Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your Dog, Cat, Pig, Snake, Spider, Ant... Your PETS TOPIC :D

N_N_R · 4073 · 152327

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Your Dog, Cat, Pig, Snake, Spider, Ant... Your PETS TOPIC :D
Reply #2400 on: January 23, 2018, 02:16:52 AM
Anyone suggest a good no pull harness? I got to get her to stop pulling and I don’t want to put a choker on, I have a tightener, but I’m not going choker. She keeps complete tention on the leash, and on the walk home she saw a squirrel and almost took me across the street.. so I gotta do something.. anyone try a Chai’s choice?
JR

Just teach her to heel. Dogs are smart. They learn quick.

I will throw in another couple cents.
A dog who knows it's place in the family is a happy dog.
They won't jump up on peeps, chew furniture, misbehave when left behind etc etc.

You need to set the boundaries though, be firm and consistent, your dog will love you for it.

Have a look at rewards based dog training. 

I find the best way to train most dogs to heel is to do it leash free (that way the handler can't cheat by pulling on the lead).  Just in the back yard without any distractions, Mark and Reward every time the dog is in the correct heel position, and most dogs figure out pretty quickly that being by your side is a good place to be.  Then gradually taper off the rewards and increase duration of heeling, when you are happy with results add in the lead. 

But remember going for walks is for the dog's enjoyment (mental & physical), so let them sniff around a bit rather than insisting on  formal heel by your side ALL the time.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2401 on: January 23, 2018, 02:23:46 AM
I saw those but wasn’t to thrilled with how they go around the face, and with how we get dirty looks because of the breed I can only imagine how bad it would be thinking it’s a muzzle. So after a while of research I kinda narrowed it down to a couple and then went with this one, and of course the wife had to get purple..
JR

Sorry to tell you, but that particular harness looks like it will make it easier for your dog to pull harder (as it will distribute the force over more of her body), not discourage her from pulling.  Or am I missing something in the way it is meant to work ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2402 on: January 23, 2018, 02:39:42 AM
I saw those but wasn’t to thrilled with how they go around the face, and with how we get dirty looks because of the breed I can only imagine how bad it would be thinking it’s a muzzle. So after a while of research I kinda narrowed it down to a couple and then went with this one, and of course the wife had to get purple..
JR

Sorry to tell you, but that particular harness looks like it will make it easier for your dog to pull harder (as it will distribute the force over more of her body), not discourage her from pulling.  Or am I missing something in the way it is meant to work ?
Yeah, if hooking the leash to the back loop then yeah as hard as they pull it would distribute the tension across the entire chest area making it even easier, but by hooking it to the front loop every time they pull it causes them to turn rather then go forward, unlike the one Steve mentioned it’s a harness that also goes around the face, in which if they look forward and pull it also pulls the face to break forward vision too,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2403 on: January 23, 2018, 08:30:14 PM
Rosie got to do her favorite thing today  :tu:
20180123_121358.jpg
* 20180123_121358.jpg (Filesize: 289.52 KB)
20180123_121353 (1).jpg
* 20180123_121353 (1).jpg (Filesize: 260.05 KB)
20180123_121303.jpg
* 20180123_121303.jpg (Filesize: 192.59 KB)
20180123_121404.jpg
* 20180123_121404.jpg (Filesize: 202.23 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2404 on: January 23, 2018, 08:55:28 PM
 :like:   :like:   :like:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2405 on: January 23, 2018, 08:58:54 PM
JR

Oddly enough Molly was much less likely to pull with a harness on as opposed to using her collar.  It doesn't make sense to me either.  :D

I agree though that a reward based lesson on "heel" is the way to go.  Start with learning to follow your hand with a treat in it, then go on to walking with your hand (and treat) held so as pup will be walking where you want them.  Be very clear as to what counts as heel and what doesn't.  Giving treats for "nearly right" or a "good try" is counter-productive.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2406 on: January 23, 2018, 09:00:23 PM

Molly would love snow that deep, though I doubt she could make any headway. :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2407 on: January 23, 2018, 09:05:30 PM
Poor wee Molly got spayed today.  I've no regrets doing it, but she's still groggy and out of sorts from the anaesthetic.  :-\

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #2408 on: January 23, 2018, 09:16:16 PM
A couple of deer enjoying the sun in the back yard.

Last week there were six deer in the yard at one time. Five bucks and a doe (probably coming into heat).

IMG_9372.JPG
* IMG_9372.JPG (Filesize: 63.77 KB)
IMG_9373.JPG
* IMG_9373.JPG (Filesize: 75.72 KB)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:19:32 PM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2409 on: January 23, 2018, 09:17:20 PM
Nice Mulies !   :like: :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2410 on: January 23, 2018, 09:35:01 PM
Poor wee Molly got spayed today.  I've no regrets doing it, but she's still groggy and out of sorts from the anaesthetic.  :-\
Aww, I remember when we got our first dog neutered, I had to go pick him up and he had the hardest time getting to the van, he’d have to stop and rest, and when he got in he couldn’t get his butt in, only the front, so I had to lift him in. Then normally he’d be so thrilled to go for the ride, he’d be all over, but this time his butt didn’t move from the back floor, he didn’t even get in the seat! Yet after he got energy he ended up ripping the stables out so I had to take him back, then pick up a lampshade to put on him, after that we never went back to that vet after finding out a few things! Hope Molly has a speedy recovery!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2411 on: January 23, 2018, 09:36:53 PM
 :cheers:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #2412 on: January 23, 2018, 09:57:35 PM

Great pics Steve  :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2413 on: January 24, 2018, 12:46:27 AM
Bella wanted to say hi,,
JR

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #2414 on: January 24, 2018, 12:58:58 AM
 :rofl: Sup Bella!!!  :D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2415 on: January 24, 2018, 01:10:16 AM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #2416 on: January 24, 2018, 02:08:00 AM
Nice Mulies !   :like: :tu:

Thanks!

Rosie looks like she's having fun.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2417 on: January 25, 2018, 10:07:10 PM
Her harness came in today, so of course it had to go on, I didn’t put it to tight cause I wanted her to be comfortable, anyway, we had to go greocery shopping but as soon as we got home we wanted to take her for a walk to check it out. Funny part was as we were leaving the older kid took her out to do her business, what’s he say, “I thought this was to stop her from pulling”? Mom says, “dumbass, you have it attached to the back making it more comfortable for her to pull” :facepalm: !! Anyway after we got things taken care of we took her out, brought the little guy and well, all I have to say is “WOW”! We walked very nice, all I had to do was stop and she just froze! She kept a very light tension but as soon as I either stopped or pulled back, she just FROZE! I got to put it a little tighter cause it was just a little too loose, other then that I thought it was great, while in the park I handed the little guy the leash cause he wanted to walk her and I had no problem letting him, and again he just had to put a little extra tension and STOP!
JR
Here’s a pic of it on..

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2418 on: January 26, 2018, 12:07:53 AM
Bella looks styling in her purple harness  :)

Glad it seems to be working as well  :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2419 on: January 26, 2018, 01:01:36 AM
Bella looks styling in her purple harness  :)

Glad it seems to be working as well  :tu:
Thank you, she’s crashed on her bed, lol,,
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2420 on: January 26, 2018, 04:34:31 AM
OMG she’s snoring, I can here her over the tv! But I snuck a pic a few min’s ago..
JR
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 04:35:33 AM by MadPlumbarian »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #2421 on: January 26, 2018, 04:37:50 AM

:like: looks like fun  :D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

england Offline Kev D

Reply #2422 on: January 26, 2018, 08:57:16 AM
OMG she’s snoring, I can here her over the tv! But I snuck a pic a few min’s ago..
JR

Are you leaving the harness on her all the time?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2423 on: January 26, 2018, 09:28:46 AM
JR

Yeah, she doesn’t mind it, the only time she’s ever itched was when she had her collar on, now it’s just at her ears. Should I take it off when home and put her collar back on?
JR

england Offline Kev D

Reply #2424 on: January 26, 2018, 10:05:26 AM
JR

Yeah, she doesn’t mind it, the only time she’s ever itched was when she had her collar on, now it’s just at her ears. Should I take it off when home and put her collar back on?
JR

I wouldn't leave it on her all the time.  I'd leave her collar on all the time but only use the harness for walkies.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2425 on: January 26, 2018, 04:40:34 PM
JR

JR

I wouldn't leave it on her all the time.  I'd leave her collar on all the time but only use the harness for walkies.

+1

This way, she'll begin to understand when is time to go out. She can even start to bring you the harness when she wants out.

Man, like the 1st harness walk story. You seem to have a great dog there!

:salute: :tu:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:37:05 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2426 on: January 26, 2018, 07:36:10 PM
I guess I’ll take it off after we get home and switch to the collar, cause we’re going to go for a “walkie” shortly, it’s freaking beautiful out, we’re hitting 50°F with a slight breeze!
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2427 on: January 26, 2018, 11:52:11 PM
Did our walk, spotted three deer, took a couple pics but they were too hidden in the bush, but the Mrs did take a pic of me getting tongue attacked, yuck, I must say the goatee was very clean! lol..
JR

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2428 on: January 27, 2018, 07:48:42 PM
Her harness came in today, so of course it had to go on, I didn’t put it to tight cause I wanted her to be comfortable, anyway, we had to go greocery shopping but as soon as we got home we wanted to take her for a walk to check it out. Funny part was as we were leaving the older kid took her out to do her business, what’s he say, “I thought this was to stop her from pulling”? Mom says, “dumbass, you have it attached to the back making it more comfortable for her to pull” :facepalm: !! Anyway after we got things taken care of we took her out, brought the little guy and well, all I have to say is “WOW”! We walked very nice, all I had to do was stop and she just froze! She kept a very light tension but as soon as I either stopped or pulled back, she just FROZE! I got to put it a little tighter cause it was just a little too loose, other then that I thought it was great, while in the park I handed the little guy the leash cause he wanted to walk her and I had no problem letting him, and again he just had to put a little extra tension and STOP!
JR
Here’s a pic of it on..

Sounds like a total success.  :tu: 

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2429 on: January 27, 2018, 11:13:04 PM
Molly sporting her rather natty baby suit. :D  She's really not a fan, but it does stop her licking and scratching at her stitches and is much better than the "cone of shame".

DSC_0410.JPG
* DSC_0410.JPG (Filesize: 120.25 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%