Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG PowerAssist

J-sews · 53 · 11705

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: SOG PowerAssist
Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 10:17:34 PM
I think the covers are a great step forward :), I didn't have a powerlock long, but it convinced me that I didn't want to own such an ergonomic nightmare!

With the cover's I could be persuaded :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 10:19:29 PM
Assuming they did a UK legal version that is ::)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 10:20:08 PM
I think the covers are a great step forward :), I didn't have a powerlock long, but it convinced me that I didn't want to own such an ergonomic nightmare!

With the cover's I could be persuaded :)

I am quite keen on the Powerlock 2.0.  They seem to have solved nearly all the gripes that I had with the original.
I'm back!!

Reply #33 on: February 05, 2008, 10:22:27 PM
It's still going to be a right royal Pain in the proverbial to get the tools out of though :(

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: February 05, 2008, 10:24:40 PM
It's still going to be a right royal Pain in the proverbial to get the tools out of though :(

I suppose, but you could always just take those annoying flaps off and then it will only be as slow as any other inside opener.
I'm back!!

Reply #35 on: February 05, 2008, 10:26:08 PM

I suppose, but you could always just take those annoying flaps off and then it will only be as slow as any other inside opener.
But less comfortable :-\

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: February 05, 2008, 10:27:14 PM

But less comfortable :-\

I'm used to the PST and the Supertool mate, I don't even know the meaning of the word!
I'm back!!

Reply #37 on: February 05, 2008, 10:29:06 PM
I've been pampered by swisstools for too long :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: February 06, 2008, 01:17:08 AM

Whether the assisted opening blades turn out to be worthwhile or not, I'm hoping that the PowerAssist will open SOG's eyes to the idea of having ALL their blades and tools be outside opening.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline carl

Reply #39 on: February 06, 2008, 01:37:38 AM
I second that motion.  Outside openers all the way!

us Offline carl

Reply #40 on: February 06, 2008, 01:38:53 AM
By the way, did any of you who attended SHOT talk with SOG about outside openers?  What did they say?

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 02:03:10 AM
I think it is a winner. Plus they are keeping the V cutter on it!!
S

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #42 on: February 06, 2008, 02:04:45 AM
Oh ya and any more paladin tools In the works?
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: February 06, 2008, 02:09:46 AM
By the way, did any of you who attended SHOT talk with SOG about outside openers?  What did they say?

The guys I talked with were all focused on getting the bugs out of the PowerAssist mechanism. They really didn't comment about any innovations in the works beyond that.  :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: February 06, 2008, 02:11:16 AM
Oh ya and any more paladin tools In the works?

Ooops, I didn't ask. (Baaad Bob! :twak:)  Hopefully Def might have heard something.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #45 on: February 06, 2008, 09:06:48 PM
I don't know a darned thing about Paladin Tools...

But I can certainly try to find out since I have a contact there! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: February 07, 2008, 01:14:41 AM
Gotta be completely honest here, I had some trouble getting comfortable with the PowerAssist blade lock release. On all my other multitools that have locking blades, the blade release is right up there near your thumb and forefinger. Whether it be a liner lock (Leatherman) or a toggle lock (SOG, Leatherman) or a sliding lock bar (Gerber, Victorinox) they all can be released without repositioning the tool in your hand.

But with the PowerAssist, the blade release is positioned about halfway down the handle. It was a little awkward for me to operate quite frankly. The best I could manage was to reach down with my thumb, actuate the lock release, then fold the blade closed against the side of my leg. It felt a little clumsy. (but then again I'm not usually the most nimble person in the group!) :P

us Offline carl

Reply #47 on: February 07, 2008, 02:36:47 AM
Def,
1)  The handles look like the larger and longer PT-540 ones rather than the standard Powerlock size.  Is that right?
2)  Are the blades longer than standard?
thanks again for taking the time to post the great pics!

us Offline carl

Reply #48 on: February 07, 2008, 02:37:30 AM
actually i meant J-sews, sorry about that.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: February 17, 2008, 04:50:40 PM
I have just been reading through the UK knife law (yawn!) and I think the Powerassist will be legal to own in the UK.  What makes it legal (I think) is that to open the blade you have to push the thumb stud over so are therefore assisting with the opening of the blade.  What would make it illegal would be a button release which means that the user has no part of the actual movement of the blade and therefore this becomes a flick knife (or switchblade).

If anyone knows any different or can say for certain that the Powerassist is actually illegal to own in the UK (it is clearly illegal to EDC) then please do speak up so I don't go and buy one when the time comes and end up losing it.

Thanks

Benner
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: February 17, 2008, 05:05:10 PM
There are regular SOG folding knives with the assisted-opening feature, right? Have you seen where they are sold or owned in the UK?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: February 17, 2008, 05:11:55 PM
There are regular SOG folding knives with the assisted-opening feature, right? Have you seen where they are sold or owned in the UK?

I have just looked and Heinnie's (UK seller) sells the SOG Trident Tiger which is an assisted opener so going by that it looks like it is ok.  :-\

I think the problem is is that your average copper will still see an assisted opener an a flick knife and you will therefore still get done for it.  However, as the blade locks anyway, I would still need a damn good reason to carry it out in public so I would just have to be extra careful.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #52 on: February 17, 2008, 05:16:12 PM

I have just looked and Heinnie's (UK seller) sells the SOG Trident Tiger which is an assisted opener so going by that it looks like it is ok.  :-\

I think the problem is is that your average copper will still see an assisted opener an a flick knife and you will therefore still get done for it.  However, as the blade locks anyway, I would still need a damn good reason to carry it out in public so I would just have to be extra careful.

Although you may get brought in by the officer its not their job to decide whether the knife is legal, it would go to court and they would decide there if it was a problem with the knife. Or at least thats how i'm aware it works. But you hit the nail on the head with the "ignorance" of the officer in question (that is not a slur on any officers but a truth that not every officer will know the difference between an assisted and auto opening knife)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%