Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Home made camp stoves

Sparky415 · 114 · 26538

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Home made camp stoves
on: March 28, 2012, 12:47:16 PM

Here's a little stove made from an Ikea cutlery drainer
You don't need any special tools, I used a hole cutter but you could use tin snips or a Dremel

Hopefully it will get tested at the Sheffield Meet  :salute:

More home made stuff?

:pok: Spork?

:D

Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Home made camp stoves
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 01:01:05 PM
very nice tony, i really need to make one of these soon , hopefully before i go out on a little camping trip witht he girls this summer  :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 05:47:23 PM
That's a neat looking little rig!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 06:02:50 PM
Thanks Guys,

I need to fill it full of small sticks and see what happens  :)
It worked fine with one of the little Meths burners
I have a stainless 'pot' for it somewhere, now I just need to find one of those removable 'clamp handles' from somewhere  :-\
Everything’s adjustable

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 06:13:22 PM
I like that set up!  It would be great if the drainer was short enough to store in the pot (like stacking dolls).

Currently I have a stand made out of welding rods.  Not ideal but lightweight and packs inside the pot (just don't TOUCH IT WHILE COOKING!!! :ahhh)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 06:30:01 PM
I keep meaning to try making those little alcohol burner stoves, but haven't gotten around to it yet.   They look neat.  I even bought some pure methanol to use as fuel, but Ive been lazy and haven't made one yet.  Looks like a good setup you have, now I have to check my IKEA for a piece like you have.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 07:20:38 PM
I have a stainless 'pot' for it somewhere, now I just need to find one of those removable 'clamp handles' from somewhere  :-\

You mean a multitool with pliers?  :P :pok: :pok: :D

Nice little set up Tony  :tu: Are the bent rods for if the pot is a smaller diameter than the top of the stove, or are they doing a different job?

(EDIT: OK, I see they're supporting the burner now  :-[

Only tweak I can think is to put a notch down one side. That way if you're using a metal mug as a pot (sat on the bent rods) there's somewhere for the handle to go  :)

I look forward to seeing it in the flesh mate  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 07:28:39 PM
That's really cool!  My wife has been harrasing me to make her a "tuna can" stove for her to use for backpacking.  She's planning on doing about a 50 mi. stretch of the John Muir Trail this summer and is going all weight-weenie for it.  She wants to just get a cheapie alcohol burner and something to put it in, very much like what you've done here.  I'll have to mention it to her.  Thanks for the pics!
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 07:34:06 PM
That's really cool!  My wife has been harrasing me to make her a "tuna can" stove for her to use for backpacking.  She's planning on doing about a 50 mi. stretch of the John Muir Trail this summer and is going all weight-weenie for it.  She wants to just get a cheapie alcohol burner and something to put it in, very much like what you've done here.  I'll have to mention it to her.  Thanks for the pics!

Paul, if she's going to be a miser with the milligrams, don't let her fall into the trap of titanium cookware especially with a low temperature stove such as alcohol. It's such a bad conductor that you need more fuel in comparison with other pots do do the same cooking, and she'll end up having to carry more grams of additional fuel than she will save by using titanium  ::)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 08:32:47 PM

I made this EXACT alcohol burner and it works great.  I've used it dozens of times out ice climbing and mountaineering (ie cold and elevation doesn't affect it).

Penny Stove

I'll see if I can get some pictures of it up.  The only downside was having to drink the Heineken (I like a more robust beer...)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 08:46:20 PM
That does indeed look like a good set-up Tony, in fact I've got my eye on the one I have on the draining board, but I think my wife might not be too happy with me. ;)

I've done a few different alcohol burners over the years, I'll dig them out and take some snaps at some point. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 11:15:02 PM

@Syph007

Try this one Mate  :salute:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,31235.0.html

@Al
There's so many holes its very versatile
The bent rods are knitting needles (not sure if the ali will take the heat yet   :-\ )

@Gareth
Charity/thrift shops Mate  ;)

I am looking for one of those handles that locks on to the pot if anyone knows what they are called or has a link please  :think:

Everything’s adjustable

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 01:09:19 AM
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/trangia-trangia-camping-stove-p141017

There might be a few cheaper options too. Try using "pot" in the search box  :tu:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 11:06:14 AM
Thanks for that Al  :salute:

I didn't want to use a multitool (might make it smell smoky   ::) ) and I had seen these somewhere before

Cheaper options? It says there is free postage if you spend more than 70quid    :ahhh

Not sure that using the word 'pot' will help in google  :D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:08:37 PM by sparky415 »
Everything’s adjustable

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 01:38:57 PM
 :rofl: not google yer great turnip :twak: the search bar on the site  :D

Alternatively any local camping store should sell them

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 01:59:16 PM
Spork made this one a while back that I always liked:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=71&Itemid=35

Soda can stove made with only a SAK!  Well, and a soda can too... :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 02:05:06 PM
Oh good instructions there, now I have no excuse not to try making one.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 02:10:29 PM
Use a Pepsi or Coke can... using a beer can to burn alcohol is sacrilegious and may cause you to make several with a degrading level of quality control!   :drink:

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 07:38:09 PM
Good to know... thanks for the info.  I know Ti is a lousy heat sink material from my flashlight experience... kinda dumb of me not to realize that with respect to cookware... :P

Fortunately, she's avoiding the Ti stuff because of its cost.  To me it doesn't make much difference, but she keeps reminding me that I'm a lot stronger than she is, so the weight is much more of an issue for her. 

That's really the one thing about her doing this trip that worries me... she's insisting on doing it alone.  Wants the challenge and the "me time"...  I've got no problem with that, but I still worry about her being out there on her own, and sometimes I feel like she's not being realistic in her risk assessment.  Regardless, I'm doing everything I can to be supportive and helpful of her goal with this, so I'll make sure to pass this on.

(She says I should worry more about taking care of the kids by myself for a whole week!   :ahhh )

Paul, if she's going to be a miser with the milligrams, don't let her fall into the trap of titanium cookware especially with a low temperature stove such as alcohol. It's such a bad conductor that you need more fuel in comparison with other pots do do the same cooking, and she'll end up having to carry more grams of additional fuel than she will save by using titanium  ::)
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 07:47:50 PM
Good to know... thanks for the info.  I know Ti is a lousy heat sink material from my flashlight experience... kinda dumb of me not to realize that with respect to cookware... :P

Fortunately, she's avoiding the Ti stuff because of its cost.  To me it doesn't make much difference, but she keeps reminding me that I'm a lot stronger than she is, so the weight is much more of an issue for her. 

That's really the one thing about her doing this trip that worries me... she's insisting on doing it alone.  Wants the challenge and the "me time"...  I've got no problem with that, but I still worry about her being out there on her own, and sometimes I feel like she's not being realistic in her risk assessment.  Regardless, I'm doing everything I can to be supportive and helpful of her goal with this, so I'll make sure to pass this on.

(She says I should worry more about taking care of the kids by myself for a whole week!   :ahhh )

Consider a SPOT if you're really concerned.  They are excellent if you have a view of the sky (ie no good for caving and limited use in canyoneering).  We insisted my daughter take one along when she would head out for climbing trips in CO, UT, NV, NM etc.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/  I think there are places that will rent these for short term use too.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 11:18:06 PM
I was just about to suggest that.  While discussing it a few weeks ago I think Jie pointed out one that didn't require a registration or service fee.

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 11:20:43 PM
Awesome!  Thanks for the info!  I'm going to make her get one and take it with her.

Thanks boss... I'll definitely look more into this... no matter the expense, I'll get her to get whatever will work best for her.  Her safety is priceless to me.

Thanks again for the info... you guys rock!   :tu:

Consider a SPOT if you're really concerned.  They are excellent if you have a view of the sky (ie no good for caving and limited use in canyoneering).  We insisted my daughter take one along when she would head out for climbing trips in CO, UT, NV, NM etc.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/  I think there are places that will rent these for short term use too.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:22:41 PM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 11:22:31 PM
I made the pilgrimage to the nearest IKEA a while back and have been fooling around with drainers. So far I have built three of them.

The first is made from the short drainer with a pot support made from 1/8" steel bar.

The second is shortened to nest with a Coleman Cookset from a tall drainer...I rolled the cut-edge slightly to stippen the rim. This is the one I've tinkered with most. Since I rarely get to burn wood, I've been turning it to use a Trangia burner as a primary heat source. Currently I've been experimenting with a strip of aluminum flashing placed inside to form a more effective windscreen for the alcohol stove.

The third is shortened to nest with an Imusa aluminum mug.

ikea_hobo101.jpg
* ikea_hobo101.jpg (Filesize: 22.44 KB)
ikea_hobo03.jpg
* ikea_hobo03.jpg (Filesize: 22.23 KB)
ikea_hobo06.jpg
* ikea_hobo06.jpg (Filesize: 21.47 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 11:24:35 PM
I was just about to suggest that.  While discussing it a few weeks ago I think Jie pointed out one that didn't require a registration or service fee.

Def

Here's the post from Jie:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,35810.msg577214.html#msg577214

Apparently it's a Canadian thing, but there should be similar services for other countries as well.

Def

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 11:27:53 PM
Rather than add support feet like I've seen others do, I used the cut-off pieces of the tall drainers.

I made slits down to the original holes and added a new row of vent holes. It's a pretty snug friction fit and after a couple of burn cycles, found it impossible to remove without damaging the strainer.

ikea_hobo04.jpg
* ikea_hobo04.jpg (Filesize: 22.39 KB)
ikea_hobo05.jpg
* ikea_hobo05.jpg (Filesize: 21.16 KB)

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 11:47:50 PM

Clever  :hatsoff:

Everything’s adjustable

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 11:50:05 PM
I've been refining this Coffee boiler setup since I got a new coffee mill. I've probably tried 8 or 9 variations of port sizes, hole patterns and flame gap so far with the Pepsi-G style stove

It's actually an aluminum greasepot of about 3 cups capacity. I used the strainer insert as a base for the pot stand...computer fan, stainless screws and hardware, aluminum tubing as spacers. The stand stows upside-down in the pot along with a roof flashing windscreen (not shown).

coffee_boiler01.jpg
* coffee_boiler01.jpg (Filesize: 19.8 KB)
coffee_boiler02.jpg
* coffee_boiler02.jpg (Filesize: 20.56 KB)
coffee_boiler03.jpg
* coffee_boiler03.jpg (Filesize: 20.62 KB)

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 12:14:29 AM

:o   I'm always amazed by your stuff Spork   :salute:

Everything’s adjustable

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 01:13:37 AM
This is probably my favorite homebuilt stove stand. It's my version of Risk's CoffeeStove

It's actually meant as a twig burner, but works well with alky stoves. I sized mine to fit in a BSA messkit billy...a notch in the rim of the can allows the original plastic cup to nest with the stove. The support arms stow on the bottom of the can...held in place with the plastic lid (which can be used as a mini cutting board)

The burners are my latest build using Miller Light canbottles (sturdier than standard soda cans). Slightly modified Pepsi-G build to provide a shoulder for the simmer ring to rest...really just an 1/8" higher inner wall. The un-moderated run time on an ounce of fuel is averaging 6-7 minutes (hard boil around 5). The ring doubles the burn time. I guess technically it's not a simmer ring, but I'm hoping it will moderate the heat output enough so that I don't burn my bacon  ::)

risks_coffeestove02.jpg
* risks_coffeestove02.jpg (Filesize: 17.95 KB)
risks_coffeestove03.jpg
* risks_coffeestove03.jpg (Filesize: 25.46 KB)
risks_coffeestove04.jpg
* risks_coffeestove04.jpg (Filesize: 18.97 KB)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 02:21:56 AM
We need a "Spork's camp stove setups" thread.

These are just amazingly clever variations on a theme and each has its own application.  Really smart design. :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%