Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OMG

Ashley · 25 · 2506

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
OMG
on: March 18, 2012, 06:04:38 AM
I can't stop shaking my head. I was reading a thread on BF where someone was asking what a knife their father had gifted them years ago was worth and the mod closed the thread and told them they couldn't ask that without a gold or higher membership.  :sa: :sa: :sa: :sa: :sa: Saying they may try to sell it.  :facepalm:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/936803-Whats-my-1-of-200-Bulldog-Brand-knife-worth

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
OMG
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 06:29:58 AM
And they say CPF is bad!

Nice way to treat a new guy...
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: OMG
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 11:30:28 AM
Wow, that seems a little heavy handed.  OK, I can see that it is at least possible (likely even) that someone new coming onto a forum and asking that kind of question might well be looking to attract offers, but it's not a given either.   For example; what if it is worth some real money and the guy just wants to list in on his home insurance?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Online powernoodle

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 12:33:39 PM
They have a rule that you can't ask for an opinion as to a knife's sale value unless you are a paying member.  This is not a bad rule, as otherwise they would have 9000x people a day saying "how much is my knife worth" and turning BF into a free appraisal site.

Can some of the mods be heavy handed, and do they not say please and thank you enough?  Yes.  I have had many so-called infractions given to me for over there - some earned and some not.

But on a big site like that, you gotta have rules, otherwise it turns into a cluster muffin.

I just made that word up, but you get the point.  :)

They also have a rule - whether it is reduced to writing I don't know - that you can't bad mouth other forums, and I think thats a good rule too.  This thread would not exist at BF.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 12:51:28 PM
Bashing other forums is just bad form and I tend to agree with that.  This thread I don't think violates that though.  It's a fine line between needless bashing and someone having a legitimate viewpoint or reaction to something going on.

In this case it's "I don't like this specific incident or the way it's handled" and that makes it legitimate in my mind.  If the thread was "Bladeforums (or Knifeforums, EDCF, USN etc) sucks because they are a bunch of poopy heads" then I would agree with you wholeheartedly.

Also, if we had 9,000 posts/day asking what something was worth, we'd simply create a "What's My ________ Worth" forum specific to those kinds of things.  After all, that qualifies as discussion in my mind, and discussion is what a forum is all about.

That's not to say what we do here is more "right" and what they do is "wrong" it's simply a matter of opinion on how to run a forum.  They have their way, I have mine and coincidentally we both have our own forums.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
OMG
Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 05:56:13 PM
I'm not bashing at all! I'm just surprised as I think that a knife forum would be a good place to find out a value of a knife. YMMV

Sent from Ash forum mobile

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 06:41:29 PM
I have signed up for over 50 gun,knife,motorcycle,and other odds and ends forums over the years.It doesn't take long to see if a forum is "friendly" or not.Most every forum has their crack pots that never have anything good to say about anything.I tend to drift away from those type of forums.All forums really need some kind of rules but if I have to second guess everything I write to avoid breaking a rule it's not for me.This forum is great and I have never noticed a fight or anyone being a total idiot while I have been a member here.It is fun here and I know I can get info or advice if I need it without someone cracking the whip at me.I am a member of the Blade forums but I have 
never made a post there.I guess that says it all. :whistle:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 06:46:29 PM
I am a member of the Blade forums but I have never made a post there.I guess that says it all. :whistle:

:rofl:

Here's mine.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 07:26:11 PM
I posted a few times at BF, but honestly the people werent that helpful.  Here on the other hand, people go out of their way to help.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 07:45:20 PM
I'm pretty sure it was BF, you can't even mention a dealer's name if they haven't paid money to the forum.

I guess it's like ebay, it's big and no real alternative, so they can do whatever they want and you can suck it up.

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 09:35:00 PM
All good points here, I only visit this forum and one other, JRTerrier forum, both are very friendly but I spend most of my time here, this forum is a beacon and an example of doing it right, very fair and friendly, some forums insist you have a minimum post count before you can even think about trading. For me this is the 'one' I like it here :tu:

ps. @powernoodle try these cluster muffins :D
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 10:37:32 PM
I've always been pretty liberal (I know, bad word for many of us!) about what is and isn't allowed.  I don't mind helping out guys who are trying to make it.  There have been a few in the past that have tried to take advantage of the community and as a result of some private discussions with them they don't post here any more.  I won't mention names, but I'm pretty certain long time members will have some ideas.

No, we aren't as big as BF, and given our relatively limited scope we probably never will be.  But, there are guys who like BF and don't like this forum, so really you just need to find a place that suits you.  Some like it there, others like it here and yet others like both of us, and there are still others that don't like either of us.  I haven't measured it lately, but I'm, pretty certain that there's room on the internet for all of us.  If there isn't, I like either large cheques or dump trucks full of money and I'll be happy to step aside...   >:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
OMG
Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 10:50:35 PM
As stated I clearly like both and the jugle training forum but I believe that a knife forum is a good place to find out a value or your knife. :think: Anyways I didn't mean to rub your noodle the wrong way power but you know opinions are like smurfholes and we all have one.

Sent from Ash forum mobile

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 10:55:46 PM
No one is blaming you or upset Ashley.  I just know that we are way awesomer than any other forum but I have to pretend like others have some kind of value.   :D

Def

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 10:53:14 AM
No one is blaming you or upset Ashley.  I just know that we are way awesomer than any other forum but I have to pretend like others have some kind of value.   :D

Def

:rofl:

I have joined plenty of forums over the years, but the only one that I come back to consistently is this one.  It's my home because of the way things are done.  That and the owner has pretty thick skin, something that cannot be said for a few select sites that shall remain nameless. 

The only other forum I frequent now is the one in my signature, and that's because it just started and I dig the way it's run.  If it continues on the path it's on, it will be a really cool place for a long time.  There are pretty good similarities with how it's run and how MTO is run, so that's the attraction I guess. 

I don't remember if I ever registered at BF, but I do know that I was put off by more than a few threads so I never go there.  It could be a totally isolated experience for all I know, I may have just read a couple negative ones but it was enough for me to forget the URL.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 01:19:44 PM
If I couldn't laugh at myself then there wouldn't be anyone left on this forum.   :facepalm:

Def

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 01:37:51 PM

Nope , I reckon cluster muffins would be of a more explosive nature :think: :P :D.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 02:54:58 PM
I have joined plenty of forums over the years, but the only one that I come back to consistently is this one.  It's my home because of the way things are done.  That and the owner has pretty thick skin, something that cannot be said for a few select sites that shall remain nameless. 

+1 :tu:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 02:56:26 PM
I've been in sales for 29 years which has caused me to build up a very thick skin when it comes to the behavior of others.  When it comes to spending time in forums online I'm a little less accepting of bad behavior.  If the general attitude in a forum is negative or arrogant or if some members with those traits are allowed free reign, then I choose not to participate. 

MTO is my first stop when I go online for discussions.  Members here treat each other with respect even when they are on opposite sides of an issue.
Tick Magnet

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 01:23:47 AM
I've been in sales for 29 years which has caused me to build up a very thick skin when it comes to the behavior of others.  When it comes to spending time in forums online I'm a little less accepting of bad behavior.  If the general attitude in a forum is negative or arrogant or if some members with those traits are allowed free reign, then I choose not to participate. 

MTO is my first stop when I go online for discussions.  Members here treat each other with respect even when they are on opposite sides of an issue.

Very true.  I have always been impressed at how discussions here rarely turn into arguments.  I am also impressed with how the Admin and Mod staff lets a discussion develop rather than try to guide it.  Nothing worse than oppressive thread management.  I think every major thread here has been hijacked at least once, but it's always a fun direction!

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 01:29:43 AM

Nope , I reckon cluster muffins would be of a more explosive nature :think: :P :D.

All kidding aside, my wife is GF, and that recipe looks good.

I like the phrase "cluster muffin"  - has a nice ring to it.

I think it will enter my vernacular along side "Blows goats"
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 02:06:18 AM

Very true.  I have always been impressed at how discussions here rarely turn into arguments.  I am also impressed with how the Admin and Mod staff lets a discussion develop rather than try to guide it.  Nothing worse than oppressive thread management.  I think every major thread here has been hijacked at least once, but it's always a fun direction!

I kinda sound like I've been smoking the wacky tobacky when I say this, but in my mind a conversation (or in this case a thread) is like a living thing, similar to a tree or a vine.  It needs to grow in whichever way it likes.  You can try to guide it, but in the end it's going to do it's own thing.

This is a community of people that like to hang out together.  We have a common interest in multitools, pocket knives, and flashlights, but there are a hundred other sites you could go on and discuss any of those.  We stand out because of the little extra freedom afforded by a more laid back attitude.  Yeah, it bites us in the ass from time to time, but overall I think it works well.

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 02:11:09 AM
Works very well indeed. This is the only forum I tend to frequent these days on a regular bases.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 02:20:18 AM
I used to be an avid fan of EDCF, before I found MT.O; my first impression of this place was one of, well, strangeness.  So many tangents, but it seemed friendly enough.  Except for stealing so much of my money, this place is checked daily; EDCF maybe once a week, at best, and that's just to reply to messages.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 02:36:10 AM
I used to check EDCF, and I really do intend to resume at least a weekly check in because it really is a great forum.  It's not my favorite by faaaar, but it is a cool place.  Jon has built a great site for gearheads like us.  I don't think I will ever stop coming to MTO, and it will always be on a daily basis.  I have one other EDC site that I am on daily, but there is only room for it and MTO in my life.  I don't check any others frequently at all.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $190.83
PayPal Fees: $11.26
Net Balance: $179.57
Below Goal: $120.43
Site Currency: USD
60%