Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What tools MTs shouldn't have

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
on: April 20, 2012, 10:21:05 PM
Just curious what folks think might be the best things to leave off of MTs.

For instance, I think lights are probably better as a separate item.

Any thoughts on this?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: What tools MTs shouldn't have
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 10:30:39 PM
Feeler gauges.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 10:45:40 PM
I might as well start of with what I guess is a minority opinion: Lately, I've come to feel you might as well leave knives out of the equation. The case for including the knife is knives being the single most useful implement on an MT, the case for leaving them out is knives on multi-tools always are clumsy and uncomfortable IMHO. Sometimes you really need everything in a single package, I can understand that, but I personally prefer pairing up the MT with a SAK or fixed blade.

I agree about flashlights: A waterproof, impact resistant, good flashlight (which is what I would want if I should appreciate the flashlight in an MT) is expensive and eats up a lot of space. Not worth it. In general, I dislike anything electric or carrying extra chemicals (like a pen) in an MT.

When it comes to bitsets, I prefer a solution where I can store the bits inside the multitool itself (like e.g. the Skeletool). If I need a separate bit store, I might as well use the Vic mini-ratchet and gain some extra flexibility. In general I prefer solutions where the multitool is as “self-contained” as possible.

Are prybar-like implements, like the crate opener on the SwissTool, really useful on a multitool, since you damage the entire tool if you manage to apply to much force (while using the tool as intended)? The pin is probably stronger than I think, but I've never felt comfortable about using the crate opener arbitrarily. (Long time pocket knife user, so applying force in that direction on a folding tool feels somehow wrong. :) )

I guess the crate opener is perfectly fine used correctly, and you can't use any tool, multi or not, arbitrarily, but still... I like the idea of having the crate opener, though I have hardly used it (not like I need open nailed crates for my work, and not for play either). I guess my problem is I have no intuitive feel of what I can and cannot do with that class of tools. I'd be grateful for some info from members that have used the crate opener some more than  I have. As I said, I like the abstract idea, but having a hinged prybar is contra-intuitive to say the least.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 11:34:14 PM
The issue of a blade on an MT is a good one, I think. There are certain uses for blades that I think are fine integrated into an MT. I have several keychain MTs whose blades are very small. I use these primarily to open packages, and for that kind of duty, they are fine. I'm not sure I'd want to whittle with them, though.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 11:40:35 PM
I think multitools should not have cocktail forks, right Mat?   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SAW

us Offline radiotecha1234

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 11:53:12 PM
I'm going to agree with Steiner on this blade issue up to a point (no pun intended). I think one blade on a MT is fine. Like when I carry my folder and say my Swisstool Spirit. The butter knife blade on that would clearly be better for cutting rope than opening a letter. This is why I have my folder in my pocket.
On the other hand I have a LM Wave that has not one but TWO outside opening blades, yet I have to open the pliers to get at the scissors that IMHO should have been on the outside instead of one of those blades.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 12:14:40 AM
Thanks, I have never been able to look at a Flair the same way.  :D

Fish scale remover. You see these on real cheap multi-tools. Most of the times, too short to be of any use as one.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 12:23:51 AM
I'll agree that a proprietary blade is usually a better way to go. I think the Spirit is a great example of a 'utility blade'. It has an awl for piercing tasks so a sheepsfoot combo-edge is perfect for cutting tasks. The crate opener is really handy and I use it a lot actually. It's very robust for the size and I have yet to damage it. I used it recently to put a screen back into place in a window, it doesn't take much force but still needs some persuasion to fit in. As for unnecessary components, the only ones I don't have need for is the plethora of flathead screwdrivers found on some models. I agree a light isn't needed nor a compass. Pretty useless if you need to see what your doing with the tool your light is attached to.

Stay multi my friends

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 12:51:55 AM
I agree a light isn't needed nor a compass. Pretty useless if you need to see what your doing with the tool your light is attached to.

This is indeed a large part of my problem with lights on MTs.

Offline Biru

Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 01:35:05 AM
If I understand the question, my classic reply is no bottle/can opener and not so many flat screwdrivers. I know they're the easiest item to make, but a small/medium driver is enough for me. I've never used a large screwdriver on a multitool. On my Bear work carry, I sharpened mine to use as a chisel (an idea from my Swisstool). I've definitely used the chisel.

Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 01:45:53 AM
Okay, I have to jump in here with the micro eyeglass screwdriver. I have never used one and two of my MTs have them. I don't need one and if I did I would just put that and only that on my keychain. My Wave has one and I have to be honest I can't see where anyone could hold that little thing steady enough to use on a pair of glasses with all the multitool attached to it anyway. Seems very awkward and top heavy that way. They should have just made a place to store it in the handle with its own handle like on a SAK. I would rather that space was occupied by an awl.

us Offline Inzelique

• If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 04:23:47 AM
Agree with the knife blade.  There should be more knifeless tools.  Especially key chain size.  Rulers (folding or on the outside of the tool).  If I really need to measure something trying to lay my multi flat and get anything close to acutate is unlikely.

Offline Biru

Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 04:33:59 AM
What about a fold-out square (the "L" style)? It'd be no harder to make than that questionable  (to me, at any rate) SOG socket driver. I'd use it much more than the large screwdriver and tons more than the bottle opener.

If any of you tool makers use that, you owe me a pack of SPAM cigarettes! :gimme:

us Offline Hammer

• Guardian of the Swamp
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 05:55:25 AM
I'm all for a blade on a MT.  In camping/hiking outings I always have a larger knife on my belt, but for those situations where a little finesse is called for, the MT blade is perfect.  I also like the idea of having the eyeglass screwdriver on an MT as I use it for removing dirt from hard to reach places, and leaving a clean area, such as threads in a larger bolt.
A flashlight on an MT - don't need it, I have a flashlight on my iPhone.
Another item that I find useless on an MT is a magnifying glass.
NRA Member
No Regrets!

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 06:01:27 AM
I think they should leave off wire cutters unless they're the pinching type. Shearing type wire cutters compromise the pivot and don't remain effective for long.

I don't think a wood saw is that great a use of space either. Maybe I'm alone here, but if I'm going into the woods, I don't need a pliers, so I won't carry all the weight of an MT. I'd just either take a folding saw with my backpack, or a SAK with a saw.

Yeah, I know, pliers can be used to lift hot pots. But my camping cookware all has reliable handles.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 08:26:44 AM
I agree with much of what's been said here.  A plier based MT really should focus most on being a good set of pliers, and drivers and bits too for the added flexibility.  Knife blades, can openers, tweezers, scissors, saw blades, etc. just add unnecessary weight, bulk, and redundancy to an MT. 

All that extra bulk and weight that's going to all the extra stuff could be used to create space for bit storage, better functionality for pliers, and so on.  I've yet to see a pair of scissors on a plier based MT that didn't suck.  (I consider scissor based tools like the Micra and CS to be an exception though.) 

I'd also like to see more MTs use replaceable blades on their wire cutters.  I specifically avoid using the wire cutters on an MT because when I'm in a situation where I have a need for it, I usually have a dedicated pair of high quality diagonal cutters easily available, or I just don't want to trash the built in cutter.  (I have two pairs of these: http://www.felcostore.com/item/f-c7?referer=wirecablecutters and they are easily the best wire cutters I've ever used.)

For my EDC needs, a SAK covers 98% of what I need, so I don't normally carry a plier based MT on me.  For people who truly need a plier based MT for their work or the like, I think they'd be better served by a tool with less total implements and ones that are better designed, more robust, and more capable, than the current crop of even full size MTs like a Charge or a Surge, etc. 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 12:59:00 PM
Can't talk about other people, but what I never ever use on MTs or knives: files, bottle openers and corkscrews... the latter ones look especially ugly, in my opinion :D

My ideal MT would have a small blade, scissors, a flathead & a philips screwdriver (one of each), tweezers, something... with a pointed-looking... nail-like or sth (I often need such stuff) and of course, a keyring attachment of some sort.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 03:07:43 PM
A consensus is never likely to be achieved in this thread as everyone's usage is different.  But its still interesting :)

I can't actually think of anything I'd never want on a MT.  Even things like corkscrews can be used for more than their intended purpose.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 03:09:04 PM
Can't talk about other people, but what I never ever use on MTs or knives: files, bottle openers and corkscrews... the latter ones look especially ugly, in my opinion :D

My ideal MT would have a small blade, scissors, a flathead & a philips screwdriver (one of each), tweezers, something... with a pointed-looking... nail-like or sth (I often need such stuff) and of course, a keyring attachment of some sort.

yep me its a CS and cap lifter as well, although i guess you never know  :D the CS is handy to store the vics eye glass driver though  ;) i have to say i also dont use a awl very often but again you never know and i have used one once or twice  :tu:

Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 03:14:47 PM
I find I am using the awl more and more. The more I use it the more I see how else I could use it. Cool.

But, seriously, do we need a toothpick on our MT. Seems gross to me, to reuse anyway. If I need a toothpick, I will carve one out of wood with all the outside opening blades I have.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 03:16:57 PM
A corkscrew!  In my 39 yrs of life Ive never needed one and the cheap wine my wife buys has a screw top.  Maybe corks are still used more in other parts of the world?  The corkscrew on SAKS has always particularly bothered me as it ruins the back scale by needing a cutout.  This is another reason I prefer the 93mm frame, no corkscrew.

Oh and the toothpick, I always thought that was a stupid addition.. a pen yes.. the standard scale tools should be a pen and tweezers, that makes a million times more sense.  Plus if you are in the woods and have a knife how long does it take you to carve a toothpick?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 03:20:05 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline Biru

Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 05:14:44 PM
Yeah. Besides, real men just smack the bottle upside a rock and drink the wine from the jagged bottle edge.  :D

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 05:24:59 PM
Not a tool, but I think multis are far better off without any plastic parts, including scales.

Although I can think of the odd tool exception i.e., the mag glass or cybertool bit holder on Vics.

I don't hate the cellidor scales on SAKs, I just much prefer alox, steel, titanium, whatever.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 05:55:48 PM
I can do without a plain edge blade , lots of better options out there . Gotta admit I do like a serrated/combo blade on a multi . Basically for doing dirty work , you don't want to use a "real " knife for .

Chris

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 06:08:52 PM
I'd love to see more options without a blade as well.  Also I can't think of the last time I needed to open a can with a multitool so the can opener is a waste of time IMO.  Another is the big lanyard hole that some companies use, Gerber's one on the MP600 is a perfect example of this. :-\

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 06:16:31 PM
Yeah, I think the Wave got the lanyard right. I also like the way the Powerlock does it, and the PST did. It annoys me when real estate is wasted for a ring.

us Offline David

Reply #26 on: April 21, 2012, 06:23:46 PM
Scissors on MT`s bigger than keyring size.   :D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 06:31:23 PM by David »
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 06:12:18 PM
For me its a space versus usefulness question. So in the YES category:

knife blade = used often, only takes up one space
awl = used less frequently, but only takes up one space
scissors = used frequently, takes up one space or sometimes two spaces, depending on manufacturer
file = used infrequently, but only takes up one space
saw = same as above

In the NO category:

led light = used infrequently, but takes up too much space in most designs
corkscrew = the ultimate NO, as I never use it, but can hog up three spaces in most designs ::)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 06:19:20 PM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 08:48:48 PM
Yeah, fair point on the cuticle pusher :) 

And thinking about it a bit more, the toothpick can go as well.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%