Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox RescueTool, what a great multi

Offline MacTech

Victorinox RescueTool, what a great multi
on: February 03, 2008, 09:59:19 PM
On a whim, I stopped off at my local sporting goods shop yesterday, it's been a while since i had last purchased a knife or multi, at least 6 months, so I was overdue, as I'm looking at the shop's selection of Leatherman tools and Spyderco knives, a set of screaming yellow scales catch my eye, in the counter display, they have a Vic Rescue Tool

I've seen the footage of the RT in action on Vic's website, and it looked like a rather unique tool, I've always liked the "big" Vics, like the OHT, and this Vic had a far more interesting set of tools than the OHT, particularly the glassbreak and the glass saw, I really liked how the seatbelt cutter was designed so it could be opened even with gloved hands, everything seemed well constructed, the knife was easily "SpyderDropped" due to the mass of the body, so even opening the main blade can be opened with gloved hands

I hope I won't ever need to use the glassbreak or glass saw to extricate myself from my car, but it's also a handy tool to have if i ever am the first arrival to a motorist trapped in their car, yes, the chances of that are also very slim, but it's nice to be prepared

Yes, as has been described elswhere here (by Def?) the sheath is definitely......loud, and would look more in place on a Ronald McDonald costume (the McVic? ;)

The knife itself is very solidly built, and heavier than expected, it has a nice selection of basic tools

the Glassbreak tip is very solidly built, and looks like it could also work well as a self-defense pain-compliance tool

the StayGlow feature is also pretty cool, it charges up quickly with my UV Minimag, and eventually settles down to a nice baseline glow that lasts all night

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox RescueTool, what a great multi
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 10:07:13 PM
Oh, you got the new one! Nice!

I've been liking the Rescue more and more as I carry it. It has that slightly adventurous air to it, designed for tasks not so pedestrian as the typical multi-tool.

P.S. You forgot to open the awl in pic # 4 ;)

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 10:44:44 PM
I carry mine for the same reasons.I drive a truck and unfortunatley,self extrication is a real possibility.A good replacement sheath if your are interested is the knifecase/single magazine carrier from Bianchi's Accumold line.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Offline toytoy

Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 12:22:32 AM
Would you put it in a place so the tool can be "charged" by the sun?

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 12:47:55 AM
Did you buy it at KTP?
B

Offline MacTech

Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 03:53:23 AM
Ayuh, KTP was the place

Offline Speaker

Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 07:58:16 AM
I'm a little confused :) Why is there a bottle opener on a Rescue Tool? :)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 08:04:14 AM
Because fire fighters deserve a drink after what they go through!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Speaker

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 08:35:42 AM
Because fire fighters deserve a drink after what they go through!

Def
that's what I thought :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 03:05:29 PM
Well in addition to that, the bottle opener also has a lock and a heavy duty pin in it and is meant to be used for prying jobs.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Speaker

Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 03:41:47 PM
Well in addition to that, the bottle opener also has a lock and a heavy duty pin in it and is meant to be used for prying jobs.

Def
yeah... we all can find a few excuses for having a bottle opener handy ;)
However, I don't use it to open bottles - instead I use all sorts of things: knives, keys, another bottle, etc. It happens much faster than taking out a multitool/SAK, opening the bottle opener.
We have a saying here: If you open bottles with a bottle opener, you're getting older ;)
Of course, there are situation where using a bottle opener is a politically correct way to open a bottle.

getting a bit off topic... Do you guys always open bottles with bottle openers?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 04:29:01 PM
I use a bottle opener for opening bottles a lot of the time.  Twist off caps aren't always easy to twist off and I once got a jagged slice in my palm from a bottle that didn't want to be opened!

Def

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 04:40:03 PM
Works great to knock the safety seal in on a bottle of windshield washer fluid.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Offline kreskin13

Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 09:19:26 PM
I bought one and it resides in my Prius. I got it for an emergency should I happen upon an accident or are involved in one myself. I need all the help I can get and the Rescue Tool certainly looks up to the task.

I like the loud pouch, in an emergency situation I want to be able to locate it quick. Same thing as the scales on the knife, more likely that emergency will happen in the dark instead of bright sunlight. I want anybody and everbody to be able to find it!

Calvin
[

Offline MacTech

Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 11:58:12 PM
The glassbreaker works incredibly well, I was replacing the glass panel on a new iMac, so I had a defective glass panel that was going to get thrown out, what a perfect test for the RT glassbreaker

the iMac glass panel is untempered, so I wrapped it safely in an anti-static bag, and put it on a soft ESD mat

I let my co-worker have the "First Strike" on the glass panel, as he had just gotten hit by a drunk driver last night, totalled his car, the drunkie was uninsured, and speeding on icy roads and ended up totalling his car, so he had a *little* rage to work out

He hit the glass dead center, and it shattered perfectly, he actually enjoyed it, I took a second strike at a relatively undamaged corner, and basically turned the glass into powder.....

my co-worker's response to that was
"whoa, you've got some anger issues there, MacTech", I couldn't help but grin and say "that felt good, what else can I smash....."

glassbreaking functionality confirmed, the point of the glassbreak has been flattened slightly due to the two impacts, I'm trying to re-point it with my Spyderco Sharpmaker, but it'd just be easier to buy a new glassbreaker, after all, they are replaceable

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 12:14:59 AM
Nice piece you got there. But I got to ask was it a new one? or one of the used that they sell?

Also is Cabelllas open in Scarborough yet?
S

Offline MacTech

Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 01:04:38 AM
It was new, no idea on the Cabelas thing though

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 01:57:18 AM
How difficult is it to pop the saw blade off and on?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 02:11:27 AM
Easy if you have a table or something hard to push against. Just brace the exposed tip of the saw (whilst closed) and give a good push and it pops out. Line it up in the closed position and push the tang and it pops back in.

One may be able to pop it out with their hands but it looks painful to attempt.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 03:17:58 AM
Hawk, I don't think so.. But BassPro is open and it is amazing!
B

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 03:33:43 AM
Actually going there on monday. I cant wait to see the stuff and spend some major cash>>>
S

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD