Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The SAK Whittling Club

Smaug · 696 · 72946

us Offline hard.times.lures

Re: The SAK Whittling Club
Reply #330 on: March 17, 2018, 02:59:48 PM
Sorry, but I don't know about other models.  I first read that the two knives I mentioned had a different steel in the blades.  However, I talked to a Vic expert and he told me that it was higher rockwell.

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #331 on: March 18, 2018, 12:47:08 AM
Sorry, but I don't know about other models.  I first read that the two knives I mentioned had a different steel in the blades.  However, I talked to a Vic expert and he told me that it was higher rockwell.
Ok, can't find anything about it online

whittled out of binary code using Tapatalk

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #332 on: March 19, 2018, 04:33:06 PM
Currently working on a gift. I bought this terribly abused executive that was clogged up with muck and such, really cheap.

I have realigned the liners, bevels, etc and started working on scales. I wanted a Norse mythology theme to it. This side will have the "Midgard snake/wyrm", big enough to circle the earth. One day the etter of its bite will kill Thor after the eventually kills it himself, during Ragnarøk.

I'm nowhere near complete but wanted to update the thread to keep it visible for others that also love combination of sak+ whittling but might not have seem those thread yet.

I will have too remove some of the liner where the gap of the snake is. Also after cutting away some on the head I realised it no longer looked the same way. Now out looks like a cat head haha.

Other side will probably depict the human lifespan by having symbols for Thor linking Odin and Freya. These three tend to show up in that order during archeology finds.

Reason is said to be that Freya (Freja) is symbolic for the birth of life, nature etc (her name shows up in at least Swedish as related to the word "seed", frö ).

Thor (Tor) is symbolic for the lifespan of man. Chaos, war and the will to live.

Odin  (Oden) is symbolic for wisdom, age, death and knowledge.

So I want to have Odin and Freya on each side of the scale and Thor in the middle.

I will leave the Midgard snake scale and start with the other scale now. Wish me luck!

Have a great start of the week!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #333 on: March 19, 2018, 04:36:01 PM
Looks amazing Stoneshank  :cheers: I love this thread and really look forward to your latest offering.  :like:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #334 on: March 19, 2018, 05:35:03 PM
"Google is your friend" department. Checking wiki, art and tattoos for things to be more or less inspired by.

Doodling with pen on wood. I can't find something that looks like Freya - she is more depicted by her attributes rather than her herself. Cats drawing her carriages, brisingamen necklace and the rose-hip. I think I'll go with the rose. Cats... no.

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #335 on: March 19, 2018, 06:19:48 PM
"Google is your friend" department. Checking wiki, art and tattoos for things to be more or less inspired by.

Doodling with pen on wood. I can't find something that looks like Freya - she is more depicted by her attributes rather than her herself. Cats drawing her carriages, brisingamen necklace and the rose-hip. I think I'll go with the rose. Cats... no.(Image removed from quote.)

Looking forward to seeing it finished

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #336 on: March 19, 2018, 09:34:43 PM
Semi done with the whittling part.

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #337 on: March 22, 2018, 12:30:38 AM
Impressive stuff, apologies if i missed it but what wood is that? most of my whittling is done with a bandsaw or scrollsaw but i would love to give this a try, just think it would be easier if i had the right wood  :tu:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #338 on: March 22, 2018, 02:14:33 AM
I honestly have no idea. I cut of branches from dead/fallen trees. This piece was from a young branch some neighbors dropped of in a "here, you throw this away". I've oiled the scales now and also torched them a bit to get some shade going. Wrong spam the thread with pictures though, figure I wait until the whole thing is done.

~ if you're not good, be creative ~

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #339 on: March 22, 2018, 09:56:20 PM
Tried to make a somewhat decent  looking gif of an owl I made but I think I borked it
 Ah well

Whittled owl

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:59:31 PM by stoneshank »

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #340 on: March 23, 2018, 03:55:13 AM
Completed two projects today. One is a (or at least tried to be) a barnowl. The other is a new set of scales four a badly beaten executive named "HUGH" , if one are to believe the name burnt onto the previous abused, red  scales. Scroll past this post about that one!

Things got a bit crazy though and in the process I cut off the beak! Not to worry though, I made it a new, indestructible, beak out of metal!

I always find myself in need of learning more about proportions but I am reasonably happy this time around

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #341 on: March 23, 2018, 04:17:32 AM
[Continues from previous post]

The second project that, at least I think it is, got completed today is a new set of scales to an old beater executive that I paid sub ten dollars for on eBay.

I wanted to make a Norse mythology (Scandinavian religion before we bought into Christianity and started buying Japanese cars). I find quite a lot of beauty in polytheistic religions. So I wanted to depict two motives. One is the Midgard snake. One of the giant creatures on earth. It's said to be so long it reaches the tip of its tail around the earth.

I admit it's head turned kind of cat like. Not really intended, but meow...

The second side depicts the lifespan of man.

The rose-hip it's a common symbol of Freya. Goddess of fertility, giver of life etc she is often shown first.

The second is Thor. I chose the easy way by making his trademark "Mjölnir" .The chaos of him in short is in the context meant to show life lived.

The third in order is a helmet with one eye lacking. Showing Odin, god of wisdom, knowledge. In this context symbolizing the late part of life and eventually death.

I had some free room around the hammer and I moved some signs out of the crowded hammer. Sadly it came out as the "S" on a violin!

So I went with plan b. Both Freya and Odin has a spear. I did my best to cover the violin marks and tbh.. it didn't pan out that well.

All in all I found the project fun to do and I learned a ton! The scales are not really practical and the knife itself is pretty much at its end anyway. I tried to show how think it is in the third picture.

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 04:18:39 AM by stoneshank »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #342 on: March 23, 2018, 08:23:48 AM
That owl is amazing!!   :like: :tu:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #343 on: March 23, 2018, 05:59:54 PM
Thanks, El Screwendo!

Made a snail today because I got lots of important stuff to do today and I procrastinate all the time.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:31:54 PM by stoneshank »

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #345 on: March 23, 2018, 06:44:28 PM
I honestly have no idea. I cut of branches from dead/fallen trees. This piece was from a young branch some neighbors dropped of in a "here, you throw this away". I've oiled the scales now and also torched them a bit to get some shade going. Wrong spam the thread with pictures though, figure I wait until the whole thing is done.

Thanks, looks like a nice wood to work with, love the owl  :tu:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #346 on: March 25, 2018, 09:53:01 PM
Thanks, El Screwendo!

Made a snail today because I got lots of important stuff to do today and I procrastinate all the time.

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
:like: :like:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #347 on: March 26, 2018, 12:44:45 AM
Great stuff, Stoneshank!  :like:

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #348 on: March 26, 2018, 02:52:05 AM
Very nicely done! and thanks for the extra info on your SAKs  :salute:

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #349 on: March 26, 2018, 11:20:23 PM
Very nicely done! and thanks for the extra info on your SAKs  :salute:
No problem! Mind you I am a novice at modding knives. Lots of innocent Saks lose their lives in my venture into the area.

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #350 on: March 27, 2018, 04:59:29 PM
Testing out the 100mm rumored I harder steel, retentionwise, and I think it's true. Chisel grinds always become super sharp but this one also keeps an edge way longer than my other Victorinox knives so far.

Reshaped the blade to become shorter (4cm) as well as preferred wharncliffe

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #351 on: March 27, 2018, 05:18:47 PM
Wow stoneshank that is some gorgeous work  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #352 on: March 27, 2018, 05:26:17 PM
Thanks! I've been at it since fall, so going to awaken more experienced (or less too ofc) SAK whittler's!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #353 on: March 28, 2018, 04:29:01 AM
Testing out the 100mm rumored I harder steel, retentionwise, and I think it's true. Chisel grinds always become super sharp but this one also keeps an edge way longer than my other Victorinox knives so far.

Reshaped the blade to become shorter (4cm) as well as preferred wharncliffe(Image removed from quote.)

:like: :tu:

+1 It really is!  I must ask though, is the wrapping on your finger covering up a whittling accident?

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #354 on: March 28, 2018, 04:49:34 AM
 Generally . Bandaid are usually. But as of late I've startedv using them for hot shots preemptively. The ones in this photo though isn't bandaid but something a friend made for me as she was getting tired of seeing me carve into skin too often

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #355 on: March 28, 2018, 04:59:26 AM
Sounds like a great friend!  :D  :salute:

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #356 on: March 28, 2018, 05:12:33 AM
Yeah well they are breaking apart so I'm not sure

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #357 on: March 28, 2018, 05:19:53 AM

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #358 on: March 28, 2018, 01:42:11 PM

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #359 on: April 01, 2018, 09:20:48 PM
Trying to whittle a Tarsier ape, already feeling like I'm out on deep water

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!