Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help - need storage solutions

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Help - need storage solutions
Reply #30 on: May 07, 2011, 03:35:36 PM
I got a couple of new additions to my collection and had to rearange my EDC drawer a bit. I used 3 of the kitchen spoon, fork, ... organizers for that, they are stackable so it saves me some space and keeps things neat. The skeletool is cliped to the drawer handle as it is my go to tool for a quick cut or grab.

I'm planing to make a display case/ drawer this summer, but till then this will have to do.

Name 30 tools/flashlights in the drawer and win a cookie. :pok: :pok: :D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:37:35 PM by enki_ck »

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 07, 2011, 04:14:16 PM
Wow some very nice storage solutions.   :salute:  That's certainly a project I'm going to have to tackle one day if I don't liquidate some knives.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #32 on: May 08, 2011, 02:58:05 AM
I store all my knives in their boxes if they have them.  I use a Rubbermaid container....handy...and wife-approved.   Downside, I can't display them.

I did buy all 4 Case (made in USA) Auburn Univeristy Football 2010 National Championship knives while home in Alabama (and a day before the tornado outbreak I might add).  3 are same serial number, 1 is a higher serial number (the dealer who got them matched as best he could with what Case sent him), and those will be displayed....wife approved.

BTW: I did visit Smokey Mountain Knife Works on the way back to North Carolina from Alabama....guess what: I only bought 1 pair of pants and 2 pairs of shorts by 511.  I had 15 minutes before closing, and I just didn't see anything SAK related I needed to buy.....amazing!!!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 02:59:55 AM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 02:32:34 AM
OK, so when I posted this originally I had about 350 knives, mostly 84/91mm. My solution holds up to 690 total, so at first there were several empty drawers. In one of the empties I threw my small collection of older 58mm knives.

A little reorg this weekend and now there are no more empty drawers. So I'm looking for something for the 58mm stuff. As small as possible, for a modest collection of 20-30 knives. Any one have anything clever?

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 03:59:52 AM
The Container Store has a clear plastic tray with 24 2"x2" spaces that's ideal for storing 58mm knives.

IMG_1169.JPG
* IMG_1169.JPG (Filesize: 114.01 KB)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 04:02:07 AM
They also offer another plastic tray that works great for either Wenger 65mm or the various 84mm-85mm knives such as Pocket Pals.

I store all my collection in various plastic trays, stacked 5-6 deep on heavy steel shelves from Home Depot. At one time I was looking at steel flat files of the type used to store maps and blueprints. However they're heavy and expensive. The trays give me more flexibility, and make it easier to move the collection, something I had to do last year.

Karl

IMG_1171.jpg
* IMG_1171.jpg (Filesize: 138.63 KB)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:06:21 AM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 04:28:53 AM
I have always displayed in my glass display cabinet but have recently switched over to the united cutlery knife cases. Working well so far.  :tu: I still open cases and display in cabinet but now if I wanna pick them up to show off I just zip closed and go on my way.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 09:20:07 AM
OK, so when I posted this originally I had about 350 knives, mostly 84/91mm. My solution holds up to 690 total, so at first there were several empty drawers. In one of the empties I threw my small collection of older 58mm knives.

A little reorg this weekend and now there are no more empty drawers. So I'm looking for something for the 58mm stuff. As small as possible, for a modest collection of 20-30 knives. Any one have anything clever?

How about this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/220967039208
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 03:29:08 PM
Walmart, The most expensive was $7.99.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 08:45:53 PM
My DIY solution.

Boxes and styrofoam.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 09:09:39 PM
Oh I like that idea!  I couldn't use Styrofoam though, the squeak of it would drive me nuts.  But I like how it's a nice custom fit, plus DIY rules.  :tu:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 09:27:17 PM
My DIY solution.

Boxes and styrofoam.

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
Cool!  :tu: It might be too much of a fuss but you could also line the Styrofoam with felt or another material. That would cut down on bits of Styrofoam coming out and upgrade the appearance. Another idea would be just paint the surface to get a different look.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #42 on: March 04, 2012, 09:37:51 PM
I guess you could always go for some pick and pluck foam which is pre-diced in sheaths of varying measurements. All you need to do is pluck the cavities out to suit your needs.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: March 04, 2012, 10:00:47 PM
I guess you could always go for some pick and pluck foam which is pre-diced in sheaths of varying measurements. All you need to do is pluck the cavities out to suit your needs.

I wish I could get my hands on some pluck foam, or even regular foam that would be sturdy enough to be cut to shape but can't seem to find any locally. :/ I searched for it for a long time, hardware stores, scrapyards, ... nothing. That's why I decided on this.

@stressmaster5000

I've been using this since November. The top layer of the small box tore at the two outside edges of the Wenger SI, but the rest is holding up great. I used a thin hardboard under the top layer so it can support the weight of the tools and paracord for the pull up handles. I was thinking of clear coating it so it doesn't crumble but haven't gotten around to it yet. The felt would look great but I hardly get half of my projects finished as is, let alone pretty up the old ones. :D I have a Skeletool and blowtorch project waiting for me since Christmas :ahhh
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:04:40 PM by enki_ck »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD