Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SeberTech M4 keychain tool...Yay or nay?

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
SeberTech M4 keychain tool...Yay or nay?
on: January 30, 2008, 09:05:29 PM
http://www.keychain-tools.com/sbt_m4g.asp

I had the original one a few years ago and I was extremely unimpressed with it. After having it a couple of weeks I went out and bought a Swiss-Tech keychain pliers and was much happier. Now I've noticed this and this is a bit bigger and I'm wondering is it better? My one complaint about the Swiss-Tech is it's small and it's hard to get any leverage on it. I'm just wondering if this one, being slightly bigger in size, is able to "grip" better or is it still to small to be useless but for the smallest jobs. Comments?
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: SeberTech M4 keychain tool...Yay or nay?
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 09:12:49 PM
a little expensive for a relative unknown/non big boy. I get cheapies that are okay for 10 bucks (like Winchester).
nay.

us Offline Splat

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 09:14:40 PM
I handled one but didn't think it was anything great.
Splat

fi Offline deano42

• Custom paracord lanyards
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 10:00:15 PM
Hi

I have a similar tool (not even sure of its name.?) and it's real handy to carry around.

Price wise its a bit on the expensive side.

Depends if you value price over handiness I suppose...

Thanks
deano

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 10:11:14 PM
Depends if you value price over handiness I suppose...
I don't have a problem spending a lot of money on a tool if it's worth it. But from the comments so far I'll wait on it. Thanks guys!!!
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline DOODO0

Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 11:54:52 PM
Well according to this review it seems quite nice actully,
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,3088.0.html

Also it is comes out to only 22 shipped on the site provided in the review,
http://www.idltools.com/products/t10/
G

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 04:51:49 AM
I can't comment on the price (mine was a gift) but the M4 tool is a whole lot more tool than the earlier M2 and M3. Okay yes, it is not a "front line" sort of multitool capable of doing big jobs. But the beauty of the M4 is that you are likely to actually have it with you when a need arises. (Because of its size and carryability)

Yay.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 07:14:28 AM
http://www.keychain-tools.com/sbt_m4g.asp

I had the original one a few years ago and I was extremely unimpressed with it. After having it a couple of weeks I went out and bought a Swiss-Tech keychain pliers and was much happier. Now I've noticed this and this is a bit bigger and I'm wondering is it better? My one complaint about the Swiss-Tech is it's small and it's hard to get any leverage on it. I'm just wondering if this one, being slightly bigger in size, is able to "grip" better or is it still to small to be useless but for the smallest jobs. Comments?

For me, the price of 34.99 USD is not reasonable for a tool of such class and size. I have a similar tool, but with only a flat head and a philips screwdrivers aside from the pliers. I have not EDC it nor use it... not even once.

Eddie

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 04:16:58 AM
Hi I am new to the forum been reading here for a little while this is 1st post. Great site. I have a m4 and I think its great like you say not a big boy but there for a small job.  Also had a m3 but cant find it anywere liked it as well. so I say yay.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 04:21:01 AM
Welcome to the forum Poncho65.

Eddie

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 04:23:18 AM
Howdy Poncho!  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 12:28:04 PM
Welcome buddy.  :) 
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 06:31:55 PM
Hello mate, and welcome aboard :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 11:12:47 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys by the way I think I just paid about 18 usd for the m4 at my local Ace Hardware I don't think they are any higher online I think you have to look up T10 which is the new name for the M4  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 01:51:18 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys by the way I think I just paid about 18 usd for the m4 at my local Ace Hardware I don't think they are any higher online I think you have to look up T10 which is the new name for the M4  :D

Apparently an outfit called IDL bought out SeberTool:  http://www.idltools.com/products/t10/

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 02:38:34 AM
I was just looking around on this one website for different MTs and found a very close replica of the m4 made by sheffield and the price was only 6.99 usd there were also alot of other MTs also very large selection of knifes.  If anybody is interested the website is eknifeworks.com aka Smoky Mountain Knife Works I really love that place very big knife store.  :drool:

Offline walt_uoob

Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 12:55:05 PM
actually that looks pretty fantastic to me.  If they could squeeze some scissors in there, even better.  I've been carrying just a utilikey and a Juice S2, which has me in a bit of a quandry because the Juice is a bit too big to keep on my keys without being annoying, but small enough that I slip it in my pocket and it slips itself out all the time.  Luckily I've only lost it at friends' houses so far and it always gets back to me.  I might have to move up to an M4 as my keychain never-without-it tool and put the Juice away in favor of something more heavy duty that can be a never-any-farther-than-my-backpack tool.  Hm.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 05:04:08 AM
I'll tell ya that these little pliers are great I always have em when I need em the wire cutters work well for what I usually use them for.  All of the little tools inside considering size all work great as well. In my opinion a keychain tool worth buying great compliment with a utilikey as well.  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 04:28:17 AM
I'll tell ya that these little pliers are great I always have em when I need em the wire cutters work well for what I usually use them for.  All of the little tools inside considering size all work great as well. In my opinion a keychain tool worth buying great compliment with a utilikey as well.  :D

Good point about the M4 combined with a Utilikey Poncho. :)

Hmmmm, speaking of keychain tools, I wonder why SeberTech never made a little scissor tool based on the M4 chassis?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 09:50:40 PM
could it have been that when there first product the I2 Seberknife didn't do as well as the plier based tools they may have been afraid of another flop  . I am just speculating of course. Someone else may have a better or more correct response. :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 02:41:20 AM
could it have been that when there first product the I2 Seberknife didn't do as well as the plier based tools they may have been afraid of another flop  . I am just speculating of course. Someone else may have a better or more correct response. :D

That's as good a theory as any I suppose.  :)

It will be interesting to see if IDL tools invests and expands the SeberTool line, or just lets it stagnate.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 02:57:17 AM
For aome reason I doubt that they will (could be wrong and hope I am) They seem like a company (not to really be knocking anyone) that has built there company on the ideas of others.  But as I have said before speculation only they may have developed every other tool on there site. I am glad they bought sebertech industries because if they were about to go out of business at least they saved the m2 3 and 4. Maybe we'll see great things from them concerning the M series (crossing fingers)   :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 12:54:18 AM
Hate to see this thread go besides LM this is my fav MT :multi:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 01:22:14 AM
Q: Is the M4 the only keychain plier tool that has locking blades?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 02:29:54 AM
It's the only tool of the serbertech line that does. I also have Schrade Tough Chip which are scissor based not plier based similar to LM Micra that lock but they are a good inch bigger than the M4 :D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 02:38:32 AM by Poncho65 »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 02:46:51 AM
It's the only tool of the serbertech line that does. I also have Schrade Tough Chip which are scissor based not plier based similar to LM Micra that lock but they are a good inch bigger than the M4 :D

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the little Schrade. :)

Hey by the way, there's a SeberTech page at the Encyclopedia HERE that you might be interested in, as well as a page on the M4 HERE.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 03:36:21 AM
Thanks for the links I really like the M4 and the whole line never had a M2 but I had an M3 for a pretty good while back about 1999.  I had it for a while then have no idea where it went, but it in itself was a great keychain tool wish I could find it , it had great screwdrivers. :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 02:07:45 AM
So was there ever an SeberTech M1 that I never heard about? ???

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 02:38:08 AM
Yeah but it wasn't plier based it was actually called the I1 Seberknife   :tool:

here's a link for it   http://www.keychain-tools.com/sbt_i2g.asp

I think that it looks like they got the M4 locking blade from this model if you look close  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: April 12, 2008, 02:44:16 AM

I always figured the I2 was simply an M4 without pliers or the other handle.  :P  But it came along about the same time as the M4 right? Years after the M3 and before that the M2 were introduced. So yah, I wonder if there was an even earlier model named the M1

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%