Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The History of Multitool.org

Offline glkdc58

Re: The History of Multitool.org
Reply #30 on: March 10, 2012, 06:31:17 AM
Grant,

For historical reasons it's great that you wrote, in detail, the MTO story, not only for us members but also for yourself.  I'm sure getting it all down on paper, so to speak, gives you a nice, settled, feeling - "ahhh".  Thanks for all you've done to create this fabulous source of information and community.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: March 10, 2012, 09:40:31 AM
I just walked from a long 12hr night shift and thought right lets check this out  :o but then saw how long it was   :ahhh   :ahhh  i think ill check this out sunday evening and then ill take it all in, thanks for posting Def, it would of taken me a week to write all that  :D   :salute:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #32 on: March 10, 2012, 09:57:37 AM
Glad to have been able to help out bring MTO kicking and screaming into the future, hopefully we can keep the trend going and the site(s) will continue to grow and flourish into something truly fantastic. It would be nice to get to some point where "the empire" allows us to all have a proper meet in Vegas during Shot or something similar...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 12:27:43 PM
Great read Def  :tu:

Thanks to you and all the early crew who had the balls to get this place going  :salute:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 12:44:31 PM
For Chapter 2, "The MTO empire strikes back", it will be nice to know how the "newer" moderators came aboard!   :think:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 01:23:16 PM
For Chapter 2, "The MTO empire strikes back", it will be nice to know how the "newer" moderators came aboard!   :think:

Chapter 3" The Multitool Manifesto"
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 01:38:12 PM
Hats off to everyone who have ever participate on these forums (except for you useless spammers...well...maybe a little as you folks tend to provide the general membership a golden opportunity for some comedic relief at your expense :) ). This is a special place on the internet. The respect, civility, and common good vibes that emanate from multitool.org is a credit to everyone. Not just to the early pioneers, but also to those who have come afterwards.  :cheers:  :salute: 

Def, yes, please continue your history if you will. It was a great read. It filled in some of the back history that I didn't know.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #37 on: March 10, 2012, 01:48:51 PM
That was a good read Grant thanks!

The only comment I have is regarding the MTO logo.  Id seen the logo on something before, probably after googling a review of a tool before I joined up on the site.. anyway..  I was trying to type in the url from what the logo was, and I thought it was saying iMultiTool.org... that first icon looked like an i to me.  See what damn apple has done!  Than later i realized thats not an i, but a screwdriver bit tip.. thought that for a few months.. then I looked closer and realized its actually an MT icon! lol.  Maybe I'm slow, but that's the only con I can think of of the logo, but maybe most people aren't as slow as me sometimes and pay more attention.  :D :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #38 on: March 10, 2012, 01:55:51 PM
sweet read Def.  :tu:
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: March 10, 2012, 02:37:07 PM
Except for the crap about that Bob fellow being a "nice guy" ::) that was a pretty good read Grant! Thanks! :cheers:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: March 10, 2012, 03:21:18 PM
Thanks Grant, I am proud to call myself a member of the greatest site on the planet!!!! :salute:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Re: The History of Multitool.org
Reply #41 on: March 10, 2012, 04:46:03 PM
Except for the crap about that Bob fellow being a "nice guy" ::) that was a pretty good read Grant! Thanks! :cheers:

Well now that I know your "special" finger is out of commission I suppose it's safe to say what I really think! :P

I don't think there will be a part two or three any time soon.  I have a lot of funny stories both in the open and behind the scenes but those are better told around a campfire or a pitcher of some awful beverage! 

What really scares the living crap out of me is how close we came to losing everything a few months ago when the jackasses at Serverloft were threatening to delete our server when the server was hacked.  Since the backups were also stored with them absolutely everything would have been lost and I doubt I would have had it in me to even try to rebuild.  I have over seven years of my life in these sites and it would have been heartbreaking to see it all disappear because of extremely poor customer service and some stupid malicious hacker.

But, we learn from our mistakes and the backups are now stored independently of the server just in case.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Re: The History of Multitool.org
Reply #42 on: March 10, 2012, 04:51:17 PM

What really scares the living crap out of me is how close we came to losing everything a few months ago when the jackasses at Serverloft were threatening to delete our server when the server was hacked.  Since the backups were also stored with them absolutely everything would have been lost and I doubt I would have had it in me to even try to rebuild.

OMG that is scary, no wonder you dumped them as a host.  Please tell me someone somewhere is doing routine offsite backups now?
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: March 10, 2012, 05:01:45 PM
You bet they are.  I am a "smurf happens, pick yourself and dust yourself off and keep going" type of person, but I'm not sure I could lose everything and rebuild from scratch.  Nowadays everything is backed up in a couple of different locations just to be on the safe side.  Worst case scenario is that we lose 24 hours worth of posts.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #44 on: March 10, 2012, 05:19:45 PM
 :o

I think the population increases when this site goes down. Can you imagine losing it forever!  :ahhh

I did not know it was that close to being lost Def.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: March 10, 2012, 06:04:57 PM
I didn't want to worry anyone at the time, plus we were a bit distracted and the forum was up and down constantly during the period so I'm not certain the message would have gone very far even if we had tried to inform folks.

As I said the most important thing here is the community, and I think that while we could have tried to re-write reviews and get a "new"I forum built it wouldn't have had the same feel, and trying to get a hold of over 3,000 people with no access to the user database would have been impossible.

But, them's the breaks and you deal with it or your site dies, right?  We have far too much invested to let this place go without a hell of a fight.

Def

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #46 on: March 10, 2012, 06:23:02 PM
We have far too much invested to let this place go without a hell of a fight.

Def

I don't think they should mess with a forum full of people that use and collect sharp objects on a daily basis.
Not a smart move at all  :climber:
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: March 10, 2012, 06:26:18 PM
I agree, but there's no cure for stupid.

Def

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #48 on: March 10, 2012, 06:27:11 PM
At least we have a facebook group with 245 members on it so we at least do have a emergency rally point if we ever need it. Sure was a smart person making that group on facebook :P
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: March 10, 2012, 07:28:21 PM
Wait a tick, so I'm here and this is all just Grant and his splintered personalities talking to himself!? :twak: I love this place, it's the only forum I've ever been on and proud of it! I've met a solid friend here and consider everyone else here a friend I haven't met yet. Thank you Grant and everybody who contributes here. I hope I can say this again ten years from now (it's really starting to look like I will)! :cheers:

Stay multi my friends

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #50 on: March 10, 2012, 07:45:30 PM

Def

Oh yes there is. It's called castration >:D
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #51 on: March 10, 2012, 09:05:30 PM
Thanks short the story def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: March 10, 2012, 09:37:46 PM

Def

Oh yes there is. It's called castration >:D

Actually no, that simply prevents it from spreading... ;)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #53 on: March 11, 2012, 07:24:47 AM
I can't believe those morons at Serverloft would threaten to delete the forum databases.  That is just mean spirited, at least they could have offered to give the data back if they were going to be jerks about the issues. 

Really glad it didn't end.  I would be lost without this place!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #54 on: March 11, 2012, 10:37:04 AM
I think that's a little bit incorrect, while they were threatening to delete the entire main server, the actual offsite backups should have still been available. And to be totally fair, we were running extremely old wiki software... we did try to upgrade when we moved to :serverloft:, but it did not take very well, so we reverted to backups. We would have lost a few days or a week worth of posting (since the sites were already down for a while when they sprung this fantastic news on us) plus whatever time it took us to resetup everything on a freshly installed server. I had some backups locally myself that I kept just in case, but they tended to be around a month old.

The new setup while is using a single server has isolation between sites, so IF any site is compromised, we can disable that site without effecting the others. (You may have noticed the multitool wiki is now wiki.multitool.org rather than a sub directory of the main site) Plus they also have daily offserver backups to an awesome raid array. I have extremely good communication with all the admins at our new host, and while it costs us a little more than we paid at serverloft, they are taking care of all the server maintenance for us, leaving us with more time to dedicate to the actual site software. Some functions we had on the old setup (such as mail) is now dealt with on their platform mail server rather than the machine itself, dedicating the horsepower to the sites rather than bringing everything to a crawl when Grant sends out newsletters and updates (which from the positive feedback I've heard so far, actually are going out to everyone and far quicker than before). All in all, the new host is a much more positive place for us, and they are dedicated to making this work, and even said if we outgrow them or are unhappy, they will help us find a host that works better for us and help move everything there.

I like to think we are now at Generation 3 of the sites, since this is the 3rd Platform we've been on, at least while I'm around and things continue to improve as we go. It would be great if I had some more actual development time to dedicate to some more upgrades and improvements, but I now have a very exhausting day job... not to mention the steady stream of IT disasters that my inlaws feed in my direction, and all the stuff of our own I have to deal with...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Reply #55 on: March 11, 2012, 11:15:40 AM
Great story Def, thanks to you, all the mods and admin staff who make this site possible for us. Good job gentlemen... :cheers:
Stew.
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #56 on: March 11, 2012, 11:45:51 AM
I would like to see some of the posts where Grant was talking with himsef...
what names did he use?   :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #57 on: March 11, 2012, 11:51:27 AM
We'd have to kill you if you found out which..  ;)

Great thread Def, I've learned a few new details along the way..  :tu: :tu:

gb Offline BIGDOG

Reply #58 on: March 11, 2012, 11:51:47 AM
Great read didnt realise that their was a facebook group joining as we speak love this forum.

England Prevails

I am the invisible man

You cant see me
You cant see me
You cant see me
You cant see me

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #59 on: March 11, 2012, 12:05:58 PM

Anybody heard from Fred recently?  I hope he's doing ok!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%