Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Micro Toolclip Generation II

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
SOG Micro Toolclip Generation II
on: March 16, 2012, 07:30:06 PM
   There are some designs that are timeless, some that are classic, and some that are simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.  SOG’s Micro Tool Clip is in that category.  Originally made in the USA and available in different colors, it was discontinued some years ago and has become a favourite of collectors.  Many like myself are content to own a black one, but other collectors relish the challenge of obtaining it in all the original colors.

The Generation II Micro ToolClip is an updated version of the original, not merely a dusting off of the original design and cranking out a run of 10,000 or so.  The resurrection is the result of a SOG employee who, after all these years, still carried his original Micro ToolClip and refused to use anything else as he felt this was the perfect tool.  I have to agree- the Micro ToolClip was a great tool and I was quite excited to see a new version available.

While it may look similar to the original at first glance, it doesn’t take a trained eye to see the differences.  It’s easy to see the pedigree but the Generation II is a tool unto itself.  Like its predecessor it is a fixed head plier design but the pliers have been updated as well.  They are rounded now and feature a more robust wire cutter section, and they are now sprung open, meaning they are easier to use since the open themselves when the pressure is released.  They are held closed when not in use by a small lever lock located just inboard of the plier pivot pin. I don’t have as much faith in this little switch as I did with the original Micro ToolClip, which used a plastic hook to keep the plier head closed. Also, the original wasn’t sprung, which means that this new generation could launch open if bumped in just the right manner by anything else in the same pocket.  As with all small tools the pliers are light duty only, but suitable for most tasks and can handle bigger jobs than they are meant to.

On the far end of the smaller plier handle is a Phillips head screwdriver, which is another upgrade from the original version.  It has some usefulness as it has great reach, but it also suffers from having the main handle too close even when open.  This means that unless there is a lot of clearance around the item you are attempting to work with then it may not be terribly useful to you.  Still, it would be wasted space otherwise, so better to have it for the occasions it will come in handy than to not have it and curse its absence.

Inside the main handle is a small knife blade, a file with flathead screwdriver end and a bottle opener, also with a screwdriver tip on it.  Given the choice I’d be more inclined to use the screwdriver on the bottle opener as files are generally heat treated softer than screwdrivers and could end up in a warranty claim.  It’s a personal thing but I don’t trust screwdrivers on the ends of files.  That having been said, the blade is sharp, the file is functional and the bottle opener I am glad to report has not failed me yet!

In short, the Micro ToolClip is a great tool for under $20 and available in four different colors- blue, green, pink (for the ladies) and classic black.  Sadly it was discontinued almost immediately after it was released, so it may be difficult to locate one.

Pros:
•   Fixed plier head
•   Excellent tool compliment
•   Price

Cons:
•   Phillips Driver on handle is limited
•   Screwdriver tip on file is questionable
•   Lock release on pliers also questionable
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: SOG Micro Toolclip Generation II
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 07:36:24 PM
Nice review Def, isnt the toolclip marketed under sogs Toollogic banner now ? i had one of these for a while but was just sitting about so traded it on, cool little MT though and liked its pliers,  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 07:55:35 PM
Yes and no- it was originally marketed as a SOG, then changed to a Tool Logic version which I don't think was ever released, then cancelled.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:58:09 PM
Yes and no- it was originally marketed as a SOG, then changed to a Tool Logic version which I don't think was ever released, then cancelled.

Def

I probably need another one of these  :D   ::)   :ahhh  :ahhh

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 08:43:13 PM
Shame it was cancelled so soon. :-\  Feels like they put a lot of work into bring it back and then dropped it. :think:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 09:18:39 PM
Yes I agree, but they simply couldn't get the quality level where they wanted it and still keep the price point where they wanted it.  Personally I'd have happily paid $30 for one of these and had them rather than trying to keep them at the $20 price point and lose them.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:31:21 PM
Given the choice I’d be more inclined to use the screwdriver on the bottle opener as files are generally heat treated softer than screwdrivers and could end up in a warranty claim.

I think it's the other way around, isn't it?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 11:51:44 PM
Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking- it should say harder not softer.  This is what I get for writing these at work when I am only half paying attention....  :facepalm:

Def

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 07:05:21 PM
I should stop looking at these as want another one now  :ahhh   :ahhh  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 02:32:05 AM
I should stop looking at these as want another one now  :ahhh   :ahhh  :D

There's only blue and green left I think:

http://www.edcsource.com/Multitoolorg-Store,name,100175,user_id,shop

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%