Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do you think of the Wenger RangerGrip 90?

Smaug · 35 · 11034

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What do you think of the Wenger RangerGrip 90?
Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 10:25:36 PM
I wonder if there's also the minimum price scheme going on with Wenger, that would certainly account for the higher price across the board.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 11:10:43 PM
Amici,
Has anyone else seen or had a chance to handle what Wenger has recently released called a Rangerwood 55 with  Evowood scales?

Although it is a tad pricey, ($100.00 USD) I might be temped to pick one up if they were to release this style in other Ranger patterns, since I am not a big fan of the cork screw on the large framed SAKs.

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 12:13:32 AM
Jeremy,

If you don't already have a 111 mm SAK, like a OHT or an Outrider, Work Champ, etc., I think you'll be happy with the 78.  I think it stacks up quite favorably to an OHT, and is in some ways better I think.  Despite having the 179, I am actually now also considering a 78.   :facepalm:  (Yes, it IS a sickness!)

Combine a 78 with a regular size SAK (like that S16) and I think you'll be set for 99% of things that will come your way.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 26, 2012, 06:09:52 AM
Amici,
I thought of picking one of these up but that was before I started encountering an issue with my 78, which is the rubber is physically flaking off the inserts. This has always been the main issue why I have always steered clear of anything labeled, kraton, dual intensity, or any other code word for a material best suited for tires.

Cheers,
Serge
If you meant "dual density" rather than "dual intensity", then I think you are mis-classifying the material.  I have not heard of any issues with the "dual density" scales and they are included on the official issue Soldier Knife which would not be the case if they had any realiability or stability issues with the material. 

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 03:22:58 PM
If you meant "dual density" rather than "dual intensity", then I think you are mis-classifying the material.  I have not heard of any issues with the "dual density" scales and they are included on the official issue Soldier Knife which would not be the case if they had any realiability or stability issues with the material.

^ Agree. I haven't had my EvoGrip Wenger long enough to know, but I know the rubber panels on the Soldier are solid.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31