Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Spirit X or LM Charge TTi

Poll

If you didnt *need* one but simply wanted one for the sake of owning one, at the same 65€ shipped which one would *you* buy as your 1st MT, or which of the 2 generates more joy in you, personally?

A Victorinox SwissTool Spirit model, e.g. Spirit X
49 (57.6%)
The Leatherman Charge TTi
33 (38.8%)
With this money i would buy some other MT which brings even more joy!
3 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 85

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: Victorinox Spirit X or LM Charge TTi
Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 05:07:47 AM
I had a Wave, and was pretty meh on it.  OHO blades on most MTs don't work well for me, being a lefty.  I got a Spirit X last week, and love it.  It feels better in my hand, I like the scissors better, and the large flat driver works better for me as a prybar, which is a big use for me throughout the day.  Same with the can opener, opening tint cans all day. 
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline powerring

• In brightest day....
Reply #31 on: May 05, 2012, 11:45:14 AM
No Charge here but I do have three Spirits.   :whistle:

I do have a Wave also so I'll use it as a proxy for the Charge.  I would lean towards it if you do not carry a secondary knife and if you require OHO.  I prefer the Spirit X in most other respects.  I find it far easier to get to the interior tools on the Spirit X than the Wave.

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 04:27:35 PM
3.0238.L, i ordered this article number from amazon eu (57€ shipped). i am guessing that the standard leather sheath without rotating clip is included. official Swiss list price is 159.00CHF (i called victorinox.ch hehe; local German retail price is 145.00€, which is about consistent with the exchange rate), amazon.com sells it for amazon.com sells it for rather low 108USD, i dont know how amazon is able to offer such low prices.

For our information, the official Swiss list price for the Vinox Minichamp ( i *would* be interested in it too because it complements the Spirit in some way ) is 37.00CHF. These CHF prices are also the ones adopted in their local factory shop and are called "UVP" (engl. MSRP).

within a few days of delivery i am gonna be a proud and joyful Spirit owner ( i dont mind the butter blade at this price point :whistle: ), thanks to everyone -- this thread helped me a lot.

besides nutnfancy's video review... was very influential to my purchase decision and helpful too. sorry for the many price quotes, just wanted to collect relevant info on pricing, comparison and what kind of strange deal i realized :facepalm:

will let you know if amazon sends me the right thing (the eu website is full of listing and database errors, wrong pictures etc. and flashaholics know about it).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 04:31:59 PM by kreisler »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 06:21:17 PM
I got a Swisstool from amazon Uk, same as amazon eu SARL a couple of years ago for not much. Then, a week after, the price went up by 50%, then down by 10% and so on. For some reason the prices fluctuate quite a lot, but when they are cheap they are really cheap. If you wait you can get most tools there for a low price, though the US is usually even cheaper so I buy most of my multitools from tthe US.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 08:32:36 PM
Here a self-updating price chart of the Spirit X in € (Germany):

i compared it with the xe.com chart of the EUR-CHF exchange rate and there doesnt seem any logical connection or coupling between the Spirit pricing and the exchange rate -- thanks god.

to me, the joy of a possession is coupled with its acquisition price. is silly but i do feel more joy with high value objects (say simple stuffz like books, CDs, flashlights, tools, ..) which would cost a lot and were acquired by me at low prices. optimal case: a high value gift!  :gimme:

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 08:32:53 PM
Tough call  :think:  The bottom line is you need to try both, I know that doesn't help much but which ever one you go for you will always wonder what the other would have been like. Both are very good Multitools right at the top of the food chain so to speak.

If you really push me for an answer I'd have to say Spirit  :multi:

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 08:44:22 PM
Tough call  :think:  The bottom line is you need to try both,
in case i dont fall for the ordered Spirit, i will ask some local dealer to send over an (used/unused) review sample of the Leatherman charge (TTi/Al/..) as inspection copy. i dont think that any neighbor of mine or RL friend owns an original LM.

on the other hand, in case i fall in love with the ordered Spirit, my attitude will be not to look any further.

btw i think similarly about ladies and girl-friends (oops, that was uncalled for :twak: haha)

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 12:33:49 AM
If the prices were the same as in your first post, I'd go for TTi, because depends on your local price, either TTi is a bargain or spirit is overpriced. But as you said later there is a 30 euro difference, then spirit no doubt. I have the "regular" version of leatherman, i.e. wave and surge, but never went for the TTi because I don't think the price premium is worth what you get in return.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 02:21:54 AM
Which of the 2 MT's generate more joy with you, personally?

Based on that I would say the Spirit

I've enjoyed using mine :tu:
Defend the Hive!!!

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 03:15:40 AM
--OT on--
For our information, the official Swiss list price for the Vinox Minichamp ( i *would* be interested in it too because it complements the Spirit in some way ) is 37.00CHF. These CHF prices are also the ones adopted in their local factory shop
oops, i've also pulled the trigger for the Minichamp. found a website with 22.50€ regular price shipped, which is about the same as the 29.00$ on amazon.com. i didnt understand how the EDC source works (felinevet) and the shipping costs to eu would have been a deal breaker imho
--OT off--

Looks like the majority in this thread has voted for the Spirit -- at least regarding my specific way of posing the question (joy, enjoyment, joyful, joyous, ..). Looking very forward to the Vinox shipment(s). For sure i will post my impressions and opinion in a strong clear way once i got to experience the tools.

Choosing a favorite/best flashlight was a bit harder .. I did that in fall/autumn 2011 and since then bought 13 lights. Crossing fingers that i wont buy more than i already ordered: the Spirit Plus (with butter blade), and the Minichamp.

ca Offline sjian

Reply #40 on: May 08, 2012, 07:37:01 AM
Choosing a favorite/best flashlight was a bit harder .. I did that in fall/autumn 2011 and since then bought 13 lights.

Ah flashlights, the worst part is that every year they get either brighter, so you always have an excuse to get a new one.
"The most dangerous tool is the user"

gr Offline Aleister

Reply #41 on: May 10, 2012, 08:54:37 PM
While I find it somewhat easy to choose my favorite flashlights, it is not so easy with multitools...

Victorinox Spirit, I love it! It has far better philips and straight screwdrivers than TTi bits are, every tool is accessible from the outside, very nice scissors, everything opens an closes with a firm snap and it screams "quality".

Leatherman Charge TTi, I love it too! OHO plain and serrated blades (really nice), pocket clip, it uses bits (so you can have with you many different "screwdrivers" in only a tiny space) but scissors are tiny.

What would I get? Both. What would I get first? Vic Spirit if it had a clip. As it is, I would get Charge TTi because I am not using sheaths and all my edc tools are always clipped in my pockets.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:57:48 PM by Aleister »

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #42 on: May 10, 2012, 09:26:48 PM
In my (not so) humble opinion, they're both amazing tools. Trying to pick which one is "best" is like trying to choose which of your kids you love more!

Probably not the advice you want to hear, but my suggestion is that you get both. They're both best-in-class, and in using them both you'll learn what features matter most to you:tu:

For me, the one on my belt is 90% of the time either the Spirit (Serrated Spatula™ model) or an old Leatherman PST-II. (It still packs the most utility into 4" tool that I've found, and I've tried a lot of multis!) But my EDC bag always has my modded Charge Ti, which is the basis for my whole EDC toolkit. I even have a saw for it.  :D

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: May 10, 2012, 09:41:54 PM
I voted for Spirit.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #44 on: May 11, 2012, 10:05:17 PM
I have to agree that getting both is adviseable.  They are both incredible tools and you could go either way.   You have to find what you want out of them to see what works for you.  I havent had a spirit x, but i have had a spirit and i loved it, but i prefer needlenose pliers. I now have a charge TTi and i love it too!

Sent from my myphone using Crapatalk

Offline Snipe315

Reply #45 on: May 14, 2012, 09:34:29 PM
First, let me say HELLO to everyone. 

:salute:

I've carried a Multitool virtually everyday for over 20 years (began in the USMC back in the late 80s & early 90s).  I've owned quite a few (Leathermans, Gerber, Buck, Swiss, SOG).

The one I carry today is the same model I've carried for over 6 years; the Leatherman Charge.  I recently replaced my old Charge Ti with a new Charge TTi.  My Charge Ti never failed, never broke, and never rusted.  I used it virtually everyday for one task or another.  I purcahsed the new TTi primarily to get the newer serrated blade with the rescue hook and to have a backup in case I ever lost  my EDC.

While I don't have the newer Spirit X, I did have an old Swisstool.  I found it nice but not nearly as useful as a Leatherman.  After seeing some reviews about the Spirit X, I'm sure its a fine MT but I'll still keep my Charge.

Of course, as a Marine before and a technician now, I actually use my tool virtually everyday.

us Offline powerring

• In brightest day....
Reply #46 on: May 29, 2012, 09:39:32 PM
The previous post reminded me that there are several variations of the Spirit.  For those who don't know, the Spirit X variation has a traditional knife blade where the regular Spirit has a "butter knife":  a non pointed, serrated blade.  When comparing the Charge and Spirit, this will be a vital difference for some. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:54:33 PM by powerring »

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #47 on: May 29, 2012, 10:52:21 PM
I have a Spirit RT edition (which is actually a Spirit X) since last summer and since last week I also own 2 Spirits with the butter blade, (got a great deal on these two) and I must say, the butter blade doesn't bother me at all.  It's very usable, and I think it looks kinda cool ...

I also own a Charge TTi, and although I really like the TTi, I prefer the Spirit for EDC.

Just my 2 cents  ;).

P.S. Enjoy your new tool, but do know that we expect some pics once you get it  :pok:.

ca Offline scorpion008

• I travel Light: Wave with a pocket clip
Reply #48 on: January 19, 2013, 01:35:04 AM
Necro! Does anyone pocket carry the Spirit without a clip mod?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #49 on: January 19, 2013, 01:50:48 AM
Yes, me  :D Pocket carry is my preferred method most of the time

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline SwissArmy Zippo

Reply #50 on: January 19, 2013, 02:25:51 AM
The spirit x is the closest thing that exists to multitool perfection.

100% agree.

us Offline Yalius

Reply #51 on: January 19, 2013, 02:35:30 AM
I'd look at it this way.

If you're getting a tool for the experience of using a tool, go with the Spirit. There is a sort of satisfaction in using it that most other tools can't match. But, if you're going to get a tool for the purpose of getting some task done with as little trouble as possible, go with the Charge. It's like two different design philosophies, one for recreation and one for "let's get this done and go home."

ca Offline scorpion008

Reply #52 on: January 19, 2013, 03:23:35 AM
For the sake of discussion, let's throw deluxe tinker in there too. It has a great load-out and it's a lot smaller than a wave/charge. Does it work as a substitute for most tasks? No need to go in depth, I would simply like to know if $40 can do pretty much as much as $90.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: January 19, 2013, 05:01:45 AM
I can see your dilemma, tough choice.............

So, I'll make it easy for you

Audrey Hepburn (Breakfast at Tiffanys)
OR
Lady GaGa

One's the epitome of class, polished to perfection - the other is basically a buffer girl at heart in a fancy dress with a tongue that's wickedly sharp.

simple eh.. :D

hint...Lovely Audrey can be the Spirit  :drool:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:22:01 AM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Yalius

Reply #54 on: January 19, 2013, 06:19:48 AM
I can see your dilemma, tough choice.............

So, I'll make it easy for you

Audrey Hepburn (Breakfast at Tiffanys)
OR
Lady GaGa

I'd say it's more like Carey Grant vs Humphrey Bogart. One polished and elegant, the other... not so much, but knows how to get things done.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #55 on: January 19, 2013, 09:20:49 AM
For the sake of discussion, let's throw deluxe tinker in there too. It has a great load-out and it's a lot smaller than a wave/charge. Does it work as a substitute for most tasks?

It's a different class of tool. The backside phillips on a 91mm will tear the tool apart trying to remove a phillips wood screw. Ask me how I know. The phillips on the Spirit and Charge can handle that task no problem. The flathead/crate opener on the Spirit is MUCH more robust than the flathead on the 91mm or even the 93mm ALOX knives. Pliers are of a whole different class. When you ask 'does it work as a substitute for most Tasks', that really depends on how heavy duty most of your tasks are. The 91mm SAK is a great LIGHT DUTY tool. The Spirit and Charge are medium/heavy duty, depending on the task. This is a generalization, and some 91mm tools are just as good as what's on the Charge or Spirit, like the awl, can opener, etc. Just my view. YMMV

ca Offline scorpion008

Reply #56 on: January 19, 2013, 03:04:30 PM
I asked because I was looking at the spirit, which lead me to looking at spydercos to fix the no real main blade problem. Then I started looking for multis cheaper than the spirit because the spydercos were >$40.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: January 20, 2013, 04:07:38 PM
I asked because I was looking at the spirit, which lead me to looking at spydercos to fix the no real main blade problem. Then I started looking for multis cheaper than the spirit because the spydercos were >$40.
Have a look at Byrd knives, they are Spyderco's budget brand and are good value for money. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline scorpion008

Reply #58 on: January 20, 2013, 05:23:31 PM
I was actually looking at the bug (lol), ladybug, ambitious, dragonfly, and delica. Which ones are not made in china?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #59 on: January 20, 2013, 09:13:01 PM
Yes, me  :D Pocket carry is my preferred method most of the time

Same here :tu:
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!