Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Titanium Alox 93mm scales

us Offline bushidomosquito

Re: Titanium Alox 93mm scales
Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 03:16:22 AM
Hey Ombudsman, can you put that last one on this titanium 93 just for fun?
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 03:20:11 AM
I like this idea too. Vic steel is good stuff but having can and bottle openers, scissors, pliers, drivers, from heat treated D2 tool steel and blades of S30V or the current super steel when we get there would be epic. Kind of like surpassing the Multitasker in a SAK platform.

Be nice to see stay sharp ceramic main blades too, even if it was 2nd layer (ie one steel, one ceramic)
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 03:23:03 AM
Yes! Man, that's cool. What do you think Syph?

I think it looks really awesome!  Although it pretty much is a copy of the old SAK shield logo with a line through the +.

That it does. Different shield shape perhaps? http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=24705473

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 06:55:42 AM
Sure here is the latest one with the new shield

And a variation on the T's so it will not look just like a line through the +.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 06:10:15 PM
I like the first one but maybe you should re-think the second design

http://worldwar2aces.com/iron-cross.htm

And a variation on the T's so it will not look just like a line through the +.

(Image removed from quote.)

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 05:58:57 PM
I like the first one but maybe you should re-think the second design

http://worldwar2aces.com/iron-cross.htm

I think that is being a little overzealous... Most people wouldnt make the connection, and those that did only the smurfers will make some of it
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #36 on: April 06, 2012, 10:02:38 AM
Another variation of the Cross/T's with a maple leaf touch

And inspired by the Titanium Crystals a Latticed double +

Which stands for: +ransitional +ools

Reply #37 on: April 06, 2012, 01:19:55 PM
This is a lot of fun seeing you put those logos on my knives Ombudsman. I can't decide but that's OK because I need to remember what Syph said about changing the software and doing different textures and logos. We can have them all. It'll be fun to change them up every once in awhile.

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #38 on: April 06, 2012, 07:56:07 PM
Anytime ! if you need the vectors just send me message

Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 12:28:09 PM
I got some titanium from ebay that's been dubbed "Roswell ti" by Syph and I. It's alloy 6-6-2 instead of the usual 6-4. I get slightly less anti military industrial complex when some government bean counter places an order for 10,000 jet powered exploding wigets when super materials with a bottomless R&D budget end up on ebay as a result. You usually won't find this stuff unless you can pay a mill hundreds of thousands of $$$ to run you out a few tons. The seller that has access to this stuff had no idea that it's worth twice what I paid for it and was actually concerned that I wouldn't want it because it was "some strange alloy".

The specs: http://www.titaniumdistributor.com/titanium-6ai-6v-2sn-sta-910.html

Seems like all the applications for this alloy are the same no matter where I look it up. Bomb and missile cases and "ordinance" which is a fancy way of saying, "things that explode" and aircraft hardware applications. It occurred to me that the only place I'd seen the designation 6-6-2 was in bicycle crank bolts that were the last holdout to remain steel because of the direct force they take. This is the titanium that replaced the steel in a part that always had to be steel. People always say ti is stronger than steel but it never stacks up to optimally heat treated alloy steel unless you just have to shave that weight and don't really care about the cost. 
It feels strange to me when the weight and feel says titanium but a file on the edge says spring tempered stainless. Quite a bit stronger and harder than 6-4 titanium, almost 30 points harder on the Brinell scale than 6-4. Rockwell C hardness is at 44 which makes this alloy to titanium as s30v is to stainless steel.

I'm glad we have a laser to do the cutting, drilling and surface engraving because this stuff doesn't respond to tooling very much at all which is good because it won't respond to keys and change in your pocket very much either.

And speaking of surface engraving, for the first batch of 30 pairs of scales I'm shooting for something simple like this, http://swissbianco.ca/Newsletter/Images_NL1001/Alox_Technician.jpg
just an old cross and the checkering and whatever anodizing look this stuff likes to take on.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #40 on: May 24, 2012, 02:16:25 PM
I got some titanium from ebay that's been dubbed "Roswell ti" by Syph and I. It's alloy 6-6-2 instead of the usual 6-4. I get slightly less anti military industrial complex when some government bean counter places an order for 10,000 jet powered exploding wigets when super materials with a bottomless R&D budget end up on ebay as a result. You usually won't find this stuff unless you can pay a mill hundreds of thousands of $$$ to run you out a few tons. The seller that has access to this stuff had no idea that it's worth twice what I paid for it and was actually concerned that I wouldn't want it because it was "some strange alloy".

The specs: http://www.titaniumdistributor.com/titanium-6ai-6v-2sn-sta-910.html

Seems like all the applications for this alloy are the same no matter where I look it up. Bomb and missile cases and "ordinance" which is a fancy way of saying, "things that explode" and aircraft hardware applications. It occurred to me that the only place I'd seen the designation 6-6-2 was in bicycle crank bolts that were the last holdout to remain steel because of the direct force they take. This is the titanium that replaced the steel in a part that always had to be steel. People always say ti is stronger than steel but it never stacks up to optimally heat treated alloy steel unless you just have to shave that weight and don't really care about the cost. 
It feels strange to me when the weight and feel says titanium but a file on the edge says spring tempered stainless. Quite a bit stronger and harder than 6-4 titanium, almost 30 points harder on the Brinell scale than 6-4. Rockwell C hardness is at 44 which makes this alloy to titanium as s30v is to stainless steel.

I'm glad we have a laser to do the cutting, drilling and surface engraving because this stuff doesn't respond to tooling very much at all which is good because it won't respond to keys and change in your pocket very much either.

And speaking of surface engraving, for the first batch of 30 pairs of scales I'm shooting for something simple like this, http://swissbianco.ca/Newsletter/Images_NL1001/Alox_Technician.jpg
just an old cross and the checkering and whatever anodizing look this stuff likes to take on.
Thats kool!! cant wait to see the finished product,,  JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #41 on: May 24, 2012, 02:36:09 PM
Oh that description was gold!  I love the moniker Roswell Ti, that's what Ive been telling people at work we're making SAK scales from ufo grade titanium.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #42 on: May 25, 2012, 12:35:48 AM
What about something with those Ti concepts and the old style cross logo

This one - T and i and a person and Swiss-cross proportions - has my vote.   Go Ti !
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

us Offline clickstop

Reply #43 on: May 25, 2012, 02:23:59 AM
+1 on the Titanium atom logo, looks classy! Even better of you use the Lewis dot structure, make it look even cleaner

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: December 07, 2012, 04:20:23 AM
Any new developments on this? 

What about making 91mm aluminum scales?  That would be neat, screwed cellidor models.
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #45 on: December 07, 2012, 04:38:54 AM
Ive been trying to save up $ to fund a CNC mill so I can do this crazy stuff.  Im close, but not quite there.

Press fit alox 91 scales with hard anodizing are my first run, then 91s for screws.  I also have some nice brass so i can make some brassalox too.  :D  Lots of cool things to try, just not enough time!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: December 07, 2012, 05:40:58 AM
An alox climber would be pretty sweet!

As to the logo question.  If you are not trying to trademark a logo, the simple cross should be fine as it is very generic.  The Dutch knife has a cross and so do any number of Swiss or Christendom products:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=312&Itemid=35

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=126&Itemid=35

The Vic shield could be an issue though, I doubt they would come after you for limited modding though.  If you started scaling it up?!?
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 12:06:18 PM
Rather exciting stuff this... I think I would a little Roswell in my pocket :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99