Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The SAK Whittling Club

Smaug · 696 · 72521

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: The SAK Whittling Club
Reply #600 on: November 04, 2018, 05:46:33 PM

Good movie, great free hand for sure!  :like:
You are doing very well.  :hatsoff:

:iagree:
next up, the nuns! :D
The nuns...oh boy...and do you have a favorite? The one with the rocket launcher, or.... :dunno:

all good, just different  ;)
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #601 on: November 05, 2018, 03:46:52 AM
Thank you, these tips are actually really helpful. :cheers:

The elephant is a gift for my gf, when i see her, if she likes it, I will post a pic
Yesterday in the meanwhile I tried to go “free hand” and I did this 47 from “hitman”. That’s pine and not basswood. I didn’t notice much of a difference. It just seemed to have more knots. I still have to understand a lot of things, as you can see
:cheers:
. (Image removed from quote.)

:like:

I reckon she's going to be very happy with her Elephant  :tu:

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #602 on: November 05, 2018, 05:39:04 AM
I think I've done enough with this little bear. I could give him some v-cuts for fur, but the wood grain kind of looks like fur anyway. I'm pretty happy as a first attempt

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

:like: :like: :tu: :tu:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #603 on: November 05, 2018, 09:06:02 AM
:SAKnight: This is interesting. A Hiker SAK, Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Whittling Book and a pair of Level 5 gloves (gloves optional, but HIGHLY recommend for me) is it and bingo let the fun (or hilarious mistakes) begin?
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

ch Offline ghiekorg

Reply #604 on: November 05, 2018, 09:20:43 AM
Thank you everyone.  :cheers:

(gloves optional, but HIGHLY recommend for me)
I couldn't agree more. I would be at the hospital probably if i didn't use them.  :D
First of all, without them, it's much more painful, for me, to push the blade through the wood after whittling for long. But the most important thing is, of course, the protection from cuts. Yesterday i was using the large blade and i can't remember how but it closed really hard clapping my fingers. My gloves have a kind of gummy cut-resistent coat, well, the blade cut it but didn't cut the whole glove. I guess without them now i would have, at least, stitches on my fingers.   

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #605 on: November 05, 2018, 09:50:31 AM
 :SAKnight: I will have to seek guidance from a 'higher authority' about spending some money and joining in the fun whittling. She's asleep right now and if have fresh coffee ready for when she wakes I might stand a chance. If not, it will have to wait a bit, but I will join in with the SAK Whittling Club.

Most of the wood around here is mesquite, so I will have to start harvesting some pieces and leave them laying around the house.  >:D
The SAK Whittling Club |

ch Offline ghiekorg

Reply #606 on: November 05, 2018, 10:07:21 AM
:SAKnight: I will have to seek guidance from a 'higher authority' about spending some money and joining in the fun whittling. She's asleep right now and if have fresh coffee ready for when she wakes I might stand a chance. If not, it will have to wait a bit, but I will join in with the SAK Whittling Club.

Most of the wood around here is mesquite, so I will have to start harvesting some pieces and leave them laying around the house.  >:D

That seems a good plan  ;)  :salute:
I don't know mesquite that well, but seems quite an hard wood. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test
i bought a 5x5x100cm stick of pine or similar for 1,5$. Here basswood is difficult to find, they only sell a 8x8x12cm block for 5$.
I am using a tinker at the moment but i will buy a recruit today, because of the flat back, and i will cut off the keychain ring holder (it's the most annoying thing to me, it's right behind the small blade and pushes against my thumb). I would love to use a 93 alox but none has a small blade (apart from the settler, but i have none).

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #607 on: November 05, 2018, 01:25:54 PM
 :SAKnight: Such a push over, I just had to ply her with some fresh coffee AND then I had to get on my knees and 'sit up' like a dog and beg pitifully! IT WORKED. Order placed and I should have a new SAK Hiker, SAK Whittling book, protective gloves and a few pieces of basswood to get me started. I will have to start harvesting some mesquite and give it time of dry. I guess I don't need to resort to such a lowly tactic as leaving fresh cut mesquite pieces all over the house!   >:D Not that I would ever do such a thing. >:D
The SAK Whittling Club |

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #608 on: November 05, 2018, 02:33:52 PM
 :rofl:
Glad it worked out!

ch Offline ghiekorg

Reply #609 on: November 05, 2018, 09:59:18 PM
I just finished my whittling knife.  :ahhh
i bought a recruit, i cut out the keyring ring, i cut the main blade to make it short and pointy and then i made some thick wooden scales to have better grip. I will let you know how it works
unnamed.jpg
* unnamed.jpg (Filesize: 85.31 KB)

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #610 on: November 05, 2018, 10:16:11 PM
i bought a recruit, i cut out the keyring ring, i cut the main blade to make it short and pointy and then i made some thick wooden scales to have better grip. I will let you know how it works
Very nice :tu:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #611 on: November 05, 2018, 10:36:05 PM
Cool

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #612 on: November 05, 2018, 11:05:14 PM
:tu:
Looking forward to seeing not only how the knife works for you, but also the art the you craft with it.
The SAK Whittling Club |

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #613 on: November 06, 2018, 12:18:51 AM
 :iagree:  nice job on the knife ghiekorg  :cheers: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

ch Offline ghiekorg

Reply #614 on: November 06, 2018, 04:15:28 AM
Here is the first whittling using the new knife. The new blade is really amazing, much better that the spear point one. I can cut more precisely and deep. It also feels really good in my hand.

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #615 on: November 06, 2018, 06:35:47 AM
 :2tu::   :like:   :2tu:
The SAK Whittling Club |

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #616 on: November 06, 2018, 12:02:14 PM

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #617 on: November 06, 2018, 12:27:51 PM
Nice work ghiekorg  :like: :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #618 on: November 06, 2018, 01:23:00 PM
 :iagree: :like:

ch Offline ghiekorg

Reply #619 on: November 06, 2018, 02:49:31 PM
Thank you everyone  :cheers:  :SAKnight: :drink:

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #620 on: November 07, 2018, 12:21:51 AM
My order has arrived. YEAH! :woohoo: Now I need to start with some reading and getting ready to put knowledge into practical application.

The SAK Whittling Club |

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #621 on: November 07, 2018, 05:11:46 AM
Excellent and congratulations on your kit!  :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #622 on: November 07, 2018, 12:22:31 PM
Nice one Grandpa  :like: :tu:

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #623 on: November 09, 2018, 01:02:34 AM
So I have started working on my first project. I have asked 'CINCHOME' (Commander in Charge, Home a.k.a. WIFE) if we had a brown sheet and a brown towel that was extra. Why? of course was the expected response and I had prepared for this mission. I explain how placing a towel over the bottom half of my chair with the excess material covering the floor at my feet could catch any lose flying pieces that might escape the towel on my lap. She of course agreed with this, as it would mean 'no mess on HER carpet'. So I did some whittling last night, just a bit to get started. I learned that I needed an apron. So today I was in the process of tying ...

when she came home. And of course I got the usual 'what are you doing now' quizzical look and verbal question. So I showed her and then had her take this photo...

while she was taking hold of the camera she made a comment "After watching you last night I was going to get you an apron. I guess I don't have to ask if you would like the one I saw today with flowers on it."    :woohoo: No need for the flowery apron. Disaster averted.

The SAK Whittling Club |

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #624 on: November 09, 2018, 02:32:54 AM
Smart, I was going to put a 5gal bucket and just whittle over that, but now saying about the apron I can just use my bbq one so everything just slides down and into the bucket!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #625 on: November 20, 2018, 05:19:18 AM
So I have started working on my first project. I have asked 'CINCHOME' (Commander in Charge, Home a.k.a. WIFE) if we had a brown sheet and a brown towel that was extra. Why? of course was the expected response and I had prepared for this mission. I explain how placing a towel over the bottom half of my chair with the excess material covering the floor at my feet could catch any lose flying pieces that might escape the towel on my lap. She of course agreed with this, as it would mean 'no mess on HER carpet'. So I did some whittling last night, just a bit to get started. I learned that I needed an apron. So today I was in the process of tying ...

when she came home. And of course I got the usual 'what are you doing now' quizzical look and verbal question. So I showed her and then had her take this photo...

while she was taking hold of the camera she made a comment "After watching you last night I was going to get you an apron. I guess I don't have to ask if you would like the one I saw today with flowers on it."    :woohoo: No need for the flowery apron. Disaster averted.

GP, I can't see your photos any more!?

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #626 on: November 20, 2018, 05:31:03 AM
My wife has just finished her PHD in Education, she graduates next month!
Her favourite animal is the Echidna, so I thought I'd have a go at carving one as a graduation present.

I started out trying to do a drawing of the profiles on graph paper, then tried drawing it on to the block, then started cutting. The shape isn't quite what I drew, but hopefully it is turning out better than my attempted drawing!

I don't want the beak/snout too fine so it still has some strength

Starting to take shape!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #627 on: November 20, 2018, 04:34:23 PM
My wife has just finished her PHD in Education, she graduates next month!
Her favourite animal is the Echidna, so I thought I'd have a go at carving one as a graduation present.

I started out trying to do a drawing of the profiles on graph paper, then tried drawing it on to the block, then started cutting. The shape isn't quite what I drew, but hopefully it is turning out better than my attempted drawing!

(Image removed from quote.)

I don't want the beak/snout too fine so it still has some strength

Starting to take shape!

Looking good so far...and a very thoughtful gift.  :hatsoff:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #628 on: November 20, 2018, 04:35:07 PM
 :iagree:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #629 on: November 21, 2018, 10:59:34 PM
I purchased a new Hiker SAK just for the Whittling Club. SInce then I have made a few 'adjustments' to it. I have yet to test it out on a project.
SAKWC_01 by Grandpa Patch, on Flickr

Using a Dremel tool I took the lanyard ring off, the tip of the longer blade off, narrowed the shorter blade and reshaped both the bottle opener and can opener to make additional blades. I have filed and sharpened to an 800 grit stone so far. I am seeing a few spots that I want to go back and use the 240 grit stone. I will then sharpen everything up to a decent standard (the paper test). Then I will start making some cuts and curves on some of the small pieces I have to test it out.
SAKWC_HikerSAK_01 by Grandpa Patch, on Flickr
The SAK Whittling Club |

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%