Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Would you carry one of these?

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Would you carry one of these?
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 10:03:43 AM
I remember this campaign and considered it, these look better quality than other card based tools I’ve seen

I’ve tried other card tools and ended back with SAKs and PBMTs but think they’d be good when you can’t carry one for whatever reason

:cheers:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 10:29:33 AM
That would be a no for me. Even if it was free.

se Offline RF52

Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 11:28:12 AM
I can see the idea behind it, but it's not something I would carry and use. Way to uncomfortable in use even with the extra handle thingy.

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 12:06:43 PM
    I still have a TechTool or whatever they are called.  I can't work up enough enthusiasm to even look for it.  It came from Brookstone and was a gift.  I remember seeing something quite similar at Dollar Tree.  I didn't spend the buck to own one.  Best wishes.  Gary

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2023, 01:34:26 PM

us Offline DIAMOND

• Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2023, 03:27:46 PM
I could throw all my other multi tools away and just carry this.

But in all seriousness...

60 tools in 1
Here is a list of all 31 functions from their website...  ::)

PSX_20230826_082459.jpg
* PSX_20230826_082459.jpg (Filesize: 94.2 KB)
MTs: Gerber Dime, Gerber Suspension NXT, PLeatherman Wave, Misc China Cheapos

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2023, 07:53:08 PM
No thanks but no.

For example, if that edge was as sharp as it appears it would shred my wallet up in notime... or my hand when using the other tools  :D

And be careful with metal shavings in your opened food can. And...   :ahhh

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: August 26, 2023, 08:04:53 PM
Sweet Jesus. No!  :facepalm:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 27, 2023, 04:55:15 AM
I would not carry one.

I agree with the comments that it appears to be better quality than many similar offerings.  440C is a solid choice, assuming proper heat  treatment.

But I have some concerns…

Part of the point of a credit card tool is that it fits in your wallet.  But if this tool is sharp enough to be useful as a knife, it will need a separate sheath, and with a separate sheath it won’t fit well in a wallet.  And if it isn’t sharp enough to need a separate sheath, it isn’t sharp enough to be useful as a knife.

Some of these functions seem more gimmicky than useful, even assuming that they work as advertised.  Examples include drawing aid and sundial.

Perhaps I shouldn’t knock it without trying it, but I have strong suspicions that some of the functions won’t be able to be used effectively in the field.  Examples include hatchet and shovel.

The tools I actually carry in my wallet today are a PWII and a Vic Alox Bantam.  I’ll submit that, for functions that are actually useful in real life and that the tool is really capable of performing, my little in-wallet combo will beat this (or any) one-piece card tool.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #10 on: August 27, 2023, 06:48:24 AM
I actually have one somewhere. 

I had purchased it at a time when I was trying and experimenting with different card and keychain tools.

Would I ever use this as a primary tool?  No way!

But with that being said, it is actually the best card shaped one-piece tool I have tried.  It is not very comfortable to use and is not the best tool for the job.  But it will actually work to perform various functions, which is more than can be said about many of its competitors.

Despite the sharpened edge, I have gotten away with carrying it a couple times in places where most other tools would be prohibited or frowned upon. 

So my verdict is that it isn’t going to replace my normal edc, but it is better than nothing if that is all you have. 

us Offline Sos24

Reply #11 on: August 27, 2023, 07:12:03 AM
Part of the point of a credit card tool is that it fits in your wallet.  But if this tool is sharp enough to be useful as a knife, it will need a separate sheath, and with a separate sheath it won’t fit well in a wallet.  And if it isn’t sharp enough to need a separate sheath, it isn’t sharp enough to be useful as a knife.
It comes with a thin sheath that covers two edges.  With the sheath, it probably won’t fit in many credit card slots, but will fit in some if designed to carry bills folded in half or the bill area of a billfold.  The knife edge from factory was what I would consider dull.  It will cut somethings but not easily or well.  It can be sharpened to “usable”, but because of the thickness of the tool and shortness of the bevel you’re most likely not going to achieve an edge equivalent to a good knife.

And agree some of the functions aren’t things that are going to be “needed” in everyday or even emergency, but if done correctly do at least work as advertised.  I have experimented with the range finder and sundial and they at least achieved ballpark.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #12 on: August 28, 2023, 05:41:23 AM
60 tools in 1
Here is a list of all 31 functions from their website...  ::)
That was the same question I had. They have a little 'splainin' to do there.

Would I carry that thing? Probably not. To cram even 31 functions into a tool of that size, some compromises have to me made. Seems to me that some of them were not done all that well. But I am a collector of OPTs, so I'd take one to put in the collection. Just spare me the handle thing@
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2023, 01:37:07 PM

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2023, 03:30:01 PM
The down side of people knowing you like SAKs, MTs, and gadgets is that friends and family buy them as gifts.  Hence, I have a couple of these.  I never carry them, but they do fit in an Altoids tin along with all the other micro things that probably won't save my life.

us Offline algernonramone

Reply #15 on: August 29, 2023, 08:02:22 PM
I wouldn't carry it as a primary tool, but I have to admit I've thought about getting one to try it out and play around with it. It does appear to be rather high-quality as such things go, and the detachable handle gets my ridiculous-gadget sense tingling.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #16 on: August 29, 2023, 08:08:35 PM
This is something I might stash away in a PSK or similar, but I wouldn't carry one.
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD