Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Solar charger

Offline 17Chap

Solar charger
on: March 28, 2012, 04:44:59 AM
This  is a great opportunity.  Thanks Grant, for the emails with links that remind me to come back here.   :salute:

Here's my question.  I want to take my iPad2 to the Boundary Waters this year instead of 5 lbs of books.  Can anyone suggest a reasonably effective and cost efficient solar charger that won't weigh as much as the books?

Jess

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Solar charger
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 10:37:15 AM
Its quite a power hungry device  :-\  Perhaps something with an e-ink display would be easier to recharge. In fact due to the low power consumption might not even need a recharge depending on length of time we're talking.  Just a sideways though on the matter :)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Solar charger
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 02:05:57 PM
CPF has a nice compact foldable solar charger. Just look in the electronics section.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 02:15:53 PM
I agree with Neil- a less power consumptive device would be a lot better for that kins of situation.... however, since that isn't always possible a solar charger is a good option.  Interestingly Wenger launched some new ones this year:

http://www.wengerna.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/5/acdc110b1cc30f3bb280968648a6cb8a/files/wenger_powers_up_new_2012_solar_charger_line.pdf

They are a bit pricey but there's a good sized battery unit that the charger charges (so your iPad or other device can be locked safely away from moisture until you need it) then you plug the device into the battery when the device needs to be charged.  The expense of the charger is a great way to offset the replacement cost of your device!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 07:42:21 PM
I've had my eye on one of these for a while...

http://www.amazon.com/PowerFilm-AA-Battery-Solar-Charger/dp/B001RMF7P8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT11?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2C9P46OSVQTMW&colid=3PONN6QRWJRIO

They also make one that put current out through USB too, which could be used for an iPad.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%