Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Slim pouch or sheath for Farmer and Compact

Offline travisbicks

• New User
Slim pouch or sheath for Farmer and Compact
on: March 05, 2012, 11:06:39 PM
I’m looking for the smallest pouch/pouches possible to fit my Farmer and my Compact. I currently have the Victorinox 2-4 layer nylon pouch but find it much larger than necessary for both these knives.

I’ve noticed that there s a 2-3 layer Victorinox nylon pouch, but I suspect it’s designed for 111mm knives and will be much too big.

What would people here recommend?

I’m guessing most people would simply carry these knives in their pocket but I dislike the lint that tends to build up when I do this.

Thanks

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Slim pouch or sheath for Farmer and Compact
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:08:38 AM
The slimmest carry option I can think of is a small pouch in your pocket. Years ago I bought a few SAK pouches from Rotokid. It was basically a bag of some sort of thin nylon material, with a string closure. The outside is some kind of velour thingie, so it tends to shift very little in the pocket, i.e. the knife stays upright without a belt hanger. So, that's my best suggestion for slim carry without pocket lint, find a pouch just big enough for the knife that you can drop it in your pocket. That kind of stuff tend to be found all sorts of places having nothing to do with knives... General hobby stores, for instance.

As I mentioned belt hangers, since the knife no longer lies in the bottom of the pocket when using a belt hanger, they do help against lint in the knife.

Also, I think the http://www.victorinox.com/ch/product//Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Accessories/Pouches-for-Multi-Tools/Belt-Pouch/4.0531 style pouches are slightly slimmer than this style http://www.victorinox.com/ch/product//Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Accessories/Pouches-for-Multi-Tools/Belt-Pouch/4.0520.3 . I have both, but if I'm correct, the difference is pretty minimal.

Now, if you're willing to go full OCD, just get rid of the pocket lint every time after you've done laundry. Roll a length of lint remover "tape" (I'm thinking of this stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lint_remover ) into a ball, put in the pocket, move it around, repeat till the ball no longer catches lint. This is borderline OCD stuff, but it really is effective in slowing down the buildup of lint in the knife. Though, if you do it after putting on the pants, do it in private if you want to avoid unwanted questions.  :D

To get what you really asked for, I suspect getting something custom made is the best route.

No real answer to your original question, just my own experiences with the same problem. My drawers are slowly filling with different kinds of sheaths and pouches. ;)

- Steinar

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 02:00:48 AM
I have been thinking about the small Ipod socks to protect my SAKs while in my pocket.They are all over Ebay cheap.

de Offline Dr. Bahn

Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 12:17:10 PM
I carry my Pioneer in a Fallkniven sheath together with a fine ceramic rod inside a straw:

Fits perfectly!   :)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 06:18:21 PM
I use a cheap phone "bag" or a GEC knife sleeve.

Also protects the knife if you drop it out of your pocket.

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline travisbicks

• New User
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 04:32:52 PM
This is borderline OCD stuff.
- OCD on this forum, surely not! ;)

Thanks for all the ideas guys :)

us Offline Donald

Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 11:45:37 PM
Did you get any pouches yet?

I like the idea of the ceramic rod in the straw, presumably to keep it from abrading things. With my luck I would pick it up and the rod would slide out onto the floor and break. I suppose the action of gripping the straw would tend to hold the rod in place. Have you had any trouble with it slipping?

Offline travisbicks

• New User
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 02:45:41 PM
No, no pouches as yet.

At the moment I carry the Compact in my bag inside a zipped wallet but, if I started to carry in my pocket, I think I'd opt for the sock idea. As for the Farmer, I only carry that when I'm camping and I think I'll just rely on the rugged alox scales and carry it naked as it were.

Thanks

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 06:40:48 PM
Amici,
I prefer leather for all my belt carry needs, please remember if you don't see something that interests you out there, you can always have something custom made to your specs. It may be a tad $$ but it would be not only yours, but also made form fitted for your individual knife.

Cheers,
Serge 
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Donald

Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 10:24:38 PM
I had my Cadet II Plus a/k/a micro Farmer in my pocket and I do not worry about any of my silver user scales too much, but had it in a leather pouch from JRE Industries. I was using it a lot and just dropped it inside the pocket. Further, at one point it was wet so I wanted it to dry out. It made noise rubbing against the either the Leatherman Style PS that was on my keychain or some other hard object on the keychain. I tried using the case or pouch as a separator, which worked OK until I later put it back in the pouch.

Red alox is more prone to wear, but then has a pocketworn beauty all its own.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%