Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Pocket Sharpener

Dunc · 11 · 8645

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
on: April 09, 2012, 10:56:14 AM
I'm thinking about getting a Vic Pocket Sharpener as seen here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-4-3323-Pocket-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B000AR7AKG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333961064&sr=8-1

How do these compare to a Spyderco Sharpmaker for SAK blades and what about Vic serrated blades ?

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Pocket Sharpener
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 12:47:01 PM
Never used one, would like one just because....

I don't see how you can compare it to a sharpmaker which is a totally different animal and it won't fit in your pocket.  Speaking of which if this one was even smaller it would be easiert to carry along side a SAK, but the large size might make it a bit more versitile for other larger knives.

Overall though one should compare it to other similar style sharpeners like the Accusharp, or the similar Smiths models.  Having both a ceramic stone and the V carbide sharpeners in one package is nice, but I'd take the Smiths Jiffy Pro if the larger size was not a concern.  DMT have some small awesome diamond stones, but no V Carbide.

SAKs are relatively easy to sharpen so performance wise I have no reason to believe it's not as good as the person using the stone. It should work as well as this style can, which is pretty good for a SAK.

So I think it comes down to what you get in the package this size.  I think I've seen similar, if not the same, sharpener under other brands.

It's a nice easy to carry sharpener that would be good stashed in a pack, or in a pocket.

england Offline macabee

Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 01:41:18 PM
I have a Vic Pocket Knife Sharpener pretty good item of kit, it appears that the 'V' ceramics are set at the correct angle, plus it does come with a standard ceramic 'steel'

I have had no problems with it, whilst I have not used it on a serrated blade, I do have the Wenger sharpener that does the business.

Worth the price though :salute:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 01:58:09 PM

I don't see how you can compare it to a sharpmaker which is a totally different animal and it won't fit in your pocket.

What I was trying to say was if I used it would it undo any work I had done with the Sharpmaker i.e change the angle .But macabee has said the angle of the V ceramics are set up for Vics blades so thats good . Just wonder what its going to do to a Spirit blade  :think:

us Offline Grateful

Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 02:50:55 PM
 looks pretty cool i would like to try one
jim

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 01:12:04 AM
works pretty good, it is good for serrations too, go for it!  :tu:
custom swiss army knives

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 02:04:31 PM
I've had one of those Vic sharpeners for a while Dunc, and I love it  :tu: It lives in my backpack as my primary "on the move" sharpener, but more often that not it's what I reach for first when at home too.

Serrations I'm not experienced with. I picked up a Skipper at one of our outings at the UK meet this weekend but I've already tweaked the serrations using a sharpener that Farmman got this weekend too (first time I've ever had a crack at sharpening serrations  :-[ ). Glad to hear it's got Sidhartha's nod of approval, and I might have a go at part of the blade to see how it compares with what I used this weekend. Can't remember what it was, but I know it isn't what HK was calling it ...  :whistle:

I've never used a Sharpmaker, so have no idea how they compare  :-\

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 05:40:14 PM

I've never used a Sharpmaker, so have no idea how they compare  :-\

Sharpmaker is nice because it is inherently easy to get the sharpening angle right because all you do is keep the blade vertical. It comes with medium and fine stones, which are all you need for SAKs. I bought the coarse diamond stones too, as I have other knives with terrible factory grinds that need coarseness to correct them.

However, the Sharpmaker seems to be larger and heavier than this little dandy, so it isn't really comparable. It weighs enough that I wouldn't want to always be carrying it in my bag. I leave mine in my kitchen junk drawer, and wait until I get home to sharpen.

There are cheaper versions of the Sharpmaker; I have two. They are not as well-engineered as the Sharpmaker, and only include one set of stones. Even the original design, Crock Sticks, is not as good.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 07:52:15 PM
I prefer the lansky 4 rod crock stick turnbox over the sharpmaker 10 to 1. As it appears somes MMV. :think: :shrug:

Sent from Ash forum mobile

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 07:43:09 AM
Anyone know where I can get it in the USA?  Amazon has one from the secondary market but it is extremely overpriced.

Cheers
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 09:11:05 AM
Any other pull type of sharpener would be great as well as long as it if fixed at 30 degress (15*2).

Cheers
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%