Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox's new Spokeman and his preferred Models

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
on: April 20, 2012, 03:01:25 AM
Amici,
For those who haven't seen the ad in Backpacker magazine, Andrew Skurka a well known ultralight long distance hiker has recently become a spokesman for Victorinox.

What I find odd and why Im posting this is because of his choice of SAKS. They are the 111 mm Hunter XT and the standard Tinker.  Now keep in mind he's an ultralight hiker, which means he's a gram weenie and therefore counts grams down to the bare minimum when it comes to his gear and his packs overall weight. All his gear must be light and most importantly, have the ability to multi-task.

Keeping this in mind, why would anyone want to venture into the bush with of all VIC models, an XT and a standard Tinker?

First off there is no saw or scissors in either model which when in the bush makes allot of difference for completing a variety of tasks from fire making to standard bushcraft. Secondly, how about an AWL? Overall I think the XT is a poor choice for a large framed SAK compared to the Trekker, or even the new larger framed Soldier. As for a second 91 mm SAK, the Fieldmaster makes much more sense to me for the field compared to a standard Tinker, especially from personal experience that I've had in the field. 

I know he's under contract to sponser whatever products that VIC has but the wisdom of the XT, a model that is more in line with an actual hunter than a guy who's fame is hiking long distances in short amounts of time with next to nothing for equipment?

I think VIC should have and could have thought this one out a tad better before they went ahead and released the promo.

Here's a link to the prome for your viewing enjoyment:

http://www.backpacker.com/victorinox

Thoughts anyone? Are my observations on target, or am I being a tad harsh and thus not seeing the light on the selections of these two models for backpacking/hiking/bushcraft?

Cheers,
Serge

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:44:46 AM by sergemaster »
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox's new Spokeman and his preferred Models
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 04:12:39 AM
Hmmm... but a Hunter XT does have a saw.  :think:

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 04:50:24 AM
Well, if he is a weight weenie and he's carrying two SAKs instead of one, I take that to mean there are some tools on each knife that he wouldn't want to do without, but can't find together on one knife.

The Hunter XT has a nice, big saw and serrated and plain edged knives. But no flat screwdriver, can opener, T&T or small blade.

In the video, they show him slicing through some paracord with the serrated knife, and that is certainly a good use for it.

It may also be about back-ups. He can use the large plain blade on the Hunter XT for food prep and cutting against hard objects and afford to dull the hell out of it, because he's still got two plain edged knife blades left. Or the idea that he could drop one in a chasm somewhere and still not be SOL.

But maybe we're thinking too much into it. Maybe he's not a SAK fan, but just a fan of having a big sponsor. Maybe he's had the Tinker since childhood and can't bear to be without it, and he just supplements it with the Hunter XT?

But if I were him, I'd probably go with a Fieldmaster, and skip the big clunker. Put it on a lanyard tied through a belt loop so it doesn't get lost.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 04:55:56 AM
The Tinker has an Awl.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 08:20:11 AM
Amici,
OK I stand corrected, I didn't realize that the Hunter XT had a saw, and that the Tinker also came with an awl, since I've always used a Super Tinker as a minimum of that series due to the fact it has scissors.

This said, I still have to say for a 111 mm SAK, I still feel that the Hunter XT was a bad choice for the bush. But then again, that's me.. I guess I have been spoiled from years of using models from either the Trekker or Wenger Ranger series that as a result has instilled in me a strong bias!

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 08:31:04 AM
The XT does seem like an odd choice to me as well.  Personally, I think an OHT and a Deluxe Tinker would be a better combination.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 03:33:03 PM
Keep in mind I make these comments never having heard of this guy or his method of hiking before.

I don't know why he would pick the hunter xt over a different model for ultralight hiking, although the tinker makes some sense. However, I also don't think a OHT or new soldier would be any better. I'm sure there are as many ways to do ultralight hiking as there are people, but most ultralight hikers I know personally don't get into bushcraft. For a lot of people they are fundamentally different things.

Two of the guys I know who are into counting grams only take a leatherman micra for quick gear repair and a light weight single blade folder. Most of the time they carry prepackaged food and firestarting gear, so have no need for a bushcrafty knife to support that either.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:40:12 PM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 03:44:37 PM
If I were taking a SAK for hiking, I'd take a Farmer.  Saw, knife, Flat and Phillips driver and awl.  Alox handles means it can be used for hammering much more efficiently than a Cellidor model.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 11:00:46 PM
If I were taking a SAK for hiking, I'd take a Farmer.  Saw, knife, Flat and Phillips driver and awl.  Alox handles means it can be used for hammering much more efficiently than a Cellidor model.

I agree, if I am going hiking, the farmer would be one of my 1st choices.

For a gram-counting ultralighter, though, I don't think it would be the best choice.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Frankctz

Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 11:04:22 PM
Well, if he is a weight weenie and he's carrying two SAKs instead of one, I take that to mean there are some tools on each knife that he wouldn't want to do without, but can't find together on one knife.

The Hunter XT has a nice, big saw and serrated and plain edged knives. But no flat screwdriver, can opener, T&T or small blade.

In the video, they show him slicing through some paracord with the serrated knife, and that is certainly a good use for it.

It may also be about back-ups. He can use the large plain blade on the Hunter XT for food prep and cutting against hard objects and afford to dull the hell out of it, because he's still got two plain edged knife blades left. Or the idea that he could drop one in a chasm somewhere and still not be SOL.

But maybe we're thinking too much into it. Maybe he's not a SAK fan, but just a fan of having a big sponsor. Maybe he's had the Tinker since childhood and can't bear to be without it, and he just supplements it with the Hunter XT?

But if I were him, I'd probably go with a Fieldmaster, and skip the big clunker. Put it on a lanyard tied through a belt loop so it doesn't get lost.

If the "Hunter XT" had been came with the opener layer (can opener, flat screwdriver, bottle opener, awl) could be much better knife.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 02:07:25 AM
If the "Hunter XT" had been came with the opener layer (can opener, flat screwdriver, bottle opener, awl) could be much better knife.

I disagree, but if you want that there is the Dual Pro-X that meets 98% of that, and with a little work 100%.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 03:50:17 AM
The setup makes a lot of sense, actually- the only tool that is duplicated is the philips.

For that reason, I might have gone with a Compact or Climber rather than the Tinker, but I also use scissors daily and while I've never once in my life needed a corkscrew the glasses screw driver comes out at least once a week. At least if I had to restrict myself to factory models.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline getahl

Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 04:25:55 AM
Every single piece of ultralight literature I have read points to the Classic or Micra as the only knife carried, more for the scissors than anything else. Food is prepacked, there is no, or next to no, fire-making equipment, and generally no need for saw, awl, etc.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 04:59:37 AM
Every single piece of ultralight literature I have read points to the Classic or Micra as the only knife carried, more for the scissors than anything else. Food is prepacked, there is no, or next to no, fire-making equipment, and generally no need for saw, awl, etc.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. I think most of the SAKs mentioned are more for bushcraft use than ultralight.

us Offline Donald

Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 05:32:02 AM
So where was the Hunter XT mentioned?  I do not see it in the video, which is what I found at the link. I suppose a P-38 could make up for the opener layer, but I think that would be a much better knife if they had added an awl as a backtool. I know it does not have the associated opener layer, but I would think they could have worked to modify one of the backsprings, despite their dependence on volume.

I saw the red tinker. The can opener use was interesting. I never knew a ultralight backpacker would normally have a can to open in the first place...maybe after stopping at a local store somewhere along a trail. ??

As per other comments, all the ultralighter comments I have read seem to consider even the Classic as possibly overkill. I do not agree, but.... :)

Was that a black Classic in the foreground on top of the mat? I know he used scissors when cutting a thread while sewing to do a gear repair. I saw the Victorinox paring knife too.

At least it is support for the utility of a SAK! :D

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 04:48:12 PM

You all are so innocent.  ;)

A spokesman promotes what their sponsor tells them to promote. duh.

us Offline Donald

Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 11:38:25 PM
 :o Really?  :rofl:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 01:32:11 AM
the cover of the book linked on his site shows a 58mm Signature. 

Knowing a couple of guys who have done some ultralight hiking I really can't see him actually carrying quite that much gear, nor the heavy salami and canned food. :think:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 01:36:24 AM
the cover of the book linked on his site shows a 58mm Signature. 

(Image removed from quote.)

Knowing a couple of guys who have done some ultralight hiking I really can't see him actually carrying quite that much gear, nor the heavy salami and canned food. :think:
Well, ultralighters are, in my opinion, nucking futs...  :whistle:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Donald

Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 02:24:12 AM
Gareth, I can't either. I do know though that e.g. Appalachian Trail through hikers will go into local stores along the way for some gourmet food such as a can of peaches. ;) Otherwise I really do not see them in general needing a can opener.

us Offline Donald

Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 02:25:38 AM
I meant to ask again since no one has commented (or I missed it) I still never saw a Hunter XT. If it was there, where was it?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 09:45:41 AM
I am wondering if he is actually what a lot of us are thinking of as an Ultralight hiker, or if we might be better thought of as a Lightweight hiker?  Not meant in a bad way at all, anyone who has hiked that many miles has my respect. :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

za Offline ?eter

Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 10:11:06 AM
I am wondering if he is actually what a lot of us are thinking of as an Ultralight hiker, or if we might be better thought of as a Lightweight hiker?  Not meant in a bad way at all, anyone who has hiked that many miles has my respect. :salute:

I listened to an interview with him, and he doesn't call himself an ultralight hiker. What he said was that he packs to 'be comfortable on the trail as well as in camp'  i.e. not going ultralight and being uncomfortable in camp, or going heavy and being uncomfortable on the trail

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 12:47:28 PM
For hiking I would definitely pick the Super tinker over the tinker.  Even though I am really fond of the tinker, Scissors always beats no scissors in my mind.  At least with SAK's.  I love to carry my Alox pioneer, but to do so I must make sure my Classic is in my pocket because I just can't go without scissors. 

As far as Ultralight hiking, I think it's a bit out there for me.  There is no way in hell I would venture into the wilderness without a fixed blade.  The few I have aren't what I would call top notch, but they would get the job done. 

za Offline ?eter

Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 02:01:43 PM
I have a classic and an alox Lumberjack in my survival kit that goes in my pocket when I'm outdoors. Those cover just about all the bases for hiking, I think, and weigh less than a camper

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%