Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Spirit X or LM Charge TTi

Poll

If you didnt *need* one but simply wanted one for the sake of owning one, at the same 65€ shipped which one would *you* buy as your 1st MT, or which of the 2 generates more joy in you, personally?

A Victorinox SwissTool Spirit model, e.g. Spirit X
49 (57.6%)
The Leatherman Charge TTi
33 (38.8%)
With this money i would buy some other MT which brings even more joy!
3 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Spirit X or LM Charge TTi
Reply #60 on: January 20, 2013, 09:35:37 PM
The Spirit is better built , has better implements/implement density . It's much nicer ergonomically . I guess it just depends on how much you care about OHO , and the Diamond file .

Don't get me wrong , they are the top two middleweight contenders . The Leatherman U.T.A. works well with the Spirit .

Chris

ca Offline scorpion008

• I travel Light: Wave with a pocket clip
Reply #61 on: January 20, 2013, 09:51:41 PM
Do you think the Spyderco ladybug could cover my oho edc blade needs?

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #62 on: January 21, 2013, 05:30:16 AM
Do you think the Spyderco ladybug could cover my oho edc blade needs?

It's a nice little blade for sure. That said, I think the Dragonfly (or its cousin, the Byrd Robin) is a better size.

us Offline SwissArmy Zippo

Reply #63 on: January 21, 2013, 06:09:37 AM
The sprit x all the way!  :sak:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #64 on: January 21, 2013, 06:13:52 AM
The Spirit is better built , has better implements/implement density . It's much nicer ergonomically . I guess it just depends on how much you care about OHO , and the Diamond file .

I agree with this statement.  I think the Spirit is a bit more versatile due to some better implements/implement density.  The OHO knives on the Charge are nice, but not a necessity, IMO anyway.  I know it can be a deciding factor for many.  I do like the diamond file, but I don't file much of anything, so it's not a deal breaker. 

It's a tough call for sure ???  I own both though, and I love each of them.  I don't think you can really go wrong with either  :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #65 on: January 21, 2013, 07:48:24 AM
One bad thing about the Charge TTi, besides the price, as that annoying cap crimper. It really isn't worth having if you don't have need for one. As to why Leatherman insists on putting such a ridiculous feature on the pliers is beyond me. Not like they go out of their way to give the consumers what they really want.

The scales are awesome & comfortable. The file on the Charge & Wave are fantastic.

There is no awl (with or without a thread hole) but a redundant flathead. You'd think with a large bit driver Leatherman would realize that's just going to make someone use a redundant flathead for a pry bar. Leatherman must have a fetish for fleathead drivers.
Put something useful in there, like an awl. There's been countless mods to prove it can be done. And Dave C. just doesn't know Leatherman tools. He placed the awl on his customized Wave in the middle, with the lanyard on the outside then wondered why it would not close. :twak:

There are removable lanyard & pocket clips that fit as accessories. If you get tired of coaxing the under-the-scale lanyard attachment, clip that thing out and have use for an MTO Charge saw there while keeping the pocket clip on.

The small bit driver is okay, is good to have one on you. Have used mine twice. Guess it is better than yet another redundant bit driver.

Voted for the TTi, as I like mine despite the cap crimper. As for the Spirit, cannot say a thing, never owned one. They are too expensive (to me) for a curiosity.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #66 on: January 21, 2013, 08:34:58 AM
One bad thing about the Charge TTi, besides the price, as that annoying cap crimper. It really isn't worth having if you don't have need for one. As to why Leatherman insists on putting such a ridiculous feature on the pliers is beyond me. Not like they go out of their way to give the consumers what they really want.

The scales are awesome & comfortable. The file on the Charge & Wave are fantastic.

There is no awl (with or without a thread hole) but a redundant flathead. You'd think with a large bit driver Leatherman would realize that's just going to make someone use a redundant flathead for a pry bar. Leatherman must have a fetish for fleathead drivers. (Image removed from quote.)
Put something useful in there, like an awl. There's been countless mods to prove it can be done. And Dave C. just doesn't know Leatherman tools. He placed the awl on his customized Wave in the middle, with the lanyard on the outside then wondered why it would not close. :twak:

There are removable lanyard & pocket clips that fit as accessories. If you get tired of coaxing the under-the-scale lanyard attachment, clip that thing out and have use for an MTO Charge saw there while keeping the pocket clip on.

The small bit driver is okay, is good to have one on you. Have used mine twice. Guess it is better than yet another redundant bit driver.

Voted for the TTi, as I like mine despite the cap crimper. As for the Spirit, cannot say a thing, never owned one. They are too expensive (to me) for a curiosity.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of that crimper either.  I really have no use for it, and it takes up valuable plier head surface space.  Perhaps there are some other ways it can be useful, but I don't really know of any from my experience anyway. 

I actually filed the redundant flathead down to an awl.  Not the greatest awl, but still more useful than another flathead.  I think you're onto something when you say they have a flathead fetish.   :cheers:
K-Tibbs

ca Offline sjian

Reply #67 on: February 11, 2013, 04:54:36 AM
I've noticed that the "redundant" flat head isn't a standard size, it's too big to fit in most the screws that I've tried to use it for and it doesn't seem to match up in size with any of Leatherman's removable bits.

"The most dangerous tool is the user"

Reply #68 on: February 11, 2013, 05:03:35 AM
I've noticed that the "redundant" flat head isn't a standard size, it's too big to fit in most the screws that I've tried to use it for and it doesn't seem to match up in size with any of Leatherman's removable bits.

That's the one Leatherman removed because their customers used it as a by bar. They removed it and stuck in two more redundant flatheads. They sure have a fetish for them things...  :facepalm:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #69 on: February 11, 2013, 09:25:50 AM

That's the one Leatherman removed because their customers used it as a by bar. They removed it and stuck in two more redundant flatheads. They sure have a fetish for them things...  --  was referring to the Surge.

The flathead on the Charge makes for a great spot for an awl.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%