Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rubberizing Multitools?

Offline bobofish

Rubberizing Multitools?
on: December 07, 2006, 02:15:24 PM
Gents,
I wonder if anybody has tried to solve the problem of some multitools like the older style Leathermans, SOG PowerPlier, etc. by putting a bead of rubber on the edges?

I always forget what the stuff is called, but it's basically a rubberizer for tool handles that you can get at just about any well equipped hardware store or emporium. Those who fish for salmon & steelhead will know what I'm talking about; West Coast Floats are dipped in this rubber stuff to give them a lot of durability.

I figure all you'd have to do is get a can of this stuff, and either dip a Q-tip and spread along the edge of the handle (with the outermost blades deployed, so they don't get glued in) to get a nice bead along the handle. Alternately you could get one of those dental syringes or the syringes that come with refill Ink-jet ink to suck some up and spread for a finer bead.

Once it dried most of the way, you could just shave off whatever made its way into the tool bay and close the tools. To make sure the rubber stuck better, you could sand the steel next to the edge with a course paper.

Any thoughts?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Rubberizing Multitools?
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 09:19:33 PM
I have been planning on trying that as well but my local hardware store doesn't carry it any more.  It's great stuff- I had a can before and used it for all sorts of knife and tool handles.

I have a knockoff tool that has rubberized handles and it's really comfortable to use.  I've often said that I wish some of the better tool manufacturers would copy the knockoff!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Splat

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 11:31:49 PM
Plasti-Dip is one such product you're talking about.
Splat

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 07:38:26 PM
I've heard of this stuff before, but never tried it. Does it "stick" okay, or will it just start peeling off after a short time?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 07:46:27 PM
I don;t know how well it would stick to a multitool.  The knife and tool handles I tried it on were completely coated in the stuff, but with a multi it would just be on "one side" of the handle, so it might peel off.

I think if I am near Home Depot in the next few days I might try to find it and give it a shot.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Splat

Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 01:42:27 AM
As Def noted, you wouldn't want the coating inside because the individual tools wouldn't then fit. Only applying it on the outer side.... I don't think it'll hold up. I used Plasti-Dip on lots things but it was always a cover-all coating, if you know what I mean.
Splat

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 09:41:06 AM

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 12:57:53 PM
I don't know about multi tools, but I'm thinking about trying that egrip stuff out on the inside of my baseball mitt!  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 01:07:00 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%