Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Other Gerber models

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Other Gerber models
on: February 05, 2008, 01:12:54 PM
With the Flik looking pretty interesting and the Architect being kind of catchy, it's easy to overlook these two guys- the new Gerber Evo and Ripstop models.  These look pretty well like the same thing as the Resolve only in redesigned handle scales.  To be honest, they seem somewhat unimpressive, but well worth noting.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Other Gerber models
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:56:44 PM
Yes, apparently Gerber feels the Suspension, the Resolve, the Method, the Tread, and the Crux do not adequately cover this price/quality/utility range of the multitool market. The Evo and the Ripstop have the exact same compliment of blades as the previous five Gerber tools, have the same spring-loaded pliers, and are the exact same overall size.

Evo closed

Evo opened

Ripstop closed

Ripstop opened

The only difference between all of these models is their handle scales. For those of you familiar with Gerber's line of Evo knives, you will recognize where the Evo tool gets its name and style from. Speaking of handle scales, one thing worth mentioning is that the ones on the Evo and Ripstop are stainless steel. This makes the 2008 pair somewhat thinner, yet somewhat heavier, than last year's aluminum-scaled Method, Tread, and Crux.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 04:40:42 PM
I have a Suspension, & I'm really not crazy about this line - as I know a lot of other guys aren't around here.  I suppose there is a market for them though.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 04:49:43 PM
They compare rather favorably to other Wal Mart level tools...  unfortunately they are priced out of the Sheffield/Carolina section unless they are on closeout.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 02:37:18 AM
I'm still considering one of these as a beater, but there isn't much need to save my tool from the "dirty work" if it's a SOG. Not meant to be pretty, and I can clean it anyway!

And now I feel hypocritical because I know I sound exactly like Leatherman123.
[

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 02:45:46 AM
They seem to take up more space than necessary for their load.

-I'm guessing they had a Committee and came up with a whole bunch of great selling Names, but the design team can't keep up so just repackages old tools and the Marketing team doesn't even notice!

Joe down in Engineering is having a right laugh.

I don't suppose either of you pointed out the remarkable similarities to the booth folk in hopes of finding some speck of reason to the madness?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 02:23:12 PM

.....I don't suppose either of you pointed out the remarkable similarities to the booth folk in hopes of finding some speck of reason to the madness?

We spoke to them about it. Didn't really get anywhere with it though. Don't be surprised if you see a couple more new Suspension-like models again next year. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 05:16:07 PM
CRAP, CRAP, CRAP, I just dont understand why they would let themselves go down this route. All of these tools are actually just recycled, and It is like the R&D dept is not even trying anymore. I know the FLIX is also coming out but give me a break.
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 05:29:18 PM
This line of tools is geared to the "bottom end" type who buys a cheap tool at Wal Mart or Home Despot.  They must sell these by the billions, which would explain why they keep cranking out more versions of them.

The good news is that at least folks are buying a decent name, if not a great tool.  I think that's the whole point of this- to meet and compete with the super cheap hunks of crap and try to convince people who aren't otherwise knowledgeable like the rest of us, and get them onto a better, brand name tool.  Remember, many folks use these crappy tools for years and think they are the best things in the world.  When it comes time to replace a crappy tool, they may just opt for an upgrade at the same time, at which point they'll recognize the name on some of Gerber's higher end models.

Def

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 07:37:46 PM
Brand Awareness.

Blech.

As I keep telling my salesmen, I'd rather be exclusive and good than well known and rubbish - but to some people a sale is a sale, reputation be damned.

Offline mpi

Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 10:02:14 PM
 Have any of you actually tried to use the thumbstuds on the damn things?  i have a resolve i got in the costco combo kit, i can't open the blades with one hand.  those studs just dig into your hand and provide no leverage at all.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 03:21:52 AM

...I don't suppose either of you pointed out the remarkable similarities to the booth folk in hopes of finding some speck of reason to the madness?

As regards future Gerbers, I suspect this handle swapping on Suspension-like tools is just a prelude of things to come. We've already seen how they put a different set of handles on the little Clutch tool as well. No word yet on what the "new" mini tool's name will be.  ::)

Gerber Clutch

Gerber Clutch-like tool, unknown name

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 03:41:19 AM
     Look its the skeleclutch.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 03:42:15 AM
Don't you mean Clutchetool?   :pok:

Def

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 03:59:04 AM
Maybe they can call it the pinch or possibly even the clutch II.  change handles again then call it clutch III.  The only thing they are changing now is the handles and the names so skip the name changes.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%