Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

UK tesco's multitool & torch pack £2

Zed · 24 · 4007

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
UK tesco's multitool & torch pack £2
on: April 26, 2012, 12:45:13 PM
while riding back from a very muddy bike ride i popped into tesco's, not something i usualy do, well while checking out there camping/cycling section i came across 2 packs of a little mirca sized MT plus torch, they was reduced to £2 so i got both of them as i thought i could gift the other one and come on £2  :D well are they any good  :think: well the little MT is pretty snazzy its got a ti looking handles (paint) so i guess will rub off but will add to character  ;) as for the tools they are all more than useable, ive had a few of these cheaper little MT's and most have some issue with the tools but these seem ok, well worth £1  :D ok now for the nice looking torch well ill sum it up it crap  :-\ very dull so will light up a small area but not much else so disapointed with that, but i would pay £2 for the little MT so no big issue, here are some pics, sadly indoors as pouring down here .

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:49:03 PM by Zed »

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: UK tesco's multitool & torch pack £2
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 12:56:08 PM
Well, £2 doesn't hurt!

I find the small sprung pliers quite useful for light duty - changing split rings and other small tinkering.

Shame about the torch. Can you use it as a storage capsule instead? :D

A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 01:01:10 PM
Well, £2 doesn't hurt!

I find the small sprung pliers quite useful for light duty - changing split rings and other small tinkering.

Shame about the torch. Can you use it as a storage capsule instead? :D

yeah a large pill capsule   :rofl:  i tried the other one as as crap  :-\ shame, the little MT actually works well and is pretty well made, rivets instead of bolts etc, everything comes out nicely, awl pretty small but then so is the whole MT  :D blades even sharp'ish , file works well for nails etc and scissors cut  :D as you say a good MT for small tasks, as the drivers would be good for small electrical work, the wire cutter cut through some paper clips i have here with ease, and the pliers are a nice needle nose style, the Ti coloured paint has a rubber like feel to it,

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 01:08:33 PM
Not bad for 2 pounds.
I nearly bought something similar at LIDLs the other day but it was around 7Euro which looked a bit too much for a no brand potentially rubbish tool

So, do you label all your doors Zed??  :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 01:24:49 PM
Not bad for 2 pounds.
I nearly bought something similar at LIDLs the other day but it was around 7Euro which looked a bit too much for a no brand potentially rubbish tool

So, do you label all your doors Zed??  :D

:rofl:  well i do have dementia you know  :D no we did it for millie to learn how to spell certain words, most of them are removed now but i think that is the last one lol  :D

well i fiddle with the torch and stretched the spring on the cap a little longer and now is a a bit brighter i will fiddle more with it, if no joy im going to get another torch for the other pack and give it to angela as a little gift  :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 01:41:02 PM
That little multi is almost identical to one I got a while back, including the "latching shut" hook. It's wierd ... it's kind of horrendous build quality, which is somehow actually functional and quite useful  :think: Mine is blue and I got it from DX a while back, and I think it might be same as that Sheffield (brand, not place of manufacture) thing that Lynn Lefey (sp?) keeps raving about.

As for the torch, yeah - I've given up buying cheap ones for that reason. Trouble is I can't on with all the jargon and gibberish with lights and have no clue which are any good ... so I now just wait till Chrissie is selling something as I know it'll be worth getting  :rofl:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 01:48:12 PM
::)

I'm trrryyyying not to buy another light at the moment!

You already have the one I have been most impressed with recently - might have to get another one >:D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 01:52:53 PM
lol i was just about to post about the little locl Al as wondered what that little hook on the lanyard ring was for, here are some close ups,

its not out of shape im pushing it over as so strong  :D  :rofl:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 01:57:19 PM

You already have the one I have been most impressed with recently - might have to get another one >:D

I'd highly recommend one ... they're very good  >:D >:D >:D

lol i was just about to post about the little locl Al as wondered what that little hook on the lanyard ring was for, here are some close ups,

(Image removed from quote.)

That's the feller  :tu: I'm sure it's the one Lynn keeps mentioning as it has a can opener instead of bottle opener. Did you get the impression it should be a lot worse than it actually is too?  :D :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 02:04:32 PM

I'd highly recommend one ... they're very good  >:D >:D >:D

That's the feller  :tu: I'm sure it's the one Lynn keeps mentioning as it has a can opener instead of bottle opener. Did you get the impression it should be a lot worse than it actually is too?  :D :D :D

Totally Al, i even thought it had plastic handles  :D its slightly out of line when closed as they both are but then ive had micras the same, TBH for the money its a handy throw in a altoids type of tool, i might even put it on my key chain for a while but i dont think it will be on there long as ill probably find it as bulky as the micra  :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 03:15:36 PM
Oh well ill give it a go on my keychain, although already im thinking its to bulky  ::)  :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 07:39:07 PM
Yup. Minus the coating on yours, that's the same as my Sheffield 12010 (that I keep raving about), and a virtually identical 'Tool Choice Mini Multi Tool' I got a friend. Crappy fit and finish, but SO worth their cost.

I EDC one of those with a SOG Crosscut, and the pair compliment each other brilliantly.

As a total shocker... that dinky little can opener will open 15oz cans. Not quickly, but it does actually work, which shocked the crap out of me.

Scissors were pretty terrible at anything beyond thread and paper, but that covers a lot of their day-to-day use. And you need to be particularly careful deploying the awl. Nasty stabby little thing that, on mine, doesn't want to deploy.

I built both a pop-can alcohol stove and a tin can wood-gas stove with just the tools on this thing.

For the cost, I think it's an incredible tool. I'd recommend that you go get a few more to give to other folks. Mine has certainly earned my admiration over the time I've owned it.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 07:48:51 PM
Yup. Minus the coating on yours, that's the same as my Sheffield 12010 (that I keep raving about), and a virtually identical 'Tool Choice Mini Multi Tool' I got a friend. Crappy fit and finish, but SO worth their cost.

I EDC one of those with a SOG Crosscut, and the pair compliment each other brilliantly.

As a total shocker... that dinky little can opener will open 15oz cans. Not quickly, but it does actually work, which shocked the crap out of me.

Scissors were pretty terrible at anything beyond thread and paper, but that covers a lot of their day-to-day use. And you need to be particularly careful deploying the awl. Nasty stabby little thing that, on mine, doesn't want to deploy.

I built both a pop-can alcohol stove and a tin can wood-gas stove with just the tools on this thing.

For the cost, I think it's an incredible tool. I'd recommend that you go get a few more to give to other folks. Mine has certainly earned my admiration over the time I've owned it.

I think it will will well with my tinker as a combo when ive not got my explorer or sog pt, i like it as i gave away both my micras as although i like the scissors i would of liked something the same but with pliers, i had a gerber vice  :think: but found it very bulky on my keychain, i still find this a little bulky as dont like carrying much in my pocket but ill see how it goes, the coating is odd and like the black rubbery coating on my youngest little MT so will be interesting to see how long that last,  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 07:51:50 PM
Well, for just £2, that really does look to be OK. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 07:57:00 PM
And strangely enough, I'm currently carrying a Tinker with my EDC as well.

The little cheapo MT has good pliers, a VERY nice phillips, and some other decent tools. The Crosscut has awesome scissors, an eyeglass size flathead, awesome tweezers, and a long reaching flathead. The Tinker has more full-size tools, nice blades, an excellent awl, and yes, it's can opener will blow away the one on the cheapo MT. :D

Another good complimentary tool. I wouldn't recommend all three on a keychain, though.

My version weighs something like 1.6 oz (45 grams). The one I got my friend weighs about 2.1 oz (60 grams). Part of the difference is the handles on his are made of a thicker gauge of metal. Not sure if it'd change how comfortable it is on a keychain.

I'm also not sure how much I'd like this thing if it were the ONLY tiny MT I carried.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:58:48 PM by Lynn LeFey »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 08:17:44 PM
bargain gareth  ;)

i carry a vic eyeglass driver in the pill capsule so got that covered, i might grind the smallest flat head on this MT a little flatter as a bit rounded, the awl will see no use but who knows,i prefer the SAK tin opener but will give it a try, so handy things will be the file and the wire cutter (that work well) and the pliers, plus drivers for smalller sizes, so with the tinker ive got the larger drivers a bigger blade plus tweezers and toothpick so all in all most things covered,  :tu: ive doubled the split rings so i dont worry about it disapearing, although i wont be too out of pocket and got the other one hidden away  :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 08:26:39 PM
While the can opener on this little MT works... it's TERRIBLE. It very slowly nibbles away at the can. The one on the SAK is absolutely light-years better.

The awl on the MT is much like the philips driver... better at smaller tasks. The Awl on the little MT can mke very tiny holes, should such level of detail be needed. The SAK's awl, which I do love, is only suited for a larger scale. For instance, the gas vents on a pop-can alcohol stove are much better made with the little MT's awl. Again, a good compliment with the Tinker.

:tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 08:32:08 PM
While the can opener on this little MT works... it's TERRIBLE. It very slowly nibbles away at the can. The one on the SAK is absolutely light-years better.

The awl on the MT is much like the philips driver... better at smaller tasks. The Awl on the little MT can mke very tiny holes, should such level of detail be needed. The SAK's awl, which I do love, is only suited for a larger scale. For instance, the gas vents on a pop-can alcohol stove are much better made with the little MT's awl. Again, a good compliment with the Tinker.

:tu:

:tu: i have to admit the tin openers looks like hard work  :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 01:34:09 AM
It is the worst can opener I've tested on an MT... that would actually open cans. The problem is strictly one of size. It works, it's just so dinky it takes forever.

However, it DOES work, and it's better than trying to use a rock to hammer a blade tip into a can to open it, or any other crappy substitute.

Anyway, congrats on the find. It's a real bargain at the price you got it for, IMO. Keep us informed on how that weird finish material wears.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 08:56:39 AM
It is the worst can opener I've tested on an MT... that would actually open cans. The problem is strictly one of size. It works, it's just so dinky it takes forever.

However, it DOES work, and it's better than trying to use a rock to hammer a blade tip into a can to open it, or any other crappy substitute.

Anyway, congrats on the find. It's a real bargain at the price you got it for, IMO. Keep us informed on how that weird finish material wears.

Will do lynn , i call it sharks skin  :D    :tu:

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 08:41:23 PM
Zed, is that an alox Classic - with tweezers ! ? - in your third photo ?
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 09:14:33 PM
Zed, is that an alox Classic - with tweezers ! ? - in your third photo ?

Nope its a alox Cak with tweezers and toothpick  :D  although these scales would fit a Vic classic but too be honest this Cak is as good little keychain knife ,

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 11:43:58 PM
Cak ?   -  Czech army knife   Cambridge award knife   Cool accessory, kinetic 
It seems I am out of the Cak loop.  ?
Would dig an alox Classic with T & T !
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 09:01:03 AM
Cak ?   -  Czech army knife   Cambridge award knife   Cool accessory, kinetic 
It seems I am out of the Cak loop.  ?
Would dig an alox Classic with T & T !

CAK (chinese army knife)  :D im the same as ive had around 3 classics on my keychain and like having the T&T but the ive had all the handles break at some point on them so wanted a alox classic but with T&T this fits the bill plus is very well made, ive measured it up and these alox handles would fit a classic so one day i might just swap them over ,but for now it works well enough how it is  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%