Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Silversmith

J-sews · 13 · 5700

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Leatherman Silversmith
on: February 07, 2008, 06:31:33 AM
At the Leatherman booth, we met Sergio Del Bene, long time friend of Tim Leatherman, and Adrian Pallarol, the silversmith responsible for the 25th Anniversary Silver Charge tools. Both of these gentlemen are from Argentina, and both are great spokesmen for the Leatherman Tool Group.

Above is a file photo of Adrian (left) and Sergio (right)

Adrian has been customizing Leatherman multitools for a number of years now. We first saw his work in phographs that NeitherExtreme took during his visit to the Leatherman retail store last year. Those photos were incredible, but to see this man's work in person was absolutely stunning! Intricate detail, exquisite workmanship, and old world craftmanship. Each piece is a true work of art.

These masterpieces really draw a crowd, so it was not a huge surprise to find Adrian's work prominantly displayed at the Leatherman booth. However, we were quite surprised to see the man himself, all the way here from Argentina! And apparently he has to earn his air fare back and forth, because Tim had him working like a dog the whole time we were there! :D

No kidding, right in the midst of thousands of people, here sat Adrian Pallarol the Silversmith, precisely tap-tap-tapping away with his hammer and punch on yet another intricate Leatherman Charge scale! It was obvious that the guy really focuses on his work, as he was able to keep at it even while taking the time to answer a slew of questions from yours truly.

I learned quite a bit from Adrian, but am not quite ready to become a silversmith myself. ;)  Somewhat surprisingly, the process to make silver scales actually begins with copper. That's right, a copper version of the finished scale, right down to the very last detail, must first be produced. Adrian uses a number of techniques, both ancient and modern, to carve out this master scale. The detailed basket weaving and floral patterns are all carved by hand of course, while the racy LEATHERMAN logo is cut with a modern pantograph machine.

After the copper master scale is completed, it is clamped to the ram of an EDM (electrical discharge machining) machine. The EDM uses electricity flowing through the copper master to burn a reverse-image cavity in a block of steel.

Once the cavity dimensions are complete, the block of steel becomes a mold. Pieces of silver are melted down over an open flame, then the liquid silver is ladeled into the mold by hand, one scale at a time. (Like I said, a mix of modern and ancient) Once it cools, the rough silver scale is removed from the mold and it looks like this:

Now comes the really tedious and intricate work. Adrian uses his hammer and a number of tiny little punches and awls to do the final carving and detailing of the scale. This portion of the work is done entirely by hand. Last comes drilling out the pivot bolt holes and hand polishing the silver. The end result can be quite breathtaking.

So if you are exclusively a multitool user, you are probably rolling your eyes right now, wondering why on earth someone would want to beautify a tool?  But if you really enjoy seeing an artist work in his true medium, then you will appreciate the work of this Master Silversmith.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline carl

Re: Leatherman Silversmith
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 06:41:22 AM
Wow!  MTs have really come a ways, almost to showpiece/collector status in the regular retail world.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 07:09:03 AM
Amazing stuff.
"

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:47:21 AM
I'm not usually a fan of that sort of thing, but there gorgeous :drool:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 11:39:43 AM
Very impressive! :o :drool:
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 12:45:34 PM
Look ar those sheaths!!!
B

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 01:31:13 PM
Silver Leatherman, if I bought that, the wife will kill me.  Before I even had a chance to enjoy that tool :cry:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 12:39:06 AM
Those are some amazing pieces!

Thanks for taking the time to find something a little different for us to see. It's interesting to remember that their is still an aesthetic side to some of these tools.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 01:00:13 AM
I wonder if LM would just sell those amazing sheaths!!
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 02:46:44 AM
I wonder if LM would just sell those amazing sheaths!!

As a matter of fact, these sheaths will be available later this year. The cost is only $499 per sheath, plus they throw in a 25th Anniversary Silver Charge absolutely free! :D

Seriously though, these new sheaths look really sweet. They are genuine cowhide leather, with a soft suede lining.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 03:12:07 AM
I know! Thats a WICKED good deal! Only $499 and they include a Charge! LOL
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 10:17:36 PM
Oops, I forgot to mention that Adrian Pallarol has his own website: http://www.adrianpallarols.com/site_updates/leatherman.htm

Check it out if you haven't already. The pieces he has on display are absolutely breathtaking.  :)

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 08:59:19 AM
Silverware is one of my other collectables, but I'm not sure I would combine it with Multis.

For a start, it would halve the things I have to talk about!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%