Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A good read - is the author by any chance a member here?

us Offline 82brutus

This was a very entertaining read.  I included the first paragraph or so to wet your appetites and help you avoid going to it if you're already read it.

http://www.roguepaddler.com/multtool.htm

"Multi-Tool Envy

by Bryan Hansel

It’s that time of year again when the Mississippi thaws and sends giant chunks of ice spinning down to New Orleans for their eventual return to fluid. It’s also that time of year when paddlers tend to venture out to retail outlets and send large chunks of change to the bottom lines of cash-hungry business owners. This year, I’ve found myself longing for an unusually long list of items, and expect my top line to become intimately involved with my bottom line.

On a recent visit to a local retailer to help check items off of my "must-have" list, I found myself gawking over the wide selection of multi-tools...."
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
A good read - is the author by any chance a member here?
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:17:30 PM
I didn't like the ending. What doofus is running around the woods with a canoe and doesn't have a multi. I screamed at my screen "buy two dummy!". Definitely not a member here.  :twak:

Stay multi my friends

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: A good read - is the author by any chance a member here?
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 08:22:55 PM
This is actually a very good example of the fact that not everyone "needs" a multitool, but they sure as heck can make your life a lot easier. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:44:02 PM
Loved reading that  :tu: Keep a look out in the trade forum " For Trade several Multitools for Tent pegs and gaffa tape "  :rofl:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 10:17:34 PM
Well you know it is not me who wrote that. I don't have multi-tool envy.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 11:04:11 PM
Interesting read ... but one that leaves me a tiny bit confused. I spent many years with just a pocket knife. Never dreamed of carrying a multitool or a SAK. Even when I had pocket knives, I didn't always have one on me. I had no problem, if I needed a tool I found/borrowed/improvised something. The vast majority of my friends walk around each and everyday with no knife or tool, and get along just fine. Most of this for me was through - what I would now consider - not knowing any better. Now I have the pleasure of knowing how much easier life is with these small pocketable additions.

The guy writing that article seems to know that a tool would make things much easier, but wisely understands that it alone will not fix everything. Despite this he has chosen to make life harder for himself and seems proud of it.  :think:

Definitely not one of us  :P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 11:13:43 PM
I used to feel sorry for the poor souls that crawl through life, limiting themselves in so many ways, almost to the point of self flagellation.

But then I realized that when the day comes, and all the food has dried up, we're going to need some type of cattle
 >:D

(This is of course after we've consumed all the vegans and vegetarians... ;))
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 11:20:31 PM
Interesting read.  You can tell from this paragraph that he definitely is not a member here:

The closest thing to a multi-tool that I own is a Swiss Army knife—the Classic model to be exact. It sports a small, extremely useless knife, a weak tweezers, a toothpick, and one of the best tiny scissors I’ve ever used. The scissors warrant the constant attachment to my trout fishing fanny pack. But this knife just doesn’t have the glamour of a multi-tool.

Two things come to mind- first and foremost that if he thinks a Classic is useless then the issue is with him, not with the Classic.  Second, if he's trying to be an outdoors guy with a Classic, he may as well try to go to Moab or the Rubicon with a Smart Car.   ::)  It's kind of the wrong scale for what he is doing.

Also this:

The Wave is known as the best multi-tool on the market.

By who?  Yes the Wave certainly has it's followers, but no more or less so than many other tools including the Charge, MP600, Spirit, Powerlock etc.  His research in this field probably didn't extend much further than the guy behind the counter and maybe Bionic Lobster.   :facepalm:

He does make a good point though- a multitool is only as good as it's owner, and all you buy when you get a multitool is a few options in a bad situation.  It's up to the user to make things happen, or not as the case may be, and the right user can (and will) use whatever he or she has with them to do what they need, whether they use a Wave, SAK, stick, rock or whatever else is handy.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 02:58:18 AM
I keep looking for an article from his friends about the guy always  traveling with them borrowing their tools and either losing them in the water or destroying them.  :D

He sounds like that guy...

Sent from my phone.
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%