Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Buck XTracts

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New Buck XTracts
on: February 05, 2008, 07:28:09 AM
   We all know that the X-Tract isn’t my favourite tool but that wasn’t going to stop us from popping in and seeing what was new at the Buck Booth, especially considering it was smack dab between a hot dog stand, Benchmade’s booth and Leatherman’s booth!

There are a few changes in store for the new X-Tract series.  I say series because there are now three of them- the standard Xtract, the Xtract Fin and the Xtract LED.  The LED model has been teasing members for some time, but the Fin took us by surprise, which with this bunch, is no small feat!  Of course I don't recall seeing the camoflage one before:

The standard Xtract remains unchanged from the one we are all familiar with, so I won’t waste much on that.

The LED model has been teasing us for some time now, with the odd photo floating around here and there but there’s much more to it than we initially thought.  The first thing you notice about it is that the handle scales feel softer and grippier due to a nice rubber coating.  They have a fancy name for it, but for the life of me I can’t remember what it was called.  Bob kept better notes than me, so maybe he’ll fill in the details.

In addition, the button has a nice rubber cover that feels pretty solid, as if it was molded into the scale- no chance of losing it like the little rubber cover on a Mag Light switch!  The button is also pretty solid and I doubt you’d manage to accidentally turn it on.  Getting the Buck rep to open the battery cover for us, we see that the watch cell batteries are surrounded by a rubber gasket, making the Xtract LED water resistant.  I wouldn’t want to use it as a dive knife or anything, but it’s nice to know if you are splashed or caught out in the rain, you can feel reasonably safe that the electronics won’t be ruined.  I’m not a flashlight guy, but I will say that the Xtract’s LED seems at least as bright as a Photon Light. 

Last but not least is the new Fin model, which has the afore mentioned rubber coating, a small diamond file with hook sharpener tucked into the sheath, and scissors in place of the can opener.  There's a thumb bolt at the base of the scissors so they are also one handed opening.

As you can guess from the name Fin, this version is marketed towards fishermen, and the scissors are indeed pretty darned tough.  They reminded me very much of the Juice type scissors.

Bob and I had a great time playing with these- I'll post some more pictures shortly!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: New Buck XTracts
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 07:38:07 AM
I was pretty impressed with the Fin Tool from Buck. Those scissors seem to be better than the ones on most any other multitool. Not only are they physically larger, they also have a clever way of springing out when you open them, so they are instantly ready for action. All with one hand. (Actually, all with one thumb!)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 07:41:34 AM
I was impressed enough to give the XTract another chance, especially the Fin.  It looks like a really good, handy model, and as everyone knows by now, I like having scissors on a tool.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 07:42:29 AM
The blade looks like it has no serrations like the other x-tracts.
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 07:44:42 AM
That's true- the Fin is indeed a plain edge. 

A sharp eye will also note that there is no Whittaker logo on the newer models.  It seems that Mr Whittaker had no input on these versions, and I kind of got the feeling that he and Buck had parted ways.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 08:06:27 AM
That's true- the Fin is indeed a plain edge. 

Yep, plain edge blade. The little diamond file they include should work great for touching up the blade when it gets dull.  :)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 10:25:38 AM
Here's a few more shots of the LED model.

This one is a comparison of width against a standard XTract:

The battery compartment:

And the design showing how the light is set up for the majority of the tools:

By the way, the circuit for the LED model will automatically shut the light off after 2 minutes in the off chance it does get accidentally activated.

Def

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 03:06:47 PM
wow, I like em! great job guys, good shots.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 09:52:33 PM
More pictures of the Buck Fin 732. It comes with a nice molded sheath, with an elastic compartment to store the diamond file in.

Just when I thought there could be nothing new in the field of folding scissor design, these one comes along. The fact that it is one hand opening via a thumb stud is nothing new. What is unique is the way the scissor blade pops opn to the right amount and is ready for action immediately, all done with one thumb.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 02:09:52 AM
That Fin model really intrigues me! Does it have an LED light? I can't tell from the pictures.

I hope it doesn't because then I'd be afraid to get it wet.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 02:34:53 AM
That Fin model really intrigues me! Does it have an LED light? I can't tell from the pictures.

(The FIN model does not have an LED light.)

FIN 732 = soft grip scales, one-hand scissors, plain edge blade, bead blast finish, diamond file accessory

X-Tract LED 731 = soft grip scales, can opener, combination blade, polished finish, 5mm LED light

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 03:19:37 AM

The first picture in Reply#8 makes this quite confusing.  ;)

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 05:09:07 AM
That's what got me.
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 05:14:30 AM
The scissors look pretty substantial!
B

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 08:56:32 AM
I've never encountered this tool in the wild, how does the plier work?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 02:42:45 PM

The first picture in Reply#8 makes this quite confusing.  ;)

Ooops!! Thanks Spoon, I hadn't noticed that before. Definitely a mix-up in that photo. We had a whole table full of various X-Tract models and X-Tract colors, playing with them and testing out their functions, all the while trying to take pictures. Looks like we did a little mixing and matching! :-[

So yes, just to re-emphasize, the LED model does not come with scissors or the little diamond file accessory.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 04:48:10 PM
In our defense, at the time those photos were taken we were also unaware that the diamond file and special sheath were only for the Fin model.  As Bob said, we had quite a pile of tools and sheaths built up on the table at that point as the Buck reps showed us all the different colors and new features.

I actually have a short video showing the OH scissors in action- I'll try to get it posted today.

Def

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 09:31:21 PM
Cool, I am looking foward to that indeed!
B

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 10:23:37 PM
Here are the officially released pictures of the X-Tract Fin from Buck.

Def

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 10:27:44 PM
Are you going to put that video up Def?  :gimme:
B

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 10:29:06 PM
Getting there... :D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 10:59:16 PM
Uploaded to YouTube, will post as soon as it's ready.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 11:11:24 PM

Def

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 01:08:10 AM
Thanks, how do they compare to other MT scissors?
B

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 02:13:16 AM
That's hard to say without some actual testing, but they did remind me a fair bit of either the Juice or Surge scissors.  Whether they are as sturdy as either of those is unknown, but that's what jumped into my head while playing with them for the short time we did.

Def

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #25 on: February 11, 2008, 02:19:22 AM
Well, the surge does have great scissors! :-[
B

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 01:03:00 AM
Holy cow!

A little heads up.

Knifecenter.com has the Fin in stock, 43.95$ as well as the LED models.

:ahhh

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 01:06:00 AM
Are they actually in stock?  I don't think they are released yet- they are probably preselling them....

Def

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 01:08:09 AM
They say "in stock" on the site. Knifecenter is usually pretty good about updating when they get things, the Fin is a feature in their February newsletter.

Link!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 01:20:37 AM
Its very rarely that I have a tool that I just dont have any interest in, but this one is it. I really dont see anythign to significant that just sings out to me. Not that it dont look like trick piece of kit, but Ehh. 
S

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD