80s stamps in here. A little bit of everything for everyone sort of collection.

This is my oldest UK stamp...the brown, along with a few old stamps in blues.

As a child, I was fascinated by this overly vast and seemingly endless collection. 

I don't have many from Ireland, but the ones I do have are very neat design wise.

A few stamps from Hong Kong when it was a British colony.

Some of my older Italian stamps.

A colourful series from Malaysia. I think I may have them all. I remember getting these way back and thinking these were very striking and beautiful.

A few old stamps from Norway.

My oldest Philippines stamp. Not sure if the date on the stamp indicates its age or not. What I do know is that the image for it was at the top of the country page...which usually means its older that those below it.

A full stamp series shaped like Africa from Sierra Leon.

When I was young I knew of the horrors of WW2 from the tellings of my Great Uncles and Grand Parents. It was a rare event when I came across German stamps from that era.  I understand owning such stamps depicting Hitler may be illegal in Germany...but I am unsure.

The United States is our southern neighbour. Because of this, I really did hunt for American stamps.

This I think might be my oldest American stamp in my binder.

Some of the other older American stamps in my collection.

Here  is a full page of American stamps dating to the 20s or 30s, I think. Whenever it cost you 3 cents to mail a letter.

So there you have it. Let's see if there are more philatelist than numismatist out there.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:54:53 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Re: *****Stamp Collectors Thread / Stamp Picture Thread*****
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 02:20:06 PM
i have loads dad got me interested, still got them all but not collecting now.

have an old penny red somewhere as well as aload of first day covers
I

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 03:08:13 PM
Yeah, I gave up the stamp and coin collection for FDCs. I have always loved history, and with FDCs, you get a lot of it packed with each stamp.

Here are a few pictures of my Canada collection.

Here is my oldest Canadian stamp. I think I may have a few older ones with my mother's collection.

A few other older ones...

Standard WW2 Canadian stamps.

Now for something very different and rare...Government stamps from Canada.

Newfoundland joined Canada in 1949. Before that, they had their own postage stamps. After they joined Confederation, they used Canadian stamps.

Some mint Newfoundland stamp blocks.

A few more Newfoundland stamps.

And for something really hard to get here in Northern Ontario. Something really local for Def.

"Located west of Halifax, Nova Scotia, in Mahone Bay, Kaulbach Island served as a rustic vacation spot for holiday seekers. From 1971 to 1984, local postal labels were issued by the Kaulbach Island Local Carriage Service on mail that was transported to and from the island to the mainland. Canada Post approved the service provided that the local stamps were affixed to the back of envelopes, which had Canadian postage stamps on the front for entry into the Canadian postal system."

http://www.rpsc.org/Library/kaulbach/intro.html

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:43:08 AM
Great collection you have there. I'm sure it's only a fraction of what you have, but im glad to see some of them. I was never really into collecting stamps. My grandma gave me some older stamps years back that she found in a envelope in her garage. This thread makes me wan't to dig em up. Alright i'm off to try and find them. I will definitely post pictures if I can find them.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:27:12 PM
I hope you find them.  :salute:

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 02:37:33 PM
I'm in the middle of putting 1000's of stamps on ebay .

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%