Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Garmin 60CSx

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Garmin 60CSx
on: March 28, 2012, 02:41:32 AM

One of my two trusty GPS units.  I still have and occasionally use an ancient Magellan 300 GPS unit too.  I don't have any pics but it looks like an old cell phone from the early 90's:

I still don't know how to work half the things on my Garmin!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Re: Garmin 60CSx
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:15:13 PM
That looks like a great unit!  The amount of outdoor travel I do, I'm really going to have
to get to checking these out.

Sean

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 10:28:32 PM
The key is to get the units with the "x" designation.  Those are the ones with memory card slots.  I have a Garmin 60C.  It's good, but limited memory.  Honestly, it's a hassle.  I have to pick and choose maps and often have to leave out topos.

I also have an eTrex Legend Cx.  With a memory card, I have all the US maps loaded.  Much more convenient.

Def's unit is a 60CSx so it has the memory card slot AND has the larger screen that the 60 series boasts.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 11:20:58 PM
I haven't figured out (or spent any time trying) how to put the topo maps on my Garmin.  I rarely if ever use the map function on it and tend to stick mostly to the numerical values on it- speed, distance, time etc.

I probably should figure it out sometime (I have all the topo maps) but the wonderful thing about kayaking is that when there's a change in elevation, you can usually figure it out pretty easily! 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 12:01:21 AM
You can transfer your topomaps on to your Garmin using Mapsource (= Garmin software, I know there's some new software out, called basecamp, also made by and for Garmin, but I haven't used it much, so I don't know it yet).

First you'll have to "unlock" your topo maps on your pc, which means entering a 25 digit code if I"m not mistaking, once unlocked you can select the sections of the topomap that you need and transfer them to your GPS unit.

Once that you've transfered the topomaps on to your Garmin you will have to select "hide city navigator maps" in the map menu, because the city navigator maps are always on top of the topo maps, once you hide the city navigator maps, the topo maps are automatically shown on the GPS screen.

I love my Map 60 CSx, use it for mountainbiking and hiking, and also used it for motorcycling (back in the days when I still owned my Kawasaki ZX9R Ninja ...  :cry:).

Offline cadjak

Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 06:50:54 PM
I have an Etrex Vista HCX. It has been a great tool for me. I agree with Mr. Whippy, the ability to have additional memory via a card slot is a huge advantage. I have it stuffed with every imaginable topo I could find. There are lots available online for free.  The biggest challenge has been to only use it when NEEDED. It took me years to stop being amazed that I could track and backtrack.  I would walk down the trail more enamored with the device than with my surroundings. That wasn't what I was hiking for.  These days I'll use it for off trail help and as a double check at confusing trail intersections. I hoped that my smart phone would replace it, since it weighs more than I would like. That turned out not to be an easy transition. I still pack the Etrex.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%