Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ZebraLight First Impressions

Offline Travis Autry

on: March 02, 2012, 11:32:20 PM
I received my package from ZebraLight today.  Customer service had promised to ship to me this week.  I am pleased to report they were as good as their word.

For my initial "check them out" order, I chose an H51 AA headlamp and an SC51 AA pocket light.  Both came in impressively small boxes that belied the quantity of items inside.  The H51 came with a headlamp harness, spare headlamp attachment and spare "O" rings.  The SC51 came with the standard headlamp harness and "O" rings.  Both included a detailed sheet of instructions and a sheet with battery information.

The unibody design which is milled out of a solid piece of aluminum gives both lights a solid, but lightweight feel.  The fit and finish are excellent.  The pocket clips are stout but not overly so.  The H51 pocket clip can be snapped off for attaching to the headlamp harness.  The SC51 clip is attached with two Phillips head screws.

Since both oth lights came with headlamp harnesses, I had to give them a try.  Putting the SC51 on it's harness worked fairly well.  Naturally being designed as a headlamp, the H51 worked better.  I popped off the pocket clip and slid the light into the rubber holder.  Both harnesses fit comfortably on my head without any adjustment.  They each sat above my glasses and did not produce any noticeable glare.

In headlamp mode, my favorite is the H51.  Working here in the house I found easy to access the on/off switch and to adjust the light angle.  Changing the angle is as simple as turning the body of the light in the holder to point the beam where needed,

Another bonus of the H51 is that in pocket light mode with the clip attached it is a right-angle light.  It can be set on end for a work light or laid down and angled up.  I could also see it being clipped to a shirt or jacket front for a hands free light.

The SC51 is a straight up pocket flashlight.  It fits well in my jeans pocket and would ride equally well in a jacket pocket.  Instead of the headlamp harness, I would like to see this light come with a belt sheath.  I have been EDC'ing an Photon Proton in its belt sheath and I like that arrangement.

Essentially the H51 and SC51 are the same light, just set up a little differently.  While both are supposed to be 200 lumen lights.  I don't have a way to measure that.  In my totally non-scientific observation, I found both to be very bright little lights.  I loaded both lights with recommended fresh Energizer Lithium batteries.  when comparing the two lights on the "High" setting it appears that the H51 is a little brighter.  Other than that, both appear to be perfectly serviceable and the medium and low settings are handy for close up work.

I did notice that the H51 began to get rather warm after a few minutes of continuous use.  The SC51 also warmed up, but not as quickly as the H51.  Neither came close to burning hot, but I did notice some heat.  Similarly, my Photon Proton Pro gets pretty hot after a minute or so of continuous use, but not unbearably so.

Over the next few days I will work with both lights to get a better feel for them.  Never having used a headlamp very much, I am looking forward to using the H51.  My first impressions of the SC51 are that I've got a new EDC light.

us Offline BlueDot

Re: ZebraLight First Impressions
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 03:43:42 AM

Great writeup.  I have the H51, and feel it doesn't have the throw for EDC, but as a headlamp or R/A light for closeup work, it's hard to beat.

dc
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 03:52:00 AM
That H51 sounds interesting , we bought 4 cheap & a little bit horrible headlights for when we go camping , I might have to have a look at these Zebra's when funds permit  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 04:13:08 AM
I took the H51, SC51 and Photon Proton out for a walk tonight.  I used the H51 in headlamp mode.  The SC51 and Photon Proton were used in the hand.

The H51 on high was great for walking out to the compost pile and surveying the woods behind the house.  I spotted a squirrel running about 30 yards away.  It didn't illuminate like daylight, but it was sufficient that I could make out the size and movement of the animal.  Even on "Medium" the H51 was more than sufficient for walking.

The SC51 was not quite as bright on "High" and didn't have quite as much throw.  On "Medium" it was fair for walking back to the house, but to see any distance I really needed to use the "High" setting.  Both the SC51 and H51 have a fairly wide beam with good balance between throw and spill.

By contrast, the Photon has a very defined center throw area with much less spill.  The beam is much narrower.

For my EDC needs, I think any of the three will work fine.  Both the ZebraLights seem more solid than the Photon and with the addition of the headlamp harness are more versatile.  I'll give both the Zebras a few days of EDC duty and see which works best.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 11:58:05 PM
Here is a simple mod you can do to the headband to make them much more comfortable.

This is my H51w.

Sorry for the crappy pic, but hopefully the way I've routed the headband through the bracket should be clear.

This holds the light in place in the bracket more securely, preventing unwanted movement of the light.  It also puts the ends of the bracket on the outside of the headband, so they don't dig into your forehead giving you those two little dimples.  I find this to be much more comfy than the stock routing method.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:59:58 PM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 04:12:26 AM
Nice suggestion.  I might try that if I begin using the headlamp a great deal or for an extended period.

Having never used a headlamp before, I'm finding that I like this one a great deal.  The H51 was on the desk when we came in from town this evening.  I grabbed it to use while unloading the car and walking out to the mailbox.  The medium setting was perfect for both tasks and did not build up any noticeable heat.

I carried the SC51 in my jeans pocket while in town.  It rode very well, although, I didn't need it until I got home while unlocking the door.  I carry my wallet in my right front pocket and the SC51 fit neatly down beside it.  My preferred pocket clip position was taken up by my DPx HEST 2.0.

With the HEST, SC51 and my SwissTool, I was well prepared for the wilds of BJ's Wholesale Club and Petsmart.  Of course, had things become hairy I had my MTO edition Leatherman Style CS on my keyring.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:27:44 AM
I had taken a H30-Q5 through military service. Headlamp mode didn't quite do it for me, but I loved having it clipped on my vest or jacket. It's more of a flood-type  light than a thrower, which was great for its intended use. The GITD buttong was also a nice addition. Something not on the manual is that you can unscrew the cap a bit and that works as a sort-of cut-off for the light, as the clicky on the top is somewhat easy to turn on by accident. It had failed me once, when I was operating it in high for like 15' -- overheating or a battery fluke I guessed, as it went on working on and off on low and medium for over a week after that.

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 10:44:28 PM
The medium setting was perfect for both tasks and did not build up any noticeable heat.
My H51w only builds up any noticeable heat on L1 or L2.  I've used it on high for 30 - 40 min. at a time in the past, and it did get noticeably warm, but never so hot you couldn't touch it.  Of course, that means it's doing its job... ZL's design is made to facilitate heat sinking so the body of the light is supposed to get warm, and when it does, that means its doing its job. 

I had an SC50w+ that was my go-to pocket light for more than a year, but I recently traded it for a SAK mod.  I've got an SC80c or and SC51c on my wish list now to replace it.  Only reason I haven't is because I've been using my new HCRI Quark 123 on an AA body with a deep carry clip as my current EDC, and I really love the warm tint of the emitter.  I do still prefer the ZL UI and form factor though.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 12:12:49 AM
While only having the ZebraLights for two days, they have begun to grow on me.  The H51 and SC51 that I ordered as check out lights show a great deal of promise.  Over the next few weeks I expect to add a couple of pieces to The Multitool.org Store.  I will also be open to working with members on specific requests.

Keep watch at EDCSource.com for new items and feel free to send requests via PM.  I will reply to requests ASAP.

I think Multitool.org and ZebraLight can have a bright future together! :multi:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 01:01:02 AM
Good to hear the results are positive Travis!  It makes me feel more confident about ordering one... when I get around to it...   ::)

Glad to hear that you tested it against the Photon Proton as well- it's my current and favorite EDC light.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 07:16:19 PM
I guess if I want to use an H51, I'll have to buy another.  My son has taken a shine to the one I have at home.  He shows promise, he likes bright lights, pointy things and multitools.  Even without the light being on, Ian likes wearing it.

Besides looking like he has begun being assimilated by the Borg, he looks pretty debonair.  Heck, if I get another we may start a father/son fashion trend!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 07:47:56 PM
I'm very impressed with my Zebralight H31F.  It's become my "Goto" light except when I need a search light.  Just a great, solid piece of kit.

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 08:35:07 PM
Yay! I'll be putting an order in for an H51 on friday can't wait!

Stay multi my friends

Offline Tedmanshoo

Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 09:19:56 PM
I have a Zebralight SC600, and I find it ticks all the boxes for me! A perfect size with power if needed and low light for when my wife feeds the baby!

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 10:34:47 AM
I have a Zebralight SC600, and I find it ticks all the boxes for me! A perfect size with power if needed and low light for when my wife feeds the baby!
That's the truly amazing thing about the SC600... that it can go from the turbo output of 750 lumens to the moonlight mode of .1 lumens in the blink of an eye!  And, that it has the level of battery efficiency that it does is just icing on the cake!  I'm beginning to wonder if they hired Harry Potter to make the drivers for their lights!  They really are the best EDC lights on the market right now IMHO.

ca Offline gunga

Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 12:09:33 PM
Make sure you get the warm/neutral versions!  Much more pleasant outside.

REally want an SC600w!

:gimme:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 12:21:18 PM
this is usefull..
feotcolortemperature.jpg
* feotcolortemperature.jpg (Filesize: 28.54 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 12:55:38 AM
I guess if I want to use an H51, I'll have to buy another.  My son has taken a shine to the one I have at home.  He shows promise, he likes bright lights, pointy things and multitools.  Even without the light being on, Ian likes wearing it.

Besides looking like he has begun being assimilated by the Borg, he looks pretty debonair.  Heck, if I get another we may start a father/son fashion trend!

I remember stealing my father's gadgets if he had something I liked!  Good to see it's universal!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%