Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

This is really messed up...

jzmtl · 22 · 2818

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: April 23, 2012, 06:19:25 AM
All I can say is WTF, future serial killer in the making?

So basically two guys were caught setting real deal punji sticks and spike ball booby traps at the entrance to a shelter hikers use to take break, look at the photos, that's some serious stuff.  :o

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=20091241&title=2-arrested-for-setting-booby-traps-near-hiking-trail&s_cid=featured-1

PROVO — Two men were arrested Saturday after allegedly rigging booby traps near a trail in South Fork Canyon.

Benjamin Rutkowski, 19, or Orem and Kai Christensen, 21, of Provo were booked into the Utah County Jail for investigation of reckless endangerment, a class A misdemeanor.

Sgt. Spencer Cannon of the Utah County Sheriff's Office said a forest service officer was patrolling the Big Springs Trail area on Monday when he noticed what appeared to be a trip wire near the entrance of a rudimentary shelter. The wire was connected to a device that if tripped, would have sent a ball of sharpened sticks swinging toward the face or head of a person entering the shelter. Another trip wire was set up at a second entrance, which would have caused a person to fall down on sharpened sticks placed in the ground.

Cannon said the shelter was one of many in an area that is frequently visited by hikers and campers.

"There was potential for some very serious injury to someone," Cannon said. "If someone fell the wrong way it could have been disastrous or even fatal."

After identifying the traps, the forest service officer worked with deputies from the sheriff's office to contact individuals familiar with the shelter on social media websites. After speaking with witnesses, officials were able to identify Rutkowski and Christensen.

Cannon said both men confessed their involvement in setting the traps on Sunday, the day before they were discovered by the forest service officer. The men said they were trying to target animals but Cannon was skeptical, saying that the nature of the traps and their placement at a popular hiking destination doesn't make sense as an animal trap.

"We believe they knew people would be going there and that's why they put them there," Cannon said.

Cannon said that hikers and campers should always be alert to dangers on a trail but that the traps are inherently unusual. He said marijuana grows and other illegal activity sites are known to use booby traps but he's never seen this type of device in a recreational area.

"People don't go up expecting this and they shouldn't have to," he said.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: This is really messed up...
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 07:00:29 AM
That is seriously messed up. I'm hoping they see prison time and get felony records. Yeah, those were intended for animals... right.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:10:01 AM
That is seriously messed up. I'm hoping they see prison time and get felony records. Yeah, those were intended for animals... right.
Exactly.  Hope they throw the book at them. >:(
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:50:56 AM
Or go have them walk thru the traps they set...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 11:13:16 AM
Wow that's seriously sociopathic, I would hope they see jail time honestly. That's akin to cutting someone's brakes or loosening their wheels really. If someone had triggered the traps there's no way you're escaping without injury at least.  :o
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 01:14:57 PM
We have a kid like that here. He's been caught torturing animals and because of his age he's been given slaps on the wrists. Then a few years ago he managed to derail a train.

I'm all for giving kids another chance but there have to be lines between youthful mistakes and serious offenses. Setting lethal traps in recreational areas is not excusable. If it was I'd have dropped a lot of anvils on people's heads.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 03:03:54 PM
We have a kid like that here. He's been caught torturing animals and because of his age he's been given slaps on the wrists. Then a few years ago he managed to derail a train.

I'm all for giving kids another chance but there have to be lines between youthful mistakes and serious offenses. Setting lethal traps in recreational areas is not excusable. If it was I'd have dropped a lot of anvils on people's heads.

Def

in some cases it starts with hurting animals and then they can get a taste it and start doing stuff to people, you have to keep a eye on these things  :-\

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 04:56:22 PM
No, we have to keep a shotgun on these people.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 06:08:15 PM
Have that shotgun loaded with rock salt. And don't hesitate to fire. The lesson will be quickly learned.

I never liked getting spanked as a child, but I learned from each incident. Just like I've learned respect for sharp knives and their ability to cut me, fire to burn me, and gravity to make me land hard. And many other lessons that I learned physically. The primitive part of my mind learns much quicker and retains much better than my "more developed" mind.

My parents always said that the spanking was going to hurt them more than me. I thought they were talking about their hand or the result of my kicking, flailing and screaming. Then I went over their knee... Now that I'm a parent (and uncle), I respect and admire my parents restraint. And I understand their pain. I hope that I will be able to continue in the tradition they introduced me to. And I encourage others to be strong enough try it. The positive results are astounding. My niece and nephew both respect me more than their parents - because I cared enough to discipline them when their parents wouldn't. And my son appears to be coming along just fine...

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPad2
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 06:53:06 PM
Have that shotgun loaded with rock salt. And don't hesitate to fire. The lesson will be quickly learned.

I never liked getting spanked as a child, but I learned from each incident. Just like I've learned respect for sharp knives and their ability to cut me, fire to burn me, and gravity to make me land hard. And many other lessons that I learned physically. The primitive part of my mind learns much quicker and retains much better than my "more developed" mind.

My parents always said that the spanking was going to hurt them more than me. I thought they were talking about their hand or the result of my kicking, flailing and screaming. Then I went over their knee... Now that I'm a parent (and uncle), I respect and admire my parents restraint. And I understand their pain. I hope that I will be able to continue in the tradition they introduced me to. And I encourage others to be strong enough try it. The positive results are astounding. My niece and nephew both respect me more than their parents - because I cared enough to discipline them when their parents wouldn't. And my son appears to be coming along just fine...

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPad2

Yep bring them up right and hopefully all will be well, i was given manors and respect and taught right from wrong, sadly not all parents have this tools or know how to use them, but its needed in this world, my kids i can take anywhere and even get comments in restaurants as how well behaved they are, they have manors and respect folk, just how i bring them up as i was, not hard really ,but as i said to my step dad once , its hard work bringing children up right but you pay for it in the future with nice people,  :tu:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 06:59:40 PM
In some cases, sociopathy shows no connection to environment, so no amount of bringing someone up right will help. In these cases, punishing a sociopath doesn't teach them to not do a bad thing, it just teaches them that they need to work harder at not getting caught.

I don't know which is the case with these two, but the knuckleheads were dumb enough to wait until they were legal adults before trying this stunt, so at least they don't get the juvenile 'free ride'.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 08:12:54 PM
I agree with both sides.  Proper (not excessive) discipline is a must. Working the bars I found more than enough kids who didn't get enough when they were younger and thought the world owed them something. It was a joy to send them to the tank for the night - not so much when I had to help the paramedics load them into a meat wagon.

Sociopaths are a different story altogether.  No amount of punishment is likely to straighten them out- they are simply wired differently.  However sociopath isn't necessarily a bad thing in and of itself. Some simply get ahead in life by not observing rules and practices the rest of us pay attention to.

Some however just need to be used as shark bait.

Def

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 08:18:26 PM
That's sick!  :o :o
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 09:17:33 PM
If they were animals, they would have been shot on sight.

There are some seriously damaged people out there.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 12:40:09 AM
Some however just need to be used as shark bait.

Def

Why punish the sharks?  :D
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 01:20:58 AM
What's up with the ears :think:

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 01:39:05 AM
They've been gauged.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 01:50:12 AM
What's up with the ears :think:
(Image removed from quote.)

They put ever increasing sized earrings in until the skin is stretched out like that.

Def

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 01:52:48 AM
Weird, I feel old now, and I'm only in my 40s :ahhh

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 03:48:50 AM
Wow! :sa: Sick folks I'll say.

Sent from Ash forum mobile

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 10:28:26 AM
Never trust anyone with stretched out earlobes. Those people are messed up. Both of those guys have that crazy look.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

us Offline Prof. Gadget

Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 03:03:58 PM
 ??? Is that a guy or some ugly woman with facial hair?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%