Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Special Swiss Multi Tool Knife - Purpose?

00 Offline elsinox

Special Swiss Multi Tool Knife - Purpose?
on: April 10, 2020, 03:56:03 PM
Hi. I found this special swiss pocket knife from Tresch, Zurich, with some special tools where I dont know the purpose. Can somebody help?

For me it seems to be a knife for a special profession. There`s a solid metal file, that can be changed; on the back there`s a firesteel to make fire, there are 3 different blades, 2 tools I have no clue for what they are, a corkscrew (but I dont think its made to open wine bottles), a saw, and 1 tool I know from leather business to punch holes. I`m sure someone out there knows the real purpose of this knife...
IMG_7891 - Kopie.JPG
* IMG_7891 - Kopie.JPG (Filesize: 76.13 KB)
IMG_7892 - Kopie.JPG
* IMG_7892 - Kopie.JPG (Filesize: 172.96 KB)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: Special Swiss Multi Tool Knife - Purpose?
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 05:03:45 PM
Just a guess, but seems like it could be a good tool for a cobbler.

The auger could be a good woodworking tool. Perhaps for making or chasing dowel pin holes.  :dunno:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline MiniChamp

Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 05:20:35 PM
Interesting knife Elsinox. Can you post pictures of the top and bottom with the tools closed?

00 Offline elsinox

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 05:52:51 PM
Just a guess, but seems like it could be a good tool for a cobbler.

The auger could be a good woodworking tool. Perhaps for making or chasing dowel pin holes.  :dunno:

Yes maybe, could be. I thought It should be something industrial, with metal included, maybe a welder or something. Use the firesteel to make fire, use the metalfile for some fine work (I mean that the metalfile is replaceable means, that it is meant for heavily use). Or something you need leather and steel together, something for horses, a farrier or blacksmith.

Here are two more fotos, and a foto of a second similar knife from the same knifemaker, with almost identical tools.
IMG_7869.JPG
* IMG_7869.JPG (Filesize: 92.5 KB)
IMG_7890.JPG
* IMG_7890.JPG (Filesize: 91.68 KB)
IMG_7866.JPG
* IMG_7866.JPG (Filesize: 238.11 KB)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 08:53:49 PM
Hi. I found this special swiss pocket knife from Tresch, Zurich, with some special tools where I dont know the purpose. Can somebody help?

For me it seems to be a knife for a special profession. There`s a solid metal file, that can be changed; on the back there`s a firesteel to make fire, there are 3 different blades, 2 tools I have no clue for what they are, a corkscrew (but I dont think its made to open wine bottles), a saw, and 1 tool I know from leather business to punch holes. I`m sure someone out there knows the real purpose of this knife...

That notch on the left bolster, near the corkscrew, in the first pic. Is it a pair of tweezers, inserted there?

I say that is a SAK base upgraded knife. Seems they took the basic SAK design and added some stuff.

Thanks for sharing!

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline elsinox

Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 10:58:27 PM
Yes , those are tweezers.

It looks like a SAK, but you have to know: that knife was produced at least 50 years before the first champion of victorinox, and already had 6 layers.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 02:24:55 AM
It reminds me much more of 19th century multifunction knives than any SAK I've seen.
Rambler

Offline MiniChamp

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 11:24:18 AM
Here are two more fotos, and a foto of a second similar knife from the same knifemaker, with almost identical tools.
Thanks! It looks to me like a fairly general purpose 19th century multiblade knife. The auger type corkscrew and the leather punch (that share one of the side layers) were both very common tools on multiblade knives back then, as were multiple knife blades and the wood saw. The two tools that share the layer on the opposite side look to me like a kind of awl and a small screw driver. The two tools that make this knife look to me quite special are the metal file (or is it a file/saw?) and the fire starter. In particular, while such metal files are very common on modern multitools (at least since the 1950's), they were not so common on older multiblade knives. I can imagine that one potential reason for this is that they may have been relatively difficult to make (due to the required hardness). I can also imagine that perhaps making the innovative two-part design on this knife was actually simpler than it would have been to make a corresponding single piece implement.

It looks like a SAK, but you have to know: that knife was produced at least 50 years before the first champion of victorinox, and already had 6 layers.
Well, in terms of counting layers, Victorinox never came close to the kind of marvels that some people produced in the 19th centuary, like the 1851 Norfolk Exhibition Knife:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 11:29:59 AM by MiniChamp »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 11:31:19 AM
Thanks! It looks to me like a fairly general purpose 19th century multiblade knife. The auger type corkscrew and the leather punch (that share one of the side layers) were both very common tools on multiblade knives back then, as were multiple knife blades and the wood saw. The two tools that share the layer on the opposite side look to me like a kind of awl and a small screw driver. The two tools that make this knife look to me quite special are the metal file (or is it a file/saw?) and the fire starter. In particular, while such metal files are very common on modern multitools (at least since the 1950's), they were not so common on older multiblade knives. I can imagine that one potential reason for this is that they may have been relatively difficult to make (due to the required hardness). I can also imagine that perhaps making the innovative two-part design on this knife was actually simpler than it would have been to make a corresponding single piece implement.
Well, in terms of counting layers, Victorinox never came close to the kind of marvels that some people produced in the 19th centuary, like the 1851 Norfolk Exhibition Knife:

(Image removed from quote.)

I can afford a champion, maybe an XAVT. But not sure about that one! :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 12:23:38 PM

(Image removed from quote.)
Far out, that knife is astonishing in its amazing awesomeness. Those blades with scenes etched onto them. It even has a tensioned hacksaw and a backsaw. The scissor spring is very similar to the Vic single leaf one.
Rambler

00 Offline elsinox

Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 02:27:59 PM
Yes, its a great knife. Rodgers worked 2 years for it for this exhibition.

Julius Pilz created a 150 piece knife (much more as the Rodgers knife above) you could regular order.

http://m.noze-cz.cz/virtualni-museum/mikulasovice-nixdorf/pilz-julius/pilz-julius-katalogy/

20200412_142038.jpg
* 20200412_142038.jpg (Filesize: 37.25 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%