Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sick addiction, and I blame you

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
on: April 24, 2012, 07:52:26 PM
So I've got this Explorer and like a lot of the tools on it. I found myself waffling about the magnifying glass, until it occurred to me that I couldn't read the date on a mercury dime I was looking at the other day. Knowing my eyes are getting worse, I suspect it could come in very useful on down the road.

But I HATE that phillips paired with it, vastly preferring the Tinker's phillips. And since I don't need a corkscrew, I don't think it'd be a problem if it were modded out. Of course, that would mean losing a place to put the eyeglass size screwdriver...

The scissors on this old Explorer are pretty darn good, and I found disassembly a snap since it's an older model with the screw.

A realistic appraisal of my use of pliers in MTs tells me the little ones on a SAK should do me fine for most of my EDC needs.

And it seems there might be some among you who REALLY like the can opener. :D

Then I start thinking maybe the light and pen are better options than the tweezers and toothpick in the scales.

Poking around on the SAK Selector to see what might meet my needs...

And THEN I realize, you rotten smurfs hooked me! I hate you all! Oh God, No, I didn't mean it!! Please don't leave me alone in my sick addiction!  :rofl:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Sick addiction, and I blame you
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 08:00:58 PM
*snicker*

Now you know the real reason you got that first SAK as a gift, the first shot is always free.  >:D

Vics are really nasty, or nice, to those of us who collect them, since you have this absurd amount of micro-variation and different production runs... People choose arbitrarily "narrow" fields of collection, and there's still years and years of good hunt in the hobby. I collect Spartans and Campers, though not with any great intensity or focus (I often buy new ones on vacation to places with better knife stores than back home), and I know I will never have anything like a "complete" collection. And I like it that way. :)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:14:54 PM
I don't have any interest in collecting, but I like the idea of having the best toolset for the least weight, and SAKs might meet that. I fear there may be modding involved though... which is a whole new avenue for my crazy.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 08:20:59 PM
I didn't assume you were infected to a degree where collecting seemed like a good idea, it was just an aside regarding the troubles of SAKs, and how easy it is to start looking for that perfect one. "Now, if I just had X instead of Y there..." :)

Never started modding myself. All thumbs and too fascinated by high quality F&F (so I don't start and then never will make anything I'd be happy about either :) ). Should be a good way to get the perfect tool for a reasonable amount of money, though, since you can get loose parts and old beater knives from Rotokid and Felinevet.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 08:28:25 PM

And THEN I realize, you rotten smurfs hooked me! I hate you all! Oh God, No, I didn't mean it!! Please don't leave me alone in my sick addiction!  :rofl:

Hehehe, that's me, the SAK pusher. >:D  You're the third person I've given a Tinker to, and ALL of you have gotten more.  My work here is done.  :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 08:38:15 PM
You... you monster! You KNEW what you were doing! Gaaa! :D

I'm cruising EDCSource looking for a Deluxe Tinker now. Maybe the midnite manager...

I've recently finished getting keychain MTs to all my friends (and hooking one on Sriracha hot sauce), so I'm as much a pusher as you.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 08:42:37 PM
But it's only just started.  Hehe. Theres more. Alox! Mmmm sweet alox. You know you want one or maybe two. :pok: muhahahhaha
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 08:47:20 PM
But it's only just started.  Hehe. Theres more. Alox! Mmmm sweet alox. You know you want one or maybe two. :pok: muhahahhaha

The CRACK of SAK's.  :ahhh

...just one more colored Farmer, honest, just this last one... :drool:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 08:47:46 PM

Yeeaaahhhhh .... that sounds gooooood ...... Alox......

Wha... Wait, no! Nooooo!!!!!

Ahhh! I DO! I WANT ALOX! Heaven forgive me! What have I become?!?  :rofl:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 08:52:14 PM
But I HATE that phillips paired with it, vastly preferring the Tinker's phillips.

WAIT, HOLD EVERYTHING :police:

What??? :o

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 08:54:02 PM

Yeeaaahhhhh .... that sounds gooooood ...... Alox......

Wha... Wait, no! Nooooo!!!!!

Ahhh! I DO! I WANT ALOX! Heaven forgive me! What have I become?!?  :rofl:

They're like little jewels in your hand...

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 08:56:14 PM

The phillips on my old Explorer won't slot into a #2 phillips head screw. That whole discussion started here:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36905.msg594601.html#msg594601

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 08:58:36 PM

The phillips on my old Explorer won't slot into a #2 phillips head screw. That whole discussion started here:

It's that "Slippery SAK Phillips" story we hear again and again... :sa:

That's why there's such a big LM following... :D

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 09:00:31 PM
Interesting thread :think:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:04:17 PM by theonew »

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 09:01:30 PM
I'm cruising EDCSource looking for a Deluxe Tinker now. Maybe the midnite manager...
Just get both like a true MT.O member.  Join us....jooooiiinnnn ussssss....... >:D :D
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 09:05:23 PM

I thought that at first at well, but, actually, it isn't. :)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 09:06:12 PM
Just get both like a true MT.O member.  Join us....jooooiiinnnn ussssss....... >:D :D

They are complementary...   :pok:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 09:06:31 PM

I thought that at first at well, but, actually, it isn't. :)
;) :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 09:09:16 PM

Not enough funds... yet...

I couldn't find a Deluxe Tinker with Felinevet, so I might wait a bit and try again.

As for the phillips head issue, Mr. Whippy, it's not the polish issue. Go check out the discussion. The head of the Explorer's Phillips won't go into a #2 screw head at all.

Theonew... I only have 2 SAKs, an old pre-1991 Explorer, and a Tinker. They have two completely different styles of phillips. The one on the explorer is on the same layer as a magnifying glass. The one on the tinker is located where most other SAKs have a corkscrew. So, I have very few examples to compare to. The Tinker's phillips is perfect. The one on the Explorer is ... well... it just doesn't fit into #2 screws at all.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 09:20:34 PM
I have to say I have a lot of SAKS with the inline phillips and they all look like the one in your picture but they all function beautifully on every phillips I've ever tried them on.

I'm off to find more phillips headed screws :ahhh

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 09:22:29 PM
welcome aboard  >:D >:D >:D >:D
custom swiss army knives

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 09:47:19 PM
But I HATE that phillips paired with it, vastly preferring the Tinker's phillips.

I wondered the same thing. I like the inline philips better for torque, but I don't care for the corkscrew of the mag glass, though...

I have to say I have a lot of SAKS with the inline phillips and they all look like the one in your picture but they all function beautifully on every phillips I've ever tried them on.

I'm off to find more phillips headed screws :ahhh

Even teh ones on my Spirit's look like this too, but mine have worked on all screws I've tried them on.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 10:34:53 PM
Just wait until you get an alox pioneer SAK.  The fit and finish, slim profile, crisp tool snap... oh boy that's what hooked me!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 10:48:13 PM
Oh and don't forget you'll need 2 of each. Might need a backup just in case. Also need 2 of every mod to make it fair. Welcome to the addiction. :)
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 11:14:41 PM
Amici,
I believe my next piece will be the Victorinox Spartan with wood scales. Although I'm not a big fan of the corkscrew, it definitely looks sharp and stream lined enough for pocket EDC carry. I only with that Vic will follow Wenger and release other patterns with wood scales. The super tinker or field master would be ideal so lets hope.

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 11:21:06 PM
I think you got a bad inline phillips with that one. I buy lots of Explorers just to mod that inline phillips to the Alox 93mm frame and they all fit a lot of phillips screws perfectly. I and most others think it's way more useful than the T-handle back driver that bumps the handle into everything. You should pick up a brand new Explorer and give it a try.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 11:48:48 PM
Just wait until you get an alox pioneer SAK.  The fit and finish, slim profile, crisp tool snap... oh boy that's what hooked me!

For me it was an electrician, then a soldier, but same idea  :tu:  :climber:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 12:08:20 AM
I don't have any interest in collecting, but I like the idea of having the best toolset for the least weight, and SAKs might meet that. I fear there may be modding involved though... which is a whole new avenue for my crazy.
Lynn,

I'll refrain from poking more fun at you for your predicament!  Everyone else has done that well enough.  I completely agree with your stance here.  I am most definitely not a collector, despite that my SAK holdings expanded by one today, a Wenger EvoGrip 81, bought specifically to go into my EDC first aid kit.

I too am searching for the perfect SAK for EDC.  I've come to the conclusion there isn't ONE, and that it will have to be two, and further, both need to be mods.  So, I wanted to share with you my conclusions....

First, is for regular, all the time, pocket carry.  That will be a Compact with a Cybertool layer in it for the bit driver and holder.  I currently have the compact, but am still working on acquiring the CT layer parts.

Second is for carry in my EDC bag.  That's going to be a new Explorer with a pair of pliers added in.  It will live in the MaxPed sheath on the side of my Timbuk2 messenger bag.

I am sincerely hoping those two will meet all my needs on a day to day basis.  I'm not including things like going on family camping trips, or other forms of non-regular outdoor recreation though...  I already have a couple of SAKs for that!  :D

Anyway, just wanted to share this with you, in hopes you might find some light at the end of the SAK EDC tunnel. 

In all honesty, I'm sure I'll probably end up buying another one after I get these, but for now, this is where I've set my sights so hopefully this will be of some help to you.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 12:28:27 AM
I would agree that for a serious EDC, the Cybertool driver is tough to beat.  Since it has a detent at 90 degrees, it can generate SERIOUS torque when needed.  It' is the best development in the VIctorinox line up (IMO).

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 12:43:45 AM
As I've never taken these things apart, how much torque can they handle before the pins start giving way or stretching? Also, I haven't been able to tell, the bits for the cybertool aren't standard size hex bits, are they? They look smaller than normal.

And, Heinz... I started the thread to poke fun at this predicament, which I assume most people here have experienced. So, feel free! :D

EDIT: Also... white Deluxe Tinker spotted on Felinevet's store. Soo... tempting... 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:41:58 AM by Lynn LeFey »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD