Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any pipe smokers here?

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Re: Any pipe smokers here?
Reply #60 on: June 03, 2017, 08:51:58 PM
Been a while since I lit one of mine up...

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #61 on: June 03, 2017, 08:52:32 PM
Here's the one just like yours that I still have, a little dusty but hey, nice little box, and my old one I gave away, that was nice! It had a domed top, I kept all the nice ones on the shelf and all the cheap ones that came in handy when mowing the lawn to keep the bugs off on the bottom.. lol
JR

Sorry old pic, a little out of focus..
IMG_7411.PNG
* IMG_7411.PNG (Filesize: 211.53 KB)
IMG_7409.PNG
* IMG_7409.PNG (Filesize: 136.3 KB)
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #62 on: June 03, 2017, 09:24:06 PM
I just got my first pipe yesterday. A savinelli series iii unfinished briar 404 (I think).

Had my first smoke last night, I've occasionally smoked cigars before, but never a pipe. It was a bugger to keep lit, but I understand there's an art to it.
Beautiful pipe, I was a cigar smoker heck that humidor you have there looks just like one of mine that I still have, but I also tried pipes, I remembered my grandfather used to and I just absolutely loved the smell, he actually gave me all of his. But I didn't get very far, yeah there a little hard to keep lit, like you said there's like an art to it. Still have all mine, but something came up with my breathing and smoke doesn't agree with me..
JR

Thanks! That's too bad about the smoke thing, but health  before hobbies, I suppose.

That's funny about the humidor. My friend gave it to me. I think he got it free with a bunch of cigars he bought. I can finally put it to use.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #63 on: June 03, 2017, 09:51:32 PM
I just got my first pipe yesterday. A savinelli series iii unfinished briar 404 (I think).

Had my first smoke last night, I've occasionally smoked cigars before, but never a pipe. It was a bugger to keep lit, but I understand there's an art to it.
Beautiful pipe, I was a cigar smoker heck that humidor you have there looks just like one of mine that I still have, but I also tried pipes, I remembered my grandfather used to and I just absolutely loved the smell, he actually gave me all of his. But I didn't get very far, yeah there a little hard to keep lit, like you said there's like an art to it. Still have all mine, but something came up with my breathing and smoke doesn't agree with me..
JR

Thanks! That's too bad about the smoke thing, but health  before hobbies, I suppose.

That's funny about the humidor. My friend gave it to me. I think he got it free with a bunch of cigars he bought. I can finally put it to use.
:( I so miss my cohibas,, but yeah health comes first! Both of mine I got for free as a package deal along with cigars, that big one was a sweet deal especially since it was time to hand cigars out because of the little guy! It came with a large assortment and then like two bundles of crappy ones, so I kept the bundle of assorted you see on top and handed out the crappy ones, lol..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #64 on: June 03, 2017, 10:05:41 PM

JR

I agree about the smoking Mad P. Also, beautiful pipe man.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #65 on: June 03, 2017, 10:07:48 PM

JR

Which part the breathing?
JR

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #66 on: June 03, 2017, 10:10:02 PM

JR

JR
Yes. But not just being able to smoke a pipe, but in general.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #67 on: June 03, 2017, 10:15:58 PM
Old picture from 2004, but yeah, I am a pipe smoker.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #68 on: June 03, 2017, 10:21:31 PM

JR

JR
Yes. But not just being able to smoke a pipe, but in general.
It sucks, it's the "smoke" anytime around it I have to be careful, heck we were walking past a Burger King and the smoke was pouring out the roof and wind blew it right at us and I was like  :surrender: just can't breath, really sucks when cooking on the grill, I got to hope the wind is blowing a little and keep myself on the one side. The other thing is cleaning chemicals, like bleach! Omg that's freaking bad, the wife thinks I say so to get out of cleaning the bathroom but heck no!
JR

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #69 on: June 11, 2017, 06:58:15 PM
Got a couple more accouterments. A leather roll and a brass zippo with a pipe insert. The unfinished briar has darkened very nicely already. Sorry for the dark pics, took them at night.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: June 13, 2017, 06:10:30 PM
A 50 year old meerschaum and a knife made about 1943 in a farms blacksmith shop in Maryland.  Both were very well used by their former owner. Both still function perfectly well.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: June 14, 2017, 12:25:39 PM
Got a couple more accouterments. A leather roll and a brass zippo with a pipe insert. The unfinished briar has darkened very nicely already. Sorry for the dark pics, took them at night.
That is a nice set up.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #72 on: June 01, 2018, 09:51:31 PM
Yesterday I made myself a shaving brush and razor stand based on a similar thing I saw on etsy. Today, I made another razor stand for a friend and a pipe rack for me and a different friend.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #73 on: June 01, 2018, 10:18:24 PM
Nice little setup..
JR

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #74 on: June 01, 2018, 10:23:48 PM

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #75 on: September 18, 2018, 01:14:12 AM
Got out for a smoke for the first time in a while tonight.

1) Peterson Irish made army 101
2) Zippo armor brass pipe lighter
3) steel nail tamper

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: September 18, 2018, 04:15:37 AM
Very nice! So what are you smoking?
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #77 on: September 18, 2018, 04:19:47 AM
Very nice! So what are you smoking?

Nothing too exciting tonight, some Lane 1-Q with some McClelland's vanilla black cavendish mixed in.

Trying to make the VBC last since McClelland went out of business due to the idiotic upcoming FDA regulations....  No more Frog Morton's series, either  :facepalm:  :-\

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #78 on: September 18, 2018, 04:30:32 AM
I ought to treat myself to another pouch of tobacco. I tend to ration myself to one 25g bag a month, although it's been a bag every couple of months lately.

I usually call into a newsagent which has drums of the loose Gawith Hoggarth tobaccos, and they weigh out whatever you want, but it's more of a chore than it used to be. Since the EU TPD none of the names make any sense, so you have to stare at them for a few minutes trying to decipher the code before knowing which one you want.  :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #79 on: September 19, 2018, 06:53:09 PM
I ought to treat myself to another pouch of tobacco. I tend to ration myself to one 25g bag a month, although it's been a bag every couple of months lately.

I usually call into a newsagent which has drums of the loose Gawith Hoggarth tobaccos, and they weigh out whatever you want, but it's more of a chore than it used to be. Since the EU TPD none of the names make any sense, so you have to stare at them for a few minutes trying to decipher the code before knowing which one you want.  :think:

I don't know anything about the EU regs, so if I understand what you're saying the tobacco no longer has names?

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #80 on: September 19, 2018, 07:10:10 PM

I don't know anything about the EU regs, so if I understand what you're saying the tobacco no longer has names?

The name can no longer mention a flavour, like cherry
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #81 on: September 19, 2018, 07:14:22 PM

Huh, that would make it confusing.

So, something like Dunhill's Nightcap would still be called by its name?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #82 on: September 19, 2018, 07:27:15 PM

Yes. It just can't be called Cherry and Vanilla, or any other flavouring, or be defined as light or mild or anything like that. Some snuff manufacturers have given them different names such as Mild Lemon (which you can't now use either name) becoming Sicilian Burst, or Rose of Sharrow becoming Rows of Sharrow, and Honey Menthol becoming Bee Cool, but Gawith Hoggath have resorted to initials for a lot of their products. This means having to stare at it and try to figure out which of the old products the new designation refers to. As it's a newsagent rather than a speSmurfpillst tobacconist, the staff there don't have any useful insights.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #83 on: September 19, 2018, 07:55:55 PM

Yes. It just can't be called Cherry and Vanilla, or any other flavouring, or be defined as light or mild or anything like that. Some snuff manufacturers have given them different names such as Mild Lemon (which you can't now use either name) becoming Sicilian Burst, or Rose of Sharrow becoming Rows of Sharrow, and Honey Menthol becoming Bee Cool, but Gawith Hoggath have resorted to initials for a lot of their products. This means having to stare at it and try to figure out which of the old products the new designation refers to. As it's a newsagent rather than a speSmurfpillst tobacconist, the staff there don't have any useful insights.

That would be maddening. Especially if you inadvertently got the wrong blend.

Over here the FDA has threatened (although the implementation keeps getting delayed) that any tobacco or smoking product introduced after 2007 (I think) has to go through the complete FDA approval process, just like a drug. The process, of course, is super expensive. This affects tobacco blends, cigars, even the pipes themselves. That is what made the McClellands decide to close up shop and retire early.

All of that is ostensibly to curb e-cig use.  :facepalm:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #84 on: September 22, 2018, 02:34:58 AM
That is very confusing.  I just ordered 4 different 12 ounce bags of pipe tobacco 2 of which were flavored.  The flavor was printed on the front of the labels even if it wasn't the name of the tobacco.  I think I'd be very annoyed if I had to go through all that to figure out what was what.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #85 on: September 22, 2018, 07:25:25 AM
I am still very much wanting to get into pipe smoking. I have been looking at “estate” pipes online and am itching to get one, but I just don’t have the expendable funds and won’t for a while. I watched a few videos about the basics and it’s all pretty straight forward. I watched a great video on why people smoke pipes and learned it’s a very relaxing and enjoyable hobby. I also enjoy thinking about the history of pipe smoking and the surely amazing conversations and meeting that took place in our history with a bunch of old timers sharing a pipe. I’ll try and get one when I can and let you guys know how it goes!
I'm the milk man!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #86 on: September 22, 2018, 03:18:24 PM
I am still very much wanting to get into pipe smoking. I have been looking at “estate” pipes online and am itching to get one, but I just don’t have the expendable funds and won’t for a while. I watched a few videos about the basics and it’s all pretty straight forward. I watched a great video on why people smoke pipes and learned it’s a very relaxing and enjoyable hobby. I also enjoy thinking about the history of pipe smoking and the surely amazing conversations and meeting that took place in our history with a bunch of old timers sharing a pipe. I’ll try and get one when I can and let you guys know how it goes!

It can be reasonably inexpensive if you want to start with a corn cob pipe. Probably like any hobby, you can spend as much or as little as you want.

If you want to get into briar pipes somewhat inexpensively, I have had good luck with the savinelli series iii pipes. They are kind of like a "seconds" line and come unfinished, but smoke the same as their nicer lines. Plus you can watch them darken as you use them. Pic attached of my two savinelli pipes and my Peterson

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: January 01, 2020, 04:40:39 PM
My first smoke of 2020.
My father's old Kaywoodie. The old man loved this one.
The Jager in lab glass is mother's thing

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: January 01, 2020, 04:58:28 PM
Good idea resurrecting the thread, I have to mix up a fresh batch of pipe tobacco. I make a mix of Davidoff Scottish Mixture and Peterson Irish Flake. Really enjoy this mixture. I also enjoy MacBarens Navy Flake.

I've got my eye on a Peterson Dublin 05 Filter for my next pipe.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: January 02, 2020, 01:13:52 PM
Davidoff Scottish mixture is one of my favorite tobaccos!
Very Nice one

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24