Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The SAK Whittling Club

Smaug · 696 · 73522

wales Offline caninesapien

Re: The SAK Whittling Club
Reply #210 on: January 24, 2017, 12:29:11 PM
Apologies for the silly question! Has anyone ever tried sharpening the screwdriver end of the SAK can opener? I was thinking it might make a decent gouging tool for whittling? Is this even possible? Thanks!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #211 on: January 24, 2017, 12:36:38 PM
Apologies for the silly question! Has anyone ever tried sharpening the screwdriver end of the SAK can opener? I was thinking it might make a decent gouging tool for whittling? Is this even possible? Thanks!
Yes! There's all sorts of sharpening you can do on the SAK tools. I have an 84mm Recruit that I sharpened the tools on especially for whittling. The Recruit has no back tools and so is very comfortable to use for any length of time.
WP_20170124_011 by magpie2112, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:45:02 PM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Reply #212 on: January 24, 2017, 12:52:27 PM
Fantastic! Thanks magentus! I was considering trying it last night but thought it best to check here first.

Did you sharpen those edges on a sharpening stone or did it need something else?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #213 on: January 24, 2017, 12:55:27 PM
Fantastic! Thanks magentus! I was considering trying it last night but thought it best to check here first.

Did you sharpen those edges on a sharpening stone or did it need something else?
I just used the diamond edge of my DC4 stone to start with and finished with the finer side. SAK's are very forgiving - you could use a file to start and a stone to finish. I managed to get a razor edge on both tools, and the best bit is they will still function as intended if you're careful.

Reply #214 on: January 24, 2017, 02:54:55 PM
Fantastic! I will definitely be having a go at this soon. Seems just the right size for some of the detailing I want to do on future whittling projects. Thanks!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #215 on: January 24, 2017, 02:56:47 PM
No Problemo!  :cheers:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #216 on: January 24, 2017, 08:40:22 PM
I found some unfinished whittling projects from a few years back. I may have to give it a go at finishing them. I also want to start a canoe and oars.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #217 on: January 25, 2017, 06:12:22 PM
My Whittling knives and some works in progress

Schrade 34OT (carbon steel) USA made
Vic Super Tinker w/ split ring and ring holder removed
Two Flexcut knives
Last, the longer,  fixed  blade knife, was bought off a well known auction site, handmade by seller ( Can't remember name at present)   

Plus  a Flexcut tool with multiple attachments for the handle

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:19:44 PM by Marcellus »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #218 on: January 25, 2017, 06:14:59 PM
Yes! There's all sorts of sharpening you can do on the SAK tools. I have an 84mm Recruit that I sharpened the tools on especially for whittling. The Recruit has no back tools and so is very comfortable to use for any length of time.
WP_20170124_011 by magpie2112, on Flickr
Interesting,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #219 on: January 27, 2017, 04:11:00 AM
Slowly carving out a canoe with the Swisschamp.  I like how that big guy fits in the hand and that chisel makes short order of soft wood.
IMG_20170126_220316.jpg
* IMG_20170126_220316.jpg (Filesize: 190.89 KB)
Barry

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #220 on: January 27, 2017, 10:10:40 AM
 :popcorn:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #221 on: February 02, 2017, 08:35:46 PM
 :popcorn:
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Danjo

Reply #222 on: February 02, 2017, 09:00:11 PM
Just playing around with a branch I picked up.
IMG_20170202_115836.jpg
* IMG_20170202_115836.jpg (Filesize: 65.01 KB)
"There always seems to be a way to fix things." - MacGyver

Reply #223 on: February 02, 2017, 09:07:31 PM
I'm waiting for the wet weather to stop for a minute so I can find some dry wood!

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #224 on: February 02, 2017, 09:23:44 PM
I'm waiting for the wet weather to stop for a minute so I can find some dry wood!
Is there any dry wood to find in Wales? You might try your hand at soapstone instead!
(Or maybe fruits and veggies, see e.g. Mutita EdibleArt at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-C7YqQCvJ-2EUUyH7iOStw).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 09:26:25 PM by Ronald Schröder »

Reply #225 on: February 02, 2017, 09:37:56 PM
Is there any dry wood to find in Wales? You might try your hand at soapstone instead!
(Or maybe fruits and veggies, see e.g. Mutita EdibleArt at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-C7YqQCvJ-2EUUyH7iOStw).

Maybe I should try coal whittling instead :)

Reply #226 on: February 02, 2017, 09:38:20 PM
Should have said - not my pic obviously! For illustrative purposes only haha

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #227 on: February 11, 2017, 05:26:16 PM
Spoon gouge mod

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #228 on: February 11, 2017, 08:31:31 PM
Spoon gouge mod

Miss! He batoned with a slipjoint! I'm telling!

Great vid  :tu:

us Offline george c

Re: The SAK Whittling Club...I'm going to try again.
Reply #229 on: February 12, 2017, 08:02:17 AM
Hi Folks,

Over the years I've tried to "whittle." Results have been so so...and, I never stuck with it. Anyway, going to give it a try again.

I've tried to whittle "Little People" and wood spirits. Enjoyed both. "Carving the Little Guys" by Keith Randich is available used. I think it's a great book and goes step by step.

Not sure what the policy is about putting links here, but just bought 20 pieces, basswood, 1x1x5 for $12.50 that includes shipping.

Best regards,

George
http://georgecallender.blogspot.com/ This may give you a few laughs.

http://bluehighwaysofvirginia.blogspot.com/ Another ordinary blog.

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #230 on: February 15, 2017, 01:59:48 PM
Great thread this. I think I will have a go at converting a SAK to a whittling tool.
Next time I see some battered SAK in the thriftshop I will pick one (or two) up.

Carving the Little Guys by Keith Randich looks to be a great book. He also has other books about whittling.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

Reply #231 on: February 16, 2017, 12:17:18 AM

A little mushroom/toadstool I did earlier today. Doesn't look like much but I'm pleased with it!

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #232 on: February 16, 2017, 01:30:03 AM
 :like:

This makes me happy. Nice job, nice pic.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #233 on: February 16, 2017, 08:16:26 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

A little mushroom/toadstool I did earlier today. Doesn't look like much but I'm pleased with it!

Very cool.
I'm the milk man!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #234 on: February 16, 2017, 09:51:12 AM
That's a cool project C-Unit  :cheers: I'm glad you whittled an non-poisonous one.   :tu:

Reply #235 on: February 20, 2017, 11:01:37 AM
Thanks all! I painted the little mushroom on the weekend too, quite pleased with how it turned out!

Anyone have any experience with woodcuts/wood printing? I experimented a little on the weekend and got mixed results - and apologies for off-topic discussion - i tried a little with linocuts as well and am fairly happy with how they turned out. At work at the moment but will post pics later!

With more intricate whittling designs, I'm having trouble getting good thin clean cuts, even with a variety of good, sharp knives - there seems to be always splinters and jagged edges. Is this "normal"? Would it be best to leave that stuff for sanding/filing at the very end of the project?

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #236 on: February 20, 2017, 05:53:34 PM
Thanks all! I painted the little mushroom on the weekend too, quite pleased with how it turned out!

Anyone have any experience with woodcuts/wood printing? I experimented a little on the weekend and got mixed results - and apologies for off-topic discussion - i tried a little with linocuts as well and am fairly happy with how they turned out. At work at the moment but will post pics later!

With more intricate whittling designs, I'm having trouble getting good thin clean cuts, even with a variety of good, sharp knives - there seems to be always splinters and jagged edges. Is this "normal"? Would it be best to leave that stuff for sanding/filing at the very end of the project?

Perhaps it's the choice of wood?

https://letterpresscommons.com/wood-cut/

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #237 on: February 20, 2017, 06:00:30 PM

I'm not entirely sure what you mean and besides I'm hardly an expert whittler but I hope I can offer some insight anyway. First of all it's the material, some woods, will never take very crisp features. This seems to be the natural state of some woods while others become like this due to exposure to the elements. Second factor I would guess on is the edge grind. To make really thin cuts you kind of want to slice of the material, so any grind style that works well for that should work fine, I prefer either a Scandi-grind or a full flat (much like you would see on a kitchen knife). Either will take a micro-bevel since I do honing on a honing steel but they will be extremely small compared to what is normally seen on production knives (you'd be hard pressed to see them with bare eyes).

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #238 on: February 21, 2017, 12:12:27 PM
Going in the right direction relative to the grain is important too, I would think.  I'm no carver but I know when you plane a board, it will plain smoothly in one direction, but in the opposite direction you get lots of tear-out of the grain.  Imagine the wood fibres as a bundle of straws, lying in the direction of the grain lines.  If cut as though you're smoothing them down, they will cut smoothly.  If you go in the opposite direction, the blade will tend to slide between the fibres and lift them up.

Reply #239 on: February 21, 2017, 02:02:22 PM
Thanks for the replies all. I'm doing my best to carve with the grain, but when I'm getting into more intricate sections (e.g. on the small wood spirit I carved recently, I found I was having trouble with the contours of the face), I find that trying to go with the grain can be difficult and i would end up getting splinters which ruins the finer details. I'm using basswood planks for practice and they have been fine. Maybe I just need more practice! Thanks again all.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%