Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sharpening the 93mm awl?

volbu · 18 · 5876

gr Offline volbu

Sharpening the 93mm awl?
on: May 02, 2012, 01:01:06 PM
Hello recently i started using the 93mm awl for whittling and i started wondering how could I sharpen the awl since its very useful and i guess the edge will get dull with the time?
Any experience on the matter?

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Re: Sharpening the 93mm awl?
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 01:19:23 PM
Yeah it's tricky. I screwed up the edge on mine by using it as a ferro-rod striker (works though). I gave it a long session on a stone (no idea what kind, sorry) and that's taken it back to half-decent, but I'd love more info on this too.
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 04:22:48 PM
I havent found an easy way yet.  It is awkward to hold it at the right angle for sure.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 05:20:59 PM
I might get booed out of here for suggesting it, but this might be one application where motorized sharpening means is justified.

I have a flat whetstone machine (actually adhesive-backed sandpaper on a disc) for sharpening plane irons and chisels. I might try that out. I'll snap a pic next time I'm down in the garage.

With the stone continually moving, one would only need to maintain the angle, not maintain the angle AND move it back and forth or in a circular motion.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 06:28:41 PM
I use a Sharpmaker most of the time when I sharpen knives, and would probably attempt to sharpen the reamer pretty much the same way scissors are sharpened on the Sharpmaker.

gr Offline volbu

Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 12:01:11 AM
I use a Sharpmaker most of the time when I sharpen knives, and would probably attempt to sharpen the reamer pretty much the same way scissors are sharpened on the Sharpmaker.
Who says i know how to sharpen scissors :P:)

[quote  author=Smaug link=topic=37254.msg598714#msg598714 date=1335972059]
I might get booed out of here for suggesting it, but this might be one application where motorized sharpening means is justified.

I have a flat whetstone machine (actually adhesive-backed sandpaper on a disc) for sharpening plane irons and chisels. I might try that out. I'll snap a pic next time I'm down in the garage.

With the stone continually moving, one would only need to maintain the angle, not maintain the angle AND move it back and forth or in a circular motion.
[/quote]

Sounds interesting but sadly i have no access to motorized sharpening means :(

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 01:08:04 AM
The 93mm awl is very easy to sharpen. It's kind of like sharpening a scandi grind knife. Lie the awl flat on a hone, lift the spine and you should be able to feel when the bevel angle is matched. While the awl on my Farmer wasn't particularly dull, it just took me about 3 minutes on a DMT extra fine hone to get it to shave leg hair.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 02:22:55 AM
Ya, I think the Reamer should be very easy to sharpen as it only has one side to do and it's pretty easy to see when the edge is layed on the stone correctly.  I'm a big fan of DMT sharpeners so I'd certainly recommend that, but really it seems even a basic file woudl work on the reamer.  Maybe there is something I'm missing.  I've touched up a few used ones that I bought, but have not had to do anything serious to one.

You can use the non-sharp edge for a striker with a fire-steel it works well also,

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 05:35:45 PM
Who says i know how to sharpen scissors :P:)

at 7:10 describes what I was thinking of.

us Offline Donald

Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 04:22:50 AM
I have sharpened the back by following the current angle and then tried to smooth the front  along the edge with something very fine.

gr Offline volbu

Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 12:07:39 AM
I have sharpened the back by following the current angle and then tried to smooth the front  along the edge with something very fine.

Thats the trick ;)

I finally got to sharpen my 93mm all on my new used Rancher, it was in very bad condition but I got it to be sharper than my new harvester!

The only problem is the point is by no means so pointy!! Any tricks about that? How can I get it to be as new??
Feels its going to be really hard!!!

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 12:10:46 AM

+1  :tu:

Same here. Spyderco TASM brings it come every time. Also use a Pedigree green eraser to remove the metal particles from the stones after use.

I also use the fine stone around the edges to make them square-sharp, not razor-sharp. Have done the same with the Leatherman Juice awls. Hope you filed the edge of the blade in one direction only, following the surface to the outer point. - Going back and forth with a file ruins the edge.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:15:23 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 10:18:23 PM
Color me confused but what’s the issue?  Unlike a knife blade, the 93mm has a nice broad bevel that’s easy to follow. Just take a diamond sharping stone, follow the bevel, and give it a few swipes.

gb Offline user24

Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 04:42:18 PM
My issue was that it's a chisel grind so I ended up with a massive burr and no idea how to get rid of it; normally you swap sides and that sorts out the burr.

You can't even give it a few strokes on the flat side to knock the burr off because the awl has that lip so you can open the tool, and the lip means you can't lay that side flat on a stone.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:44:27 PM by user24 »

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 04:49:40 PM
Sure you can enough.
Refine the edge more until the burr is thinner, then strop it both sides till it's gone.
Or run the edge along a piece of wood, this will remove any traces of a burr.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:52:51 PM by Wootz »

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 05:11:55 PM
What about using a steel to remove the burr :think:

Sent from Endor using Schlapatok
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

gb Offline user24

Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 05:28:32 PM
yeah a strop or steel would work. I have neither, but I do wear a leather belt and sometimes strop on it (without compound), so I'll give that a shot.

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 09:05:34 PM
yeah a strop or steel would work. I have neither, but I do wear a leather belt and sometimes strop on it (without compound), so I'll give that a shot.
Stropping is good once you have an edge on the awl...I use a piece of sole leather I got from the cobblers loaded with Autosol ;)
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%